• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life is suffering?

Straw Dog

Life is a struggle.

I'm glad that you shared this. It really ties philosophical Buddhism together.

Life is a struggle mostly because of egoic craving and unmindful action so let's get to the bottom of this case via an 8-fold path. Simple enough.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Confucious tasted the vinegar as being sour representing life as in need rules and ceremony. Buddha tasted it as being bitter representing that life was full of pain and suffering. Laozi tasted the vinegar and perceived it as being sweet representing his view that life was fundamentally good in its essential nature.

I'm not saying that only Laozi is correct, but they are interconnected. Perspective is paramount and it shades all three views. Some convention may be useful, suffering should be avoided or minimized, and we can cultivate a positive playful attitude throughout it all.

They all make the same face. What exactly does vinegar taste like anyways?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I prefer those translations of dukkha that emphasize clingingness rather than suffering.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I wish all debate/discussion threads in DIR and all over RF would be this OUT OF CONTROL!!!!

LOLOLOL!!!!!!

Cause if this is suffering, chain me to the wall! ;)

I keed I keed....

I appreciate the 'life is stressful'..... not a translation, but a good modern relation.

We are stressed about having stress, about getting stressed, and about feeling stressed again.

Does that stress the point well?
I think it does.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I was told (by a Buddhist monk) that "Life is suffering" is a mis-translation, that "Life is a struggle" would be more accurate.

I thnk I heard/read somewhere is is supopsed to mean not that "it is suffering" but that "it contains suffering" or "has suffering".

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
More importantly, who drinks straight vinegar? And why? :D
Well, one must taste it to see if it is suitable for strawberries with balsamic vinegar and black pepper!
crossfire-albums-misc-picture3935-balsamicblackpepperstrawberries.jpg

Straw Dog

Sorry, just saw that. Both the Israeli and Jordanian sides of the Dead Sea rift, Judean desert, Negev desert, Egypt's Sinai peninsula.

Sounds like you got options. The closest thing to a desert that I've been to are the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado. It's more like a giant sandbox however. :D

I live among the Appalachians so tend to mostly hike forested mountain trails.