• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Locksport

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, but I'm also not naive. Like when I learned it's because we were going places in the school we weren't supposed to be.

Lumping these together, yes I have some concerns. Such is why I mentioned the Anarchist Cookbook. Lockpicking won't make you blow yourself up (been happening with the Anarchist Cookbook for decades), but it's still something that teaches people how to be a thief, sort of like how going to an American jail as they are is problematic because people learn how to be better criminals.
I really think we need to access what kind of societal impact this is having.
Welcome to a free (relative to others) society.
There'll be dangerous info out there.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Welcome to a free (relative to others) society.
There'll be dangerous info out there.
When I say dangers, the Anarchist Cookbook is notorious for its recipes that blow up on people. That easily has dire consequences for others, especially in a city. A free society is not teaching people how to blow themselves up and endanger others.
Likewise I must ask what impact is teaching the masses how easy it is to pick many locks having on society?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I say dangers, the Anarchist Cookbook is notorious for its recipes that blow up on people. That easily has dire consequences for others, especially in a city. A free society is not teaching people how to blow themselves up and endanger others.
Likewise I must ask what impact is teaching the masses how easy it is to pick many locks having on society?
You speak of possibilities.
But what is the reality, ie, bombings resulting from that book?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
You speak of possibilities.
But what is the reality, ie, bombings resulting from that book?
People have caused damage and destruction from attempting to make things in the book, partly because several recipes are flawed (even in 71 much if it was outdated), but even the FBI says the chapter on bombs is good. I don't know of anyone who's blown up a bridge reading it, but indeed it explicitly promotes violence, it teaches people how to make it happen amd it gets people hurt.
So, again, I must ask what sort of influence is "locksport" having on society?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Yes, but I'm also not naive. Like when I learned it's because we were going places in the school we weren't supposed to be.
YOU are the one making the claim that the skills for LockSport are mostly used for no good.
I for one challenge that claim.
Now it is on you to actually support it.

Lumping these together, yes I have some concerns. Such is why I mentioned the Anarchist Cookbook. Lockpicking won't make you blow yourself up (been happening with the Anarchist Cookbook for decades), but it's still something that teaches people how to be a thief, sort of like how going to an American jail as they are is problematic because people learn how to be better criminals.
Are you making the claim that I am a thief?
Are you next going to take the stance that my owning a firearm makes me a murderer?
I know your first gut reflexive response is to say that they are different, but from my end of the accusations, they actually are not.

I really think we need to access what kind of societal impact this is having.
Good idea.
Since lock picking has been around for almost, but not quite, as long as locks have been around, there should be plenty of material to peruse.

Of course, the first thing I would look into is how many burglars actually SPP locks before entry.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Interesting. I had no idea.

I've only a little experience with more invasive techniques that don't leave much of the lock behind.
For a bit more than a decade I had to find non-destructive means of entry because I was responsible for un-neccassary damages I did to rentals gaining entry.

Sometimes it is easier (and cheaper) to break and then replace a window than it was to mess with the door....

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Apparently not much since the Combing technique has been around for more than a century and the major lock manufactures have done little to nothing about it, thus making a ton of locks still vulnerable to it.

There are other bypass methods that have been around for forever, that lock makers know about, and little to nothing is done about it.

So here we are, a society that thinks our stuff is so much more secure and safe than the reality reveals.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
For a bit more than a decade I had to find non-destructive means of entry because I was responsible for un-neccassary damages I did to rentals gaining entry.

Sometimes it is easier (and cheaper) to break and then replace a window than it was to mess with the door....
When I was in high school, I came home one day to find the north storm window leaning up against the house. Mom tells me, "Your younger brother forgot his key". At least he didn't try to remove the door.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Messing with doors can get expensive, quick.

I learned this the hard way.

First thing I do is check to see if anything is unlocked..
Little brother may have checked, but my folks usually locked up pretty well.

I ended up re-installing the window.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Messing with doors can get expensive, quick.

I learned this the hard way.

First thing I do is check to see if anything is unlocked..
This locksport is pretty interesting. I've seen a few videos in the past. One of a guy defeating a padlock with a tool made from an aluminum can. That was pretty interesting. And it didn't take that long to open either.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
This locksport is pretty interesting. I've seen a few videos in the past. One of a guy defeating a padlock with a tool made from an aluminum can. That was pretty interesting. And it didn't take that long to open either.
Here is a website that ranks locks (mostly padlocks) based on the Karate belt system.
White being the easiest to pick/bypass to Black being the most difficult to pick/bypass

You can even type in the name of most padlocks to see where it ranks.
Though keep in mind that Masterlock and American have their names on each others locks...

Then if you are really curious you can click on the locks and most of them have a picture of what the "guts" look like.

For example, the Master Lock 911 I just got single pin picked (SPP) looks like this on the inside;

mpoijuhb.JPG

One serrated pin and four spools.

Most people, not even locksmiths, are going to mess around with picking it if the goal is get past it quickly.