• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lionizing Lyin Eyes.

John D. Brey

This has always struck me as a bizarre idea. As Christopher Hitchens like to say, according to Christians, "we are created sick and commanded to be well." Daft, if you ask me.

I can appreciate your feeling the idea is bizarre. But the context for that idea, so far as this thread is concerned, relates to the discussion concerning the difference between the natural brain functions (to include, as you note, the entire biology of the body, since the brain is merely a profound part of that whole), versus some immaterial soul, you, we, or I, such as the entity both Richard Dawkins, and Theodore Schwartz, can't help but referencing, since without it their metaphysical materialism is absurd.

One simply can't say the brain is trying to trick us into thinking we're real, that we have freewill, when if that were true, our saying it would be no more real than the free-willed soul the statement is designed to deny.

Where the idea of original sin, i.e., that we're born sinners, comes into the picture, is the idea that only someone created as a whole, righteous, soul, would be likely to notice a distinction between right, versus the way the world actually is, broken.

The agnostic materialist become a quasi-idealist, Karl Popper, to his great credit came to realize just this truism such that he said the modern scientific-method, far from arising from natural, normal, observations and questions about the world, in fact came about only when certain kinds of persons, religious persons, put forward the impossible idea that the world, and the carnal body, are lying to us; that carnality itself is profane, and that the world is a great lie foisted on us to make us slaves to principles, principalities, and powers, that would lord themselves over us without the righteous souls who see through the ruse.

To perform this miraculous mental feat of seeing the body and the world for what they clearly are, requires a soul detached, to some degree, from the world and the body that house it. Otherwise, there's no possible reason a person could doubt their body, or the nature of their perceptions of the world. That would be impossible. It's the complete antithesis of what Theodore Schwartz is selling in his book, Gray Matters.

In total contradistinction to the religious mind Popper says is the source for scientific thinking, Schwartz claims that all of our thinking is based, totally, on the bells and whistle of our brain and its natural mechanisms. Were that true, it would be impossible to posit that the body is lying to us since there's no us for it to lie to. Which is why Schwartz, and his ilk, are desperate to do away with a soul, mind, or whatever you call it, that's able to ably question what otherwise cannot be questioned.

To say we're born-sinners merely means we're born into a body of sin, meaning a body that's created in ways designed to make us believe things that simply aren't true, things that would be impossible to question if we didn't transcend the sinful body "we" temporarily inhabit.

John

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I'm also no expert, but your understanding matches mine. The current measurements hint at a flat universe, but that goes against my intuition. I think the universe must be positively curved - or something like negative gravity must exist.
Actually the theoretical considerations of the nature of our universe, such as a flat universe, are descriptive of properties we estimate and we do not know what our universe looks like.

Heyo

Veteran Member
But balloon has a center. And we can see space in all directions, which means space can't be like surface of a balloon.
It's an analogy, a 3D model of our 4D universe. There are three spacial dimension squished into 2, the surface of the balloon. Time is perpendicular to all space dimensions, i.e. the centre of the balloon is the zero point of time, the outside of the balloon is the future.
Remember that I said that the centre of the universe is in the past?
I find this to be one of the most intuitive models, even for people who can't imagine 4 dimensions. If you can imagine the surface of the balloon to be "bumpy", you can also explain time dilation near massive objects (they are nearer to the centre) and why the invisible part of the universe must be at least 7 times the size of the visible.
The problem with this model is that it requires a closed universe (positive curvature), which, according to latest measurements, may not comport to reality.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
It's an analogy, a 3D model of our 4D universe. There are three spacial dimension squished into 2, the surface of the balloon. Time is perpendicular to all space dimensions, i.e. the centre of the balloon is the zero point of time, the outside of the balloon is the future.
Remember that I said that the centre of the universe is in the past?
I find this to be one of the most intuitive models, even for people who can't imagine 4 dimensions. If you can imagine the surface of the balloon to be "bumpy", you can also explain time dilation near massive objects (they are nearer to the centre) and why the invisible part of the universe must be at least 7 times the size of the visible.
The problem with this model is that it requires a closed universe (positive curvature), which, according to latest measurements, may not comport to reality.

Thanks for saving me a response. My only question relates to the curvature of space. If the surface of the balloon is two dimensional, the fact that we know that the balloon is curved doesn't apply as it would require a third dimension to be curved "into". As the curvature of the universe, when considering it as three dimensional, requires a fourth dimension were you using the third dimension of the (real) balloon to be an analogy of that? In any case how is a positively curved universe implied?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Thanks for saving me a response. My only question relates to the curvature of space. If the surface of the balloon is two dimensional, the fact that we know that the balloon is curved doesn't apply as it would require a third dimension to be curved "into". As the curvature of the universe, when considering it as three dimensional, requires a fourth dimension were you using the third dimension of the (real) balloon to be an analogy of that? In any case how is a positively curved universe implied?
I'm not sure whether I understand your question. "the fact that we know that the balloon is curved doesn't apply" - apply to what?
The universe is (at least) 4 dimensional. The 4th dimension is time, and space is curved in the direction of time. I.e., in the analogy, the inflating balloon represents space expanding - and getting farther away from the centre.
The balloon analogy works only because the balloon is positively curved - as Einstein believed the universe to be when he came up with GR.
That is all only in my understanding, and the analogy may fall apart at some point. I'd like to discuss this with someone knowledgeable, but @Meow Mix is MIA and I haven't seen @Polymath257 in some time.

Heyo

Veteran Member
And that is why it is very poor analogy. Doesn't work, if you acknowledge also the third dimension.
It works just as fine, but most humans have problems with imagining 4 dimensions, it is just out of our normal perception.
Your argument is as if you said pictures and videos are bad analogies because they are 2-dimensional.