• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Literal Gods?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I now consider gods to be either a way to explain things or to have been people that once existed.

I don't think the two are actually related, but when I was learning about Hannibal of Carthage, the one-eyed warlord who basically made Rome his *****, I was immediately reminded of Odin, the one-eyed God who often acts as a war God.

ladybug77

'Gods' are both literal, and non-literal. We are 'Gods'...and not THE God. Human beings are 'Gods' that experience equality with eachother. Understand my view on the concept of the word: 'God'...and it makes alot of sense. But to be a 'God' doesnt make us any more powerful than anyone else...its potential energy...anyone can be a 'God'...but then there is 'The God'...that we cannot be...as lucifer tried.

Figments of one's imagination. Spiritual ideas used to manipulate, control, enslave, and dominate the masses. Thoughtforms. Forces of nature. Spirits. Ancient humans. Sentient machines. Bio mechanical life forms. Creations of the highest God. Telepathic extraterrestrial biological entities. Intra dimensional beings. Ancient gods.

Existing within one's mind. Inhabiting the earth. Within the earth. Within some stars, other planets, or deep space. Beyond black holes. Beyond the galaxy. In another dimension. Beyond this universe.

EyeofOdin

In a way the gods are all three constructions we use to create a healthy spirituality, cosmic forces and literal beings. They are constructs in the sense that we use symbols and an anthropomorphized figure to better connect to them. They are cosmic forces in the sense that they are abstract powers and principle forces that occur in The Universe and within ourselves. They are also literal beings in the sense that they are individuals who have wants, desires and preferences. I'll give some examples:

Loki is the cosmic force of destruction and recycling. He takes those aspects which are parasitic to use and destroys them (he's described as the son of Farbauti and Laufey, the "cruel striker" and "dead leaf matter". His name means something to the effect of raging fire, as when lightning strikes dead leaves, it creates a forest fire). A regular small forest fire is actually necessary to the environment. It burns dead material such as leaves and fallen branches to fertilize the land. If this is somehow avoided, the dead material will build up and the next fire would be catastrophic.

Loki is also an individual. He has pet peeves, such as arrogance and pride. He has relationships, is very close with his brother by adoption, Thor, his children and his wife, Sigyn.

Loki also represents something within us. He represents the part within us who us humble, blunt (sometimes to a fault) and self reflective. He also represents that dark place within us that at first seems evil and demonic, but when you go deeper it's the true part of ourselves.

Some people would obviously disagree with me, especially with my example of Loki (which by the way is mostly based on UPG), but you asked for my opinion so I gave it.