• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LHP vs. RHP

Straw Dog

Hello walkers of the Left Hand Path!

I had a question concerning the LHP/RHP dichotomy. Does everyone really think that they are totally separate paths from each other? Or is there a considerable amount of overlay between the two in practice?

Whenever I consider this dichotomy, I think that I happen to follow both paths simultaneously. I don't see the self as separate from society and the earth or the world as separate from the self. They inter-penetrate one another. Selfishness involves a great deal of altruistic acts and altruism involves a great deal of selfish motivation. I know this sounds like a contradiction, but it's because I don't really believe in egoism or altruism. They're just another artificial duality imposed onto natural being IMO.

Am I way off in my thinking? Or can the LHP and RHP be two sides to the same coin in your opinions? What do you all think? It's your thoughts that really matter in these threads, not mine. I don't want to misrepresent the consensus view so I hope I didn't overstep any bounds by voicing my own opinion here.

Erebus

Am I way off in my thinking?

Nope, I think you've hit on a valid point. The way I see it is that the LHP and RHP are ideals to shoot for (selfishness and selflessness). It's only natural that we will fall somewhere in between albeit perhaps leaning more one way than the other.

There is certainly overlap too, though I find that in most cases the reasons for performing the same actions are totally different. I recently went to a new pub to meet a friend's boyfriend and his group of friends, the first thing I did was to get a round in. This wasn't because I'm particularly generous, it was just the easiest way of endearing myself to a new group of people very quickly.
I think in most cases the RHP encourages generosity because it's a good thing to do, while if the LHP encourages it it's either because you want the warm feeling altruism provides (we are social animals after all) or you think you can ultimately get something out of your "investment".

Straw Dog

Nope, I think you've hit on a valid point. The way I see it is that the LHP and RHP are ideals to shoot for (selfishness and selflessness). It's only natural that we will fall somewhere in between albeit perhaps leaning more one way than the other.

There is certainly overlap too, though I find that in most cases the reasons for performing the same actions are totally different. I recently went to a new pub to meet a friend's boyfriend and his group of friends, the first thing I did was to get a round in. This wasn't because I'm particularly generous, it was just the easiest way of endearing myself to a new group of people very quickly.
I think in most cases the RHP encourages generosity because it's a good thing to do, while if the LHP encourages it it's either because you want the warm feeling altruism provides (we are social animals after all) or you think you can ultimately get something out of your "investment".

Thanks for the response.

I've long been bouncing back and forth within this particular dichotomy. I couldn't decide if self-interest was a better motivator or communal interest. Eventually I just came to the conclusion that I couldn't properly distinguish between the self and the world due to their inter-penetration. What was the self without the world? The world defines the self and the self defines the world. I am nothing outside what I eat, drink, observe, communicate, etc, etc with my surroundings. So I guess my "morality" would be based on a personal anarchism (like the LHP) yet my spiritual focus is in primal nature (RHP), hence I must be walking both if one chooses to adhere to this dichotomy to begin with.

Last edited:

ScottySatan

I don't like that jargon myself. Path to what? from where? The LHP doesn't lead to the same place as the RHP, so calling them different paths seems to not acknowledge anyones destination, if one existed.

However, there are two styles. In one style, people strive to lose individuality and blend with everything around them. In another style, people strive to gain more individuality and separate themselves from everything around them. That is what I think of when people compare "paths". I don't see those two ways being the same. They could be equated by some clever rhetoric, but the difference is only an arbitrary invention.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I had a question concerning the LHP/RHP dichotomy. Does everyone really think that they are totally separate paths from each other? Or is there a considerable amount of overlay between the two in practice?
Personally I don't really like the terms or labels but I think that in reality there is, as you suggest, a considerable amount of overlap between the two approaches.
In order to know yourself and grow as a person you have to acknowledge and learn from your shadows or your darker side; however you want to phrase it. In reality, few things (including ourselves) are completely black or white, good or bad, left or right... Wisdom comes from finding balance and harmony within ourselves and the world.

I agree.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't like that jargon myself. Path to what? from where? The LHP doesn't lead to the same place as the RHP, so calling them different paths seems to not acknowledge anyones destination, if one existed.
The LHP and RHP can lead to the same path, but the routes are different. For one, the person on the RHP will pray for God's help, and be praising and thanking God the whole way and the outcome. The person on the LHP will just do on their own strength and power, give credit were needed, but mostly acknowledging as their own achievement.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
One way the differences between RHP and LHP can be viewed is to look at life as an opus. Those who follow the RHP strive to live their lives in accordance with the laws and dictates composed by what they view to be as God or some higher author-ity. Whereas, those who walk the LHP are the composers and conductors of their own life's opus.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\