• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Science defines the magic spark of life as an emergent property of matter and that is a way to eliminate the magic in it. But neither of us know scientifically if it is an emergent property of matter.
Life is either an emergent property of matter or a something unrelated to and injected into matter once it is properly arranged, like the wetness of water and the whiteness of snow. Do you think those are properties inherent in collections of H2O molecules, or do you think a wetness or whiteness spirit enters puddles and snowbanks when the molecules collect?

If the spirit is described as undetectable except by its ability to make water wet and snow white, here's no way to tell, is there? So which do you believe is the case and why? Does the wetness spirit descend from heaven to inhabit collections of snow and then return there when it melts and becomes transparent so that the wetness spirit can replace it?
If the body of man evolved then that would be just another animal without God's involvement
Yes, and that is what appears to be the case. What do you offer as contradictory evidence? That man reasons and uses language? That would be insufficient to support the claim that a god must therefore exist.
The gospels support the belief in Jesus but only if believed.
That's not support, at least not in the academic sense that a scientist or an attorney mean when he calls a belief justified.
So are beauty, love and consciousness physical things or non-existent?
All psychological phenomena are physical, as is everything else ever detected. They exist in particular minds at a particular time and place and both affect and are themselves affected by other aspects of reality. Consciousness, which meets that description, is physical
It is true that science cannot shown that God is not needed but atheist and skeptics claim this a lot.
I think you're using two definitions of not needed here - not known to be needed and known to not be needed. The critical thinker takes the first position, but you keep transforming it into the second however many times this is pointed out to you, perhaps because the straw man is a logically flawed position and easily defeated. If you do this deliberately - and I don't think you do - it's deflection and intellectually dishonest. If you are unaware that you do this and can't see it even when shown, then you're not prepared for discussions such as these and unable to benefit from them even if you gave up belief by faith and embraced open-mindedness, which requires dispassionate evaluation of claims, which in turn requires that one be able to grasp what they say and hold on to that idea without it being corrupted into a different one.
I also hear them claim that science has shown that abiogenesis, without the need for God, is true and that evolution without the need for God is true.
How about addressing what most actually DO say rather than these easily defeated logical errors? None of the atheists here now are making that claim, so whoever you disapprove of isn't present to read it. Yet you keep returning to comments like these.
The claim can also be evidence.
And we're back to what is evidence. EVERYTHING EVIDENT is evidence of something. Everything. Look around you. That table. It's evidence. That wall. It's evidence. That feeling of nausea was evidence. Sunlight is evidence. Air is evidence. Water is evidence. EVERYTHING EVIDENT is evidence. The important question is not whether this thing or that is evidence, because if you're sensing it, IT IS! The important question is what it is EVIDENCE OF. What does it signify. What things also must be true because this evidence exists. The table? It's evidence that somebody built a table and that you came to have it in your home. Sunlight is evidence that the sun exist, shines, and that it's presently daytime.

And yes, the claim is evidence. This is not in dispute, so why post it? But ask the IMPORTANT question - what is it EVIDENCE OF. The Bible contains the claim that Jesus wept. Is that evidence? I hope that that was an easy one by now. If you could sense the claim - hear it, read it, whatever - and recognize it as a claim, then it is evidence that somebody made a claim. What else do we know? Do we know it happened? No. Do we know that the person who wrote it believed it? No.

What is life evidence of? It's evidence that life is possible and that it exists. Is it evidence for a life ghost that animates matter? Not good enough to support such a belief. Is that possible? Yes. Does that matter? No more than an analogous statement about anything else. Maybe two life ghosts need to enter a body to animate it. Maybe seven. Maybe a sight ghost is needed for us to be able to see. Maybe. It's POSSIBLE. Do we have evidence for any of that? Sure, about a pico-nanogram's worth, just like the evidence for a life force - also not enough to justify belief.

What fraction of things not known to be impossible are actual? Do you think its a few percent? It's not. I'd guess that the mathematical symbol best representing that quantity is dx. Is it possible my name is zxthryib? It's not impossible. It's at least dx% (please forgive me, @Polymath257 ). Is that enough to investigate or believe the possibility? After all, it's possible. Or maybe you agree by now that that makes something only slightly more likely to be the case than something that's impossible.

Now here's one for you. What is the Bible evidence of (multiple choices acceptable)?

1 - somebody or several somebodies wrote it
2 - it was printed in a human language
3 - somebody believes it
4- the writers believed it
5 - the things it describes happened
6 - Jesus wept

Does a witness at a trial need to have his claims proven in order for them to be evidence?
I think you're ready to answer that one yourself now.
you looked at everything and concluded that they did not need a designer, creator and life giver.
Why is it so difficult for you to read "there is insufficient reason to believe that there is a creator" and hold that idea intact without it morphing into what you wrote was claimed instead? Maybe you don't see a distinction between the two. Maybe you do, but it only lasts about a quarter second before one idea changes to the other with you unaware that that has happened. The only other logical possibility is that you know you are doing this and are trolling, but I don't believe that. I believe it's one of the first two. And here's the beauty - you can say which. But here's the ugly I learned from experience - you almost certainly never will. Make me wrong, please.
I suppose you also have faith that a designer, creator and life giver is not needed.
Here it is again. NOBODY AT ALL has said that here. NOBODY. But there you go off on your own, converting what actually was written to that above, and attacking another straw man. How much confidence should I have in the judgments of a person who does that? How much should I trust a computer that randomly changes bit from on to off while it's processing data?
And from here we go around in circles about whose faith is justified
Faith is unjustified belief, so the answer to your question is, nobody's faith is justified. Although others do and are supported by dictionaries, I don't use the word to refer to justified belief to avoid ambiguity. In fact, if a word is more than just its spelling and pronunciation, they're not even the same word.
That which is not physical.
Nothing that exists isn't physical. To exist means to occupy a place at a time and to affect and be affected by the other things that exist, the collection of such things being reality, and things that can do that being physical. To believe otherwise is to lose your grounding in reality and to begin to include fictions and imaginings in that landscape that drifts further and further from reality with each imagined element added. Yours includes what you call non-physical "reality," but there is no such thing in reality. It's all matter, energy, force, space, and time, all of which are physical reality.
True it is not a good reason to dismiss universe-vomiting pixies or leprechauns, but that does not mean that I have to believe in those.
Equating that sort of thing with belief in God is just dismissive and patronising by skeptics and atheists and not worth considering really, or not worthy of argument status.
Gods and universe-vomiting pixies have the same ontological status. Neither should be believed in, but if one justifies belief in either, he justifies belief in both. If that offends you, you might want to look at your beliefs closer until either both gods and pixies appear offensive or neither.

And notice that this is you choosing to be offended. No offense is intended. I hope you believe by now that I am not trying to offend you. Why would I? You're a nice guy who I find likeable. But I can't be responsible for how you choose to feel about my opinions and what motivates them.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
True it is not a good reason to dismiss universe-vomiting pixies or leprechauns, but that does not mean that I have to believe in those.
Equating that sort of thing with belief in God is just dismissive and patronising by skeptics and atheists and not worth considering really, or not worthy of argument status.
To do that those floods would need to be significant. Very very significant. I do not think that you understand the nature of floods. Almost all floods can be walked away from. Death usually happens when people go back for items. The floods that you are talking about would have left evidence.

Let's take the Black Sea flood. Some have claimed that it was strong enough so that it may have inspired the Noah's Ark myth. That was a flood that people could not have only walked away from. They could have crawled away from that flood. You should be able to do the math. The most catastrophic version of it has the flood taking a year to raise the level of the Black Sea to present levels. It should not be that hard to calculate how far one would have to walk each day to keep ahead of it:

And recent studies indicate that the worst case scenario did not happen. So you might as well forget it.

You need to find evidence for those significant floods. Guess what? They do not exist. And that is not all. Genetics refutes the flood myth even more soundly.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
To do that those floods would need to be significant. Very very significant. I do not think that you understand the nature of floods. Almost all floods can be walked away from. Death usually happens when people go back for items. The floods that you are talking about would have left evidence.

Let's take the Black Sea flood. Some have claimed that it was strong enough so that it may have inspired the Noah's Ark myth. That was a flood that people could not have only walked away from. They could have crawled away from that flood. You should be able to do the math. The most catastrophic version of it has the flood taking a year to raise the level of the Black Sea to present levels. It should not be that hard to calculate how far one would have to walk each day to keep ahead of it:

And recent studies indicate that the worst case scenario did not happen. So you might as well forget it.

You need to find evidence for those significant floods. Guess what? They do not exist. And that is not all. Genetics refutes the flood myth even more soundly.

If you want a *real* flood, checkout the channeled scablands of Eastern Washington.

Brian2

Veteran Member
OK, what is the reason to think that fairies do not exist?

The inability to detect something along with the inconsistency of those that claim they can detect5 it *is* a good reason to believe it does not exist.

To lack a belief in them you mean. Who says I believe fairies do not exist?
There of course is a good reason that people cannot detect God. God is spirit.

Why not? Is there any phenomenon that is consistent enough to form a hypothesis and test it? If yes, then science can deal with it. If no, then it is irrelevant to understanding.\

That sounds like wishful thinking. There is the phenomenon of OBEs in NDEs and science does not seem to be able to deal with it.

Why can't science do this? What is it that prevents science from studying the spirit, if in fact spirits exist?

Good question.

Just like every other idea, yes. EVERY idea that is proposed is held tentatively at first. And, until it has been extensively tested, it is held skeptically at best.

How would the Christian Mythos be tested do you think.

Nope. Whether the scriptures are correct or not is irrelevant to why these measures are taken. The conditions are taken so that we can prevent false ideas from taking hold and leading us astray. For that reason, we demand any ideas that make claims about reality be testable through observation.

It just so happens that scriptures fail those tests.

So the truth of the scriptures are denied from the start when skeptic or scientific presumptions are used on them.
"We can't let false ideas from taking hold and leading us astray so we will deny supernatural ideas from the start".

ALL ide4as should be held skeptically and tested as stringently as possible. Only those that survive such testing are worthy of belief.

The supernatural is the supernatural and science is science.
If you are looking to science to show God and the supernatural are true before you will believe then you want to skip over what God wants, our trust in Him.
We need to accept the Kingdom of God humbly like a child.

Brian2

Veteran Member
" Creationism" is ill defined.

Generally though, it's about Christian beliefs.

Yec, oec, how many other schools of creationist thought.

By " God" I assume that you mean your chosen one.

Any version of bible- reading that has the stories
of supernatural creation as anything but symbolic
are exactly as I said.

" God" of some sort may have created
" everything" in the sense of starting it all.

The 6 day poof, flood etc is fiction that can only
be believed through ignorance, denial, intellectual
dishonesty.

It's an insult to humanity, and to any God that
might exist.

So you are talking about a literal, literal reading of the creation story and flood story.
But people who do that are sincere in their beliefs and God probably understands their reasoning.
God does want us to trust Him.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Not sure about that, given that we might just wipe ourselves out - not so clever then. Never mind, if we wipe out just humans there might be enough primates left to take over our roles - if they evolve in a similar fashion as we did. :D

We can wipe it out or protect it, it's in our power, given by God.
But we keep going down the road of wiping it all out because we are not what God wanted us to be, we choose the wrong way and have from the start even if we have been deceived.
If other primates evolved it would not matter in the end. We are little puffs of smoke in the expanse of everything and with no purpose of that is all we are.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Science is "set up" to remove our personal biases and errors, to be as objective as possible, to not include things in our explanations for which we do not have evidence. Science is "set up" this way so that we don't have to just believe in every single claim every person or religion have asserted until someone shows it to be wrong.

You're the one starting from a place where "the truth of the scriptures" is the ultimate truth, where you just accept they're true without evidence, relying on faith that it's all true. And you can't seem to see that you're doing that, all the while accusing others of doing it. You're the one starting from a place with an a priori belief that you have to attempt to shoehorn all the evidence into - and it shows. I'm sorry, but you're just projecting here.

Science is set up to discover things about the material universe, not to disprove the existence of God. That is something that skeptics want science to do by bringing in presumptions to the study of the scriptures that should not be there. eg presuming that the supernatural is BS.
This is the a priori belief that attempts to shoehorn all the evidence.
And yes, someone is projecting.

Audie

Veteran Member
So you are talking about a literal, literal reading of the creation story and flood story.
But people who do that are sincere in their beliefs and God probably understands their reasoning.
God does want us to trust Him.
How literal are you and about it?
Like half of the flood story is true?
Kind of a pick n choose what in the bible
is true?

As for sincerity, that's an interesting
new concept: sincere dishonesty.

It's ok( sort of) to be ignorant and sincerely believe
something coz you don't know any better.

My statement is that it is impossible to be
an educated flood- believer who is intellectually
honest.

You will have a hard time showing that's not so.

Brian2

Veteran Member
What evidence do you have for that?
That is one question that neither science nor religion answers. We have to wait for science to get the answer. For that your answer 'Goddidit' is not good enough for me.
Yes, billions believe so. That is immaterial to me. I do not compete with those who will believe without verifiable evidence.

It's your short life to do with the way you see fit.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Others do have evidence and logic that supports what they believe. Don't try to claim that others have nothing.

You said it appears I have nothing "as well". I just agreed that if others have nothing I also have nothing.

You cannot legitimately make that assumption. If one can be honest one quickly sees that the Bible is self contradicting if one does that. And if one cannot own up to those self contradictions that is a form of lying. I have as of yet to see a Christian apologist that is not also a liar for Jesus. They are supposed to be "scholars" such as William Lane Craig. They claim to know enough to understand the work. Let's leave the Noah's Ark myth out of if for right now, that is such an easy one. It does not really matter all that much to Christianity. I have yet to see an apologist deal honestly with the ten year difference between the birth dates of Jesus found in Matthew and Luke. Do you know of any apologists that can deal with that honestly?

I have read about Quirinius and when a census may have happened and when he was governing Judea and have decided that Luke probably knew what he was talking about. I don't know that any apologist purposely lies about the evidence.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You said it appears I have nothing "as well". I just agreed that if others have nothing I also have nothing.
No, now you are being dishonest, You have no rational support for your beliefs. When challenged at best you run away. That is not true of others. They do have reliable evidence.
I have read about Quirinius and when a census may have happened and when he was governing Judea and have decided that Luke probably knew what he was talking about. I don't know that any apologist purposely lies about the evidence.
Then you are at best listening to liars. And why did you say "Luke"? Luke was merely a name from Acts. There is no good reason to believe that he wrote Luke/Acts. Once again, I have multiple times supplied the historical evidence that Quirinius did not do his census until 6 CE, That was when he first became the governor of Judea. Haven't you been paying any attention at all?

Show some real sources that support you. Referring to Liars for Jesus would simply be you admitting that you are wrong again.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If you want a *real* flood, checkout the channeled scablands of Eastern Washington.
And that was likely a flood that people in its path could not walk away from . That is what we would need to see everywhere. All around the globe and they would have to be simultaneously as well for @Brian2 's local floods hypothesis to work. Even worse there was not one flood across the scablands. There were on the order of 40 different times that the ice dam failed at Lake Missoula. And that was just in the end of the most recent glaciation. There is evidence of even older such ice age floods in the area. There is a local geology professor that has quite the series of YouTube videos on them. But if one wants the short version There is the Wikipedia article as well:

But if anyone wants to see some of the lectures on this topic, a bit dry but interesting if you like geology, I can link that as well.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
We can wipe it out or protect it, it's in our power, given by God.
But we keep going down the road of wiping it all out because we are not what God wanted us to be, we choose the wrong way and have from the start even if we have been deceived.
If other primates evolved it would not matter in the end. We are little puffs of smoke in the expanse of everything and with no purpose of that is all we are.
Well, without any religious belief you might look at life differently - as I do - in just observing more than judging.

Audie

Veteran Member
Science is set up to discover things about the material universe, not to disprove the existence of God. That is something that skeptics want science to do by bringing in presumptions to the study of the scriptures that should not be there. eg presuming that the supernatural is BS.
This is the a priori belief that attempts to shoehorn all the evidence.
And yes, someone is projecting.
You keep saying this same insulting garbage
about ( all ) skeptics, though, usual, you
don't have any examples, at best it is a
gross overgeneralization.

We recognize there always someone who will
say some idiotic thing. Examples of that among
religionists are everywhere. Maybe there is a " skeptic",
falsely so labeled, whi is the dimwitt you describe.

But basically, you are once more and yet
again making things up and trying to debate
people who are either non existent or not present.

If you find such behaviour to be consistent
with "christian" values, then we are in agreement
on that much. It's what I find, too.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There of course is a good reason that people cannot detect God. God is spirit.
When you describe something as (necessarily) undetectable, you are saying that it doesn't interact with reality, reality being the collection of objects and processes that interact with one another in space and time, all of which are detectable. If it did, you could detect that. Necessarily undetectable, which describes every nonexistent thing and only nonexistent things, thus means nonexistent.
So the truth of the scriptures are denied from the start when skeptic or scientific presumptions are used on them.
What truth of the scriptures? You'll need to make a compelling, evidenced argument that the scriptures contain truth according to the standards of critical analysis first. That's not possible when your claims are unfalsifiable, that is, about creations of the imagination, which having no external referent, are undetectable like the god you describe that way.

The skeptic doesn't have to rebut insufficiently substantiated god claims beyond pointing out the lack of a sound argument for gods. Nor does he need to show that scripture is wrong or that gods don't exist.
"We can't let false ideas from taking hold and leading us astray so we will deny supernatural ideas from the start".
There is no supernatural. Since the supernatural is in principle undetectable, that is, there is no aided or unaided sensory organ receiving or capable of receiving evidence of this putative realm, the concept is self-contradictory (incoherent) according to the same argument given above. There is only nature (reality). Whatever is part of it is detectable, and whatever is necessarily undetectable is not.
you want to skip over what God wants, our trust in Him.
What god? Where? The undetectable one? Why would we be interested in something said to be undetectable? What does it mean to trust something that can't affect you?
Science is set up to discover things about the material universe, not to disprove the existence of God. That is something that skeptics want science to do
Skeptics don't need a disproof of gods, so why would they care if science ever ruled them out or not?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Quantum theory shows that space and particles can just randomly come appear so no need for a creator.
Trouble is it does not make sense imo

So what if it doesn't make sense to you?
Quantum theory shows it happens.

Considering that your common sense evolved to avoid being eaten by lions, not to understand quantum theory, it actually makes sense that it doesn't make sense to you. Why would it? Your instincts don't have to deal with quantum theory on a practical level. This is why it is referred to as "spooky".

It's a world that is very much alien to us. It is not surprising that many of the phenomenon on such an environment would be counter-intuitive to us.

It is in fact this feeling that made even Einstein think there had to be something wrong with this theories, since they predicted black holes. A concept that didn't make sense in his mind. Off course, we later learned that that prediction was right on the money, when we actually discovered black holes in reality.

Quantum mechanics is very counter intuitive.
The physical phenomenon that occur in proximity of extreme gravity, extreme speed, etc .. things that are "outside" of our practical daily life, are bound to be counter-intuitive to us.

Like the saying goes: "Small life forms don't really care about gravity. They care about surface tension."

Your "intuition" is useful for exploring the known world under familiar circumstances.
It's not useful for unraveling unknown worlds under unfamiliar circumstances.

and you cannot say that a designer, creator, life giver is not necessary and so extraneous.
We can't say that there wasn't one (and you can't say that about any unfalsifiable thing, which is why it is useless to begin with).
But we can definitely say that there wasn't one needed.

You don't need an unnatural explanation when you have a natural one.

Take ice.
Freezers are even known to exist (unlike gods).

When we go high up the mountains during the winter and find ice there, then we don't need to appeal to the presence of a freezer.
Because we can explain it with a natural model. We don't need to assert the presence of a freezer.

Now if we would find ice in the middle of a 40°C hot Sahara.... That's when we can't say that we don't need a freezer.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I don't and don't need to. I have a belief, you are making a claim, it is up to you to justify that claim.

That has to be the most blatant attempt at shifting the burden of proof that I've ever seen.

He's not making a claim. He's making a statement that is consistent with, and suggested by, the actual data.
You are the one who's insisting on the presence of something that is not consistent with, or suggested by, the actual data.

If you mean it when you say like you don't need to justify your belief, then why do you even care to try and defend it in this discussion?
You don't care about evidence, you don't care about being rationally justified in your belief.
You don't feel like you should support/justify it, so that's how that ends.

And you justify it to yourself but not to me, and I justify my beliefs to myself and not to you.

Actually, as you yourself have acknowledged, he justifies his belief on scientific evidence, while you don't care to justify it and are just content holding on to your belief.

PureX

Veteran Member
That has to be the most blatant attempt at shifting the burden of proof that I've ever seen.
There is no 'burden of proof' for a belief. We are all free to believe whatever we want. and to say so.

The 'burden of proof' only applies to a universally asserted truth claim. Which a personal belief is not. When someone says, "I believe" they have designated that whatever follows is applicable to themselves (hence, the "I"). Even if what they believe is in their own mind a universal truth, the "I" precedent in the statment supersedes it.

Also, the 'burden of proof' is misleadingly labeled if one is not philosophically minded. As it does not actually require that anyone prove anything to anyone else's satisfaction. That would be an impossible expectation. What it requires is a presentation of justification. "Proof", in the philosophical realm does not refer to changing minds or winning debates. It simply refers to the course of logical thought that lead to a posited conclusion.

Audie

Veteran Member
There is no 'burden of proof' for a belief. We are all free to believe whatever we want. and to say so.

The 'burden of proof' only applies to a universally asserted truth claim. Which a personal belief is not. When someone says, "I believe" they have designated that whatever foll asserows is applicable to themselves (hence, the "I"). Even if what they believe is in their own mind a universal truth, the "I" precedent in the statment supersedes it.

Also, the 'burden of proof' is misleadingly labeled if one is not philosophically minded. As it does not actually require that anyone prove anything to anyone else's satisfaction. That would be an impossible expectation. What it requires is a presentation of justification. "Proof", in the philosophical realm does not refer to changing minds or winning debates. It simply refers to the course of logical thought that lead to a posited conclusion.
So you sue your neighbour for burning your house
and scaring your cat.

Judge asks you to prove it.

" it's not a universally asserted claim so I don't
need no stinkin proof"