• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

InChrist

Free4ever
You means like magic or witchcraft, where magic can poof some nonexistent things into existence because of magic word or uttering spell or incantations.

Are you comparing your god to witches, sorcerers or magicians?

Do you think your Bible have the only god who is powerful magician?

There are myths of Egyptian gods, like Ptah, Ra, Thoth and Horus who create with words. And Isis was a powerful sorceress who could conjure up a snake that bit Ra, refusing to heal the sun god until Ra revealed his true name.

The power of the names are powerful magic, which existed in many ancient and primitive superstitious cultures, including in Jewish and Christian faiths.

In this and age, you would think people would outgrow from these superstitious beliefs and utterly nonsensical ignorance, but apparently you haven’t.
Actually, the Biblical accounts show that all those gods, as you mentioned, are nothing more than fake impostors performing deceptive magic in comparison to the creative power of the One who made the heavens and the earth and holds all things together.

In the book of Exodus, each of the plagues in Egypt were a judgement upon the fake gods the people worshipped, by the only True Creator God.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Well, yes. Living things died and their remains became part of the rocks we find today. So those fossils give us evidence of what sorts of things were alive in the past. One of the things we find is that the species alive today did not appear in the distant past and many species of the distant past do not show up today. The whole ecosystems were different in the past, with very different species across the globe.

This alone is enough to show evolution: that species have changed over geological time.

But, we can go further. When we look at the different species at different times, we find that those most similar are close together in time. Given that we know that living things reproduce, this shows that species change over time from reproduction. There is descent from the older species to the newer ones.

Again, that is solid evidence for evolution.
Again, this does not prove (oh, sorry, substantiate in truth of fact) the theory of evolution. Yes, mammals are mammals, I don't know all of them, but that doesn't mean that humans are apes. Of course you have the right to say they are, but that doesn't mean they are except in the eyes of those who want to, or believe that. There is such a vast difference between gorillas, chimpanzees, etc., and humans that the reason for the difference is incredible as ascertained by scientists who believe in the process of evolution. I no longer believe the postulations offered for the difference.

YoursTrue

Your examples all have creators that are human for which evidence exists and evidence that you are using to consider those humans as creator. When we consider the universe there is no evidence for us to use to "realize" anything. That the universe has a creator does not logically flow from the facts that human creations have a human creator.

It doesn't? I mean trees do not have a human creator, do they? But yes, trees can be planted by humans and cut down by humans to provide material to build a house.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, the Biblical accounts show that all those gods, as you mentioned, are nothing more than fake impostors performing deceptive magic in comparison to the creative power of the One who made the heavens and the earth and holds all things together.
No, the Biblical accounts *claim* that all of these others are fictional and that the 'chosen one' is correct. They do NOT show this to be true, though.
In the book of Exodus, each of the plagues in Egypt were a judgement upon the fake gods the people worshipped, by the only True Creator God.
The Exodus never happened. The story is a myth to get people to follow the teachings of the priests.

InChrist

Free4ever
The painting, the building, the rose garden (as opposed to wild roses), and cooked meals are things we know are produced by humans and that don't occur naturally.

Now, we do NOT assume that a tree in the forest was planted by somebody, or that a dead animal had someone that killed it, or that a fallen rock had someone that pushed it.

Why not? because we know such things happen naturally and without intelligent intervention. Only a few things on Earth (a very small part of the cosmos) and that were influenced by humans are reasonably assumed to be formed by humans. Nothing else shows the properties associated with intelligent intervention.

And, in fat, the vast majority of structures (planets, stars, crystals, etc) all happen naturally and without any outside intervention.

So your analogy fails miserably. We attribute things to intelligence that we know are formed by intelligence and that do not otherwise occur naturally.

Which only shows the limited world of that writer. There is no firmament. And the heavens do NOT declare the existence of a creator, but rather of natural processes that require no intelligent intervention.
Right, we don’t assume a tree was planted in the forest by someone, or a dead animal was killed by someone, or that someone pushed a rock over. But when looking at the big picture of the universe, life, etc. I can’t agree with “we know such things happen naturally and without intelligent intervention”.

InChrist

Free4ever
No, the Biblical accounts *claim* that all of these others are fictional and that the 'chosen one' is correct. They do NOT show this to be true, though.

The Exodus never happened. The story is a myth to get people to follow the teachings of the priests.
You say it’s myth. God says it’s His word… His-story.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Right, we don’t assume a tree was planted in the forest by someone, or a dead animal was killed by someone, or that someone pushed a rock over. But when looking at the big picture of the universe, life, etc. I can’t agree with “we know such things happen naturally and without intelligent intervention”.
But there is no evidence for a creator of the Universe or evidence that a creator was required. The opposite of what you claim. This is not the same as saying there was no creator. Just that we have nothing to demonstrate that creator or the actions of one.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Sure we can. There is no evidence of an intelligent operator and the processes that we *know* happened don't require such intervention.

And, in the absence of *independent* evidence for such an intelligent agent, it is highly unlikely that such an agent existed.

You say it’s myth. God says it’s His word… His-story.

Uh huh. Cute play on the English word History. But, of course, that is specific to one language and doesn't work so well in other ones because that isn't the etymology of the word.

And, you *claim* that God says that. But given that you provide no evidence of such a God, that isn't exactly a believable claim.

InChrist

Free4ever
The Bible amounts to a book of claims. You are in essence saying the Bible is evidence for the claims of the Bible. By that logic, Superman comics are evidence of Superman.
Sure we can. There is no evidence of an intelligent operator and the processes that we *know* happened don't require such intervention.

And, in the absence of *independent* evidence for such an intelligent agent, it is highly unlikely that such an agent existed.

Uh huh. Cute play on the English word History. But, of course, that is specific to one language and doesn't work so well in other ones because that isn't the etymology of the word.

And, you *claim* that God says that. But given that you provide no evidence of such a God, that isn't exactly a believable claim.
The Bible claims to be God’s word and proves itself to be so through fulfilled prophecy. Only a Being outside of time accurately knows future events that take place on earth. If God’s prophetic revelations concerning conditions on earth, condition of human nature, and future events in this world are accurate, then I think the claims about God creating the heavens, earth, and life are not only believable, but reasonable.

8 I am the Lord, that is My name;
And My glory I will not give to another,
Nor My praise to carved images.
9 Behold, the former things have come to pass,
And new things I declare;
Before they spring forth I tell you of them.”
Isaiah 42:8-9

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
The Bible claims to be God’s word and proves itself to be so through fulfilled prophecy. Only a Being outside of time accurately knows future events that take place on earth. If God’s prophetic revelations concerning conditions on earth, condition of human nature, and future events in this world are accurate, then I think the claims about God creating the heavens, earth, and life are not only believable, but reasonable.

8 I am the Lord, that is My name;
And My glory I will not give to another,
Nor My praise to carved images.
9 Behold, the former things have come to pass,
And new things I declare;
Before they spring forth I tell you of them.”
Isaiah 42:8-9
Which prophecies are you claiming have been accurately fulfilled with evidence outside of the Bible?

YoursTrue

Huh? The stone? You mean the fossil?

The fossil shows something that lived in the past. The fact that it is a different species than anything alive today and that things alive today don't show up in the past is what shows evolution.
No, sorry, I misplaced stone for rock. Coming from that article explaining fossils, National Geographic says, "for an organism to be fossilized, the remains usually need to be covered by sediment soon after death. Sediment can include the sandy seafloor, lava, and even sticky tar." So from what I understand, let's say an organism dies and is covered by sediment. Minerals in the sediment then seep into the remains after time and the remains become fossilized.

YoursTrue

You don't believe Jesus existed either, do you?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, sorry, I misplaced stone for rock. Coming from that article explaining fossils, National Geographic says, "for an organism to be fossilized, the remains usually need to be covered by sediment soon after death. Sediment can include the sandy seafloor, lava, and even sticky tar." So from what I understand, let's say an organism dies and is covered by sediment. Minerals in the sediment then seep into the remains after time and the remains become fossilized.
Yes, "seeping" is not the best term. That is called permineralization. But once again, for absolute ages we do not date the fossils. Absolute ages are usually from igneous rocks. Those can be dated. They do not "seep".

Fossils give us relative ages. We can tell that A is older than B because B is deposited on top of A and there is no evidence of tectonic activity. Okay?

InChrist

Free4ever
Which prophecies are you claiming have been accurately fulfilled with evidence outside of the Bible?
The prophesies about the restoration of Israel.

“Israel is the very embodiment of Jewish continuity: It is the only nation on earth that inhabits the same land, bears the same name, speaks the same language, and worships the same God that it did 3,000 years ago. You dig the soil and you find pottery from Davidic times, coins from Bar Kokhba, and 2,000-year-old scrolls written in a script remarkably like the one that today advertises ice cream at the corner candy store" (Weekly Standard, 5/11/1998).

Against all odds, the Jewish people have once again returned to the “land of milk and honey” promised by God in Exodus and as exclaimed by prophets throughout the Old Testament.”

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I’ve heard the name of Kent Hovind, but am not that familiar with his perspectives or doctrines, other than that he has displayed some questionable and/or illegal behaviors.
That was a classic example of the sort of etymology that he would use too. That is very very rarely how words are formed.