• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Locksport

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I recently got involved in this hobby and basically was wondering if there are other members who are involved.

For more information:

Sounds like a good hobby for my son.

He's obsessed with keys. The locksmith knows him by name.

He wanted me to take him recently. Had picked out a very specific blank key, and had some letters and numbers written on a paper.

He got in there and barked something at her. I told her I was sorry, but I didn't know what he was asking. She smiled and said "I do." Took his key and paper, went in the back, and came back with a cut key. Apparently, he'd figured out the locksmith codes. She said that key was free of charge.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Elgin aluminum.jpg
Elgin
No Belt Rank

458207383_122098033862508859_8415554694275622166_n.jpg
Brinks Laminated
Yellow Belt

Master LOTO 410 x2.jpg
Masterlock 410 LOTO
Green Belt

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

He wanted me to take him recently. Had picked out a very specific blank key, and had some letters and numbers written on a paper.

He got in there and barked something at her. I told her I was sorry, but I didn't know what he was asking. She smiled and said "I do." Took his key and paper, went in the back, and came back with a cut key. Apparently, he'd figured out the locksmith codes. She said that key was free of charge.
I could speak "key" with him, eg, the advantages
of 6 pin vs 5 pin tumblers, shortcomings of a
grandmaster system, pinning interchangeable
core locks, Dexter 67 compatibility with KW1.

A basic pick kit & some junk locks for practice
would be hours of fun fun fun!

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I learned to pick locks because it was useful
as a landlord. But I was/am pretty bad at it.
I still re-pin locks occasionally.
I was a property manager for a mobile home park (64 units) for quite some time.
During which I got quite proficient at bypassing locks.

Since getting involved with locksport I have learned that I was not "picking" locks as I thought.

The real difference between picking and bypassing is the manipulation of the inside pins, be them tumble, dimple, wafer, disc, etc.
If you do not set them to the shear line to open the lock it is not considered "picking"
At least not in locksport.

And then there is the halfway technique of "raking" a lock.....

I am learning it is much more complicated than I thought.
But still fun.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

My apologies.
I thought I had replied to your above post and have just noticed that I have not.

I am not sure if you are familiar with Lishi tools.
They have a couple different styles, some that will pick the lock and then let you decode the key and some that let you decode the key with out having to pick the lock.

I have been wanting to get my hands one some, but they are currently out of my price range.

Then there is the art of Impressioning

Impressioning is a non-destructive, covert method of creating a working key for a lock without picking or disassembly. Impressioning is one of the most useful skills in locksmithing, and is divided between copying and manipulation techniques. Copying focuses on making negative-image molds of a source key, while manipulation uses various techniques to determine the proper heights of internal components. Impressioning via manipulation is closely related to decoding.​

My wife got me a Replicant for our anniversary and I have been having a blast with it.

It is a Key-based Impressioning technique that requires you already have the key.

Manipulation-based Impressioning is much more complex but also fun.
Though it requires a lot more patience that key-based.
And I mean a lot more patience.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
My apologies.
I thought I had replied to your above post and have just noticed that I have not.

They have a couple different styles, some that will pick the lock and then let you decode the key and some that let you decode the key with out having to pick the lock.

I have been wanting to get my hands one some, but they are currently out of my price range.

Impressioning is a non-destructive, covert method of creating a working key for a lock without picking or disassembly. Impressioning is one of the most useful skills in locksmithing, and is divided between copying and manipulation techniques. Copying focuses on making negative-image molds of a source key, while manipulation uses various techniques to determine the proper heights of internal components. Impressioning via manipulation is closely related to decoding.​

My wife got me a Replicant for our anniversary and I have been having a blast with it.

It is a Key-based Impressioning technique that requires you already have the key.

Wondering if that Replicant might be a good birthday present for the lad...

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Wondering if that Replicant might be a good birthday present for the lad...
My grand daughter, who is 6, will bring me random keys and ask to replicate them.
After a bit of practice it actually quite easy and so long as one is mindful and careful it is a lot safer than one might think.

Though if you do get him one, I would advise you wait at least four hours after casting before retrieving the key.

The maker of the Replicant also has an instructional/demonstration video as well as printable written instructions for it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was a property manager for a mobile home park (64 units) for quite some time.
During which I got quite proficient at bypassing locks.

Since getting involved with locksport I have learned that I was not "picking" locks as I thought.

The real difference between picking and bypassing is the manipulation of the inside pins, be them tumble, dimple, wafer, disc, etc.
If you do not set them to the shear line to open the lock it is not considered "picking"
At least not in locksport.
Correct.
Residential locks here are all deadbolts with pin tumblers.
Bypassing isn't possible. So I picked some. This was
necessary when tenants changed locks, & moved out.
They never gave us keys.
And then there is the halfway technique of "raking" a lock.....
My son is good at that.
I never used the technique.
I am learning it is much more complicated than I thought.
But still fun.
I was never able to get a pick gun to work.
And I had a plug spinner, but never needed it.
I rekeyed....
Dexter 67 (ie, Jet# DE6)
Schlage (Jet# SC1 & SC4)
Best 1A1A1 <-- Interchangeable cores are finicky.
Many more pins...smaller pins.
I really had to keep my key duplicator well
adjusted, & use alignment wires in order
to make reliable copies.

My son just gave me back my pick kit.
He upgraded to one with more & better tools.
And Lishi tools. They work really well.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I just upgraded some of my combination
padlock configurations to these. If Bosnian
Bill approves of'm, they're plenty good for me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My apologies.

I wouldn't mind having a replcant.
But they're expensive.
And not available yet.
OIP.8xQv1C9QSnRlXOGVnLPyPQHaFo

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
If this has to do with tons of keys, my brother who is schizophrenic had a complete meltdown about bunches of keys of all things. He would not lock his front door with a key in fact.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
If this has to do with tons of keys, my brother who is schizophrenic had a complete meltdown about bunches of keys of all things. He would not lock his front door with a key in fact.
What sets him off about them?