• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
If you’d look through my posting history, @Little Dragon , you’d see I’ve pasted links to many papers. On this topic, here you go:

Here’s a paper highlighting more evidence:

Here’s another one that is even newer:

And the Cambrian evidence keeps on eroding evolutionists’ hopes:

You might not like the website, but look up their sources; Evolution News rarely posts anything, without linking supporting data from evolutionist sources.

Don’t call me a “sausage” (whatever that’s s’posed to mean, I doubt it’s flattering). Ad homs, like name-calling (and attacking a person’s knowledge and ethics like @shunyadragon tries), only makes the attacker’s arguments look weak.

And shunyadragon, you once again misrepresented what I said. Referencing Colin Patterson & S. J. Gould, I didn’t say they bemoaned “aspects of evolution.”

I said they bemoaned “the evidence the fossil record provides” in support of it.

Because they did….

“The Cambrian Explosion occurred in a geological moment, and we have reason to think that all major anatomical designs may have made their evolutionary appearance at that time. …not only the phylum Chordata itself, but also all its major divisions, arose within the Cambrian Explosion…. Contrary to Darwin’s expectation that new data would reveal gradualistic continuity with slow and steady expansion, all major discoveries of the past century have only heightened the massiveness and geological abruptness of this formative event…”
(Gould, Nature, Vol.377, 26 10/95, p.682).

And that was in 1995! The gap for evolution proponents to explain is even greater now, since the time frame for the Cambrian explosion has been narrowed even more.

“Gradualism, the idea that all change must be smooth, slow, and steady, was never read from the rocks."
Stephen Jay Gould, “An Early Start,” Natural History 87, February 1978): 24.
(Transitionals, anyone?)

There’s no wonder he proposed the controversial “punctuated equilibrium” with Niles Eldredge.

—————————-

Colin Patterson:

"Gradualism is a concept I believe in, not just because of Darwin’s authority, but because my understanding of genetics seems to demand it. Yet Gould and the American Museum people [i.e., Eldredge] are hard to contradict when they say there are no transitional fossils. As a paleontologist myself, I am much occupied with the philosophical problems of identifying ancestral forms in the fossil record. You say that I should at least ‘show a photo of the fossil from which each type of organism was derived.’ I will lay it on the line – there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument.
The reason is that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record. Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no: there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way to put them to the test."

Colin Patterson to Luther Sunderland, April 10, 1979, quoted in Luther D. Sunderland, Darwin’s Enigma: Fossils and Other Problems, 4th ed. (El Cajon, CA: Master Book Publishers, 1988), 89.

There are other quotes from CD evolution proponents which TalkOrigins has commented on also, but they rarely present substantial rebuttals.

I hope you check them out!

So long.
I stopped reading here:

“The Cambrian Explosion occurred in a geological moment, and we have reason to think that all major anatomical designs may have made their evolutionary appearance at that time. …not only the phylum Chordata itself, but also all its major divisions, arose within the Cambrian Explosion…. Contrary to Darwin’s expectation that new data would reveal gradualistic continuity with slow and steady expansion, all major discoveries of the past century have only heightened the massiveness and geological abruptness of this formative event…”

“Gradualism, the idea that all change must be smooth, slow, and steady, was never read from the rocks."
Stephen Jay Gould, “An Early Start,” Natural History 87, February 1978): 24.
(Transitionals, anyone?)

When he was alive, Stephen Jay Gould often chastised creationists for constantly taking his quotes out of context in order to make it look like he doesn't accept evolution when in fact he does:

Since we proposed punctuated equilibria to explain trends, it is infuriating to be quoted again and again by creationists—whether through design or stupidity, I do not know—as admitting that the fossil record includes no transitional forms. Transitional forms are generally lacking at the species level, but they are abundant between larger groups. Yet a pamphlet entitled "Harvard Scientists Agree Evolution Is a Hoax" states: "The facts of punctuated equilibrium which Gould and Eldredge…are forcing Darwinists to swallow fit the picture that Bryan insisted on, and which God has revealed to us in the Bible."​

You need to do better than Stephen Jay Gould quote mines from 30 years ago if you want to convince anybody of anything. I see you notice that they are, in fact, quotes mines, but chose to post them (again) anyway. That doesn't bode well for your arguments.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Glad you can admit that you guess, i have stated how it is known, it's not my problem is you want to guess
Instead of quoting someone else, can you at least SHOW HOW it is "known"? (Since you say so...and stick by it) Thank you so very much.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Instead of quoting someone else, can you at least SHOW HOW it is "known"? (Since you say so...and stick by it) Thank you so very much.
We have tried but you refuse to learn even the basics so that you can understand how it is known.

Why are you afraid to learn the basics? And do not say that you do because there are countless times that you would have openly lied if that was the case.

YoursTrue

Glad you can admit that you guess, i have stated how it is known, it's not my problem is you want to guess
Could you please explain HOW it is known? In your own words...with scientific verification in your own words and explanation?

YoursTrue

Your use of obvious has no scientific relevance what are described as precursors in the Edicarian for Cambrian life. Like other fundamentalists, you frame your objections without any knowledge of science and in a manner that no evidence would be acceptable. There are morphologically structurally similar simpler animals in the Edicarian not just Jelly fish. Your upfront hostile rejection of evolution based on an ancient tribal agenda and ancient text without provenance in history negates constructive dialogue on the subject of evolution.

You did not respond to my previous post describing the Edicarian ancestors of Cambrian life. Still waiting for you to respond.

Here is another reference concerning Trilobites. Britannica is a little dated more will follow. Also the boundary between the Edicarian and the Cambrian is not as sudden as you describe and occurs over tens of millions of years or more. I missed it, Post #302 gave a more recent reference than this one.

Trilobite, any member of a group of extinct fossil arthropods easily recognized by their distinctive three-lobed, three-segmented form. Trilobites, exclusively marine animals, first appeared at the beginning of the Cambrian Period, about 542 million years ago, when they dominated the seas. Although they became less abundant in succeeding geologic periods, a few forms persisted into the Permian Period, which ended about 251 million years ago.

Because trilobites appear fully developed in the Cambrian Period, it appears likely that the ancestral trilobites originated during the Ediacaran Period (630 million to 542 million years ago) of Precambrian times. An organism that may be ancestral to the trilobites, as well as to other arthropods, may be represented by Spriggina, which is known from Precambrian shallow-water marine deposits in Australia.
I was reading that there was a warmer climate on the earth a loooooonnngggg (billions of years?) time ago....

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Could you please explain HOW it is known? In your own words...with scientific verification in your own words and explanation?

I have explained, in very easy to understand wording, to which you replied "it's guesswork".
Not my problem if you refuse to acknowledge my explanation

YoursTrue

I have explained, in very easy to understand wording, not my problem if you refuse to acknowledge my explanation
I do not refuse to acknowledge your right to say what you want to, even if a quote is not explained and the poster says it has been explained, etc. or understood and has no basis.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I do not refuse to acknowledge your right to say what you want to, even if a quote is not explained and the poster says it has been explained, etc. or understood and has no basis.

I wrote "It is extrapolated and calculated from known existing phenomenon.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I was reading that there was a warmer climate on the earth a loooooonnngggg (billions of years?) time ago....
The climate over the billions of years has been warmer and colder at times. This cyclic nature of climate is very apparent in the geologic record. Yes, climatic changes are part of the evidence of the Ediacaran and Cambrian extinction and explosion of life events. Evolution is environment-driven. Extreme climatic changes can bring on extinction events and dramatic rebounds in life. The cycles of climate change include ice ages, and times when a tropical climate dominates.

Again precursors to the Cambrian explosion of life have been specifically identified in the Ediacaran rock strata.

Do you accept that there are billions of years of life on earth?

Last edited:

YoursTrue

I wrote "It is extrapolated and calculated from known existing phenomenon.
Again tho that does not mean it is all accurate and true. But if someone wants to insist it is true and not guesswork from the studies, hey, so be it. Thank you for presenting what you did, however.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Again tho that does not mean it is all accurate and true. But if someone wants to insist it is true and not guesswork from the studies, hey, so be it. Thank you for presenting what you did, however.

It is as accurate as is possible to get.
Given current conditions and what is observed of the history of the universe (remember the further away you look the further back in history you can see). Observations are accurate.

The take mathematics. Even more precise back to the point maths breaks down

YoursTrue

It is as accurate as is possible to get.
Given current conditions and what is observed of the history of the universe (remember the further away you look the further back in history you can see). Observations are accurate.

The take mathematics. Even more precise back to the point maths breaks down
Whatever...