• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loki: the Trickster

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Everyone knows I'm Kemetic on RF I think, but I sometimes have a draw to non-Kemetic deities, and even worship some of them from time to time, such as my love for Ganesha. Can anyone tell me about Loki? I read some of the Norse myths and felt a draw to him. Is it dangerous to enter into his worship? What kind of offerings does he accept? Merely curious...

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Do we have many active Ásatrúar on RF?

I just did a quick google and found some things. It appears some people do worship him, but I'm not sure how many modern Heathens do, though?

I'm going to hang around this thread, as I'm a fan of Norse stuff as well. :D

cloudedice

I'm reading through the Eddas now, but I can't say I'm very knowledgeable about the topic. From a quick search it would appear that the majority of heathens don't worship Loki and either fear him, or treat him with a cautious respect.

I found this three part series on the Demonizing of Loki to be interesting:
patheos.com/community/paganportal/2010/05/17/the-demonization-of-loki-part-i/
patheos.com/community/paganportal/2010/05/20/the-demonization-of-loki-part-ii/
patheos.com/community/paganportal/2010/05/24/the-demonization-of-loki-part-iii/

Another interesting article about Loki:
patheos.com/community/paganportal/2010/06/06/wyrd-designs-loki-at-the-hearth-fire/

Part of the problem of Loki, that I see, is that he's a trickster and doesn't like doing things the normal way. He's probably not a fan of ritualized worship. Since he is a fire god, perhaps impromptu worship involving fire or hot/spicy food/drink. Maybe a quick game of 52 card pickup would please him as well.

As Loki is Odin's blood-brother, he should be acknowledged at the same time as Odin. So mead and ale work. However many modern Heathens ignore this tradition, instead claiming that it would draw his attention, which is considered undesirable since one may not like Loki's sense of humour.

While I can see this (my own UPG with him confirms that he really doesn't operate on a level that humans would understand or appreciate) I would think snubbing him would be a fast way to incur in darker attentions.

Antibush5

If I remember correctly, he is a pretty alright god, he may help you out in businesses that need a little bit of subtlety, I also think he likes money. But it has been years since I read abot him.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
The demonization of Loki was due in large to his association with the Christian Satan, right? That's pretty much the same with the demonization of Set, although I don't know many modern Kemetics who don't worship Set.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If you ask me, I would guess that Christian (and Muslim) cultures tend to assume that other religions parallel their own, including in that any adversaries of their head gods should be assumed to be "the" adversary (of everyone/of good/whatever). If anything, that was probably even more true in Medieval times, when regional rivalities where so prevalent and divine favor was assumed to be with the victors.

The concept of a trickster god is probably very alien for most Christians.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
First you have to understand that Loki was the son of Farbauti (a thunder-giant whose name means "harmful striker") and Laufey (which means "leaf island"). So he is born from giants. He was smart, ingratiating, witty and good looking. He was also vicious spiteful and conniving. He was all the worst parts of ego. He (and Gullvieg) were sent to Asgard as part of a peace-hostages deal. Anyhow I could go on about him but the short of it is he is dangerous. Any slight is met with viscous reprisal. Any oath or being is only of use to him until they no longer were. At that point he would us them to their detriment or cause it to be done. He served no one but himself and since his capture and imprisonment loathes all that the gods (especially the Aesir) love. He waits, hoping ruin upon creation until the day of Ragnarok when he will break free and bring the doom of the gods upon them. That day Heimdall will strike off Loki's head and Loki's hatred is so strong that in his death he still manages to kill Heimdall. When that happens the sun goes out and the stars fall from the heavens.
So "no" I wouldn't recommend worshiping him. Some make mention of him during (certain) celebrations as a form of appeasement and to avoid his wrath. That sounds weak and certainly not courageous and the gods would have us be strong and fight such villainy where it is found.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Wayfarer isn't it true though that the demonization of Loki might due to Christian influence?
I believe that there may well be some Christian influence in the Loki stories, I feel that we have enough sources that support that Loki, under the kindest light, was a troublemaker who should be watched closely and not to be trusted. It would seem that the Loki storyline is woven too tightly to many key traits of other gods not to indicate that. If you look at the godsagas as giving examples to live by then it would make sense that there would also be bad examples that you shouldn't follow and to show how deceit and treachery can be found anywhere.

Hioni

I have a Pen
... I honestly think of him as a god personification of Karma in a way. He like's to point out others flaws, and if he oversteps his own line he often repairs his wrongdoing to a point. I wish I still had the Link I found a while back, someone wrote a blog that went in depth on it, and I really suck at this sort of thing.
There was also the whole explination of him also being considered a god of Fatepersonified or something and the god of change.
As for the whole ragnarok and killing Baldar thing... I'd be pretty ****** too if someone locked my family up because the fates told them something was going to happen, wether or not he had any special ties to them... The gods kinda caused it to happen by trying to stop it in my opinion...

lunakilo

As far as I remember the stories the other gods (Æsir) got very angry with Loki for causing tha death of Balder.
They tied Loki to a rock where he will stay untill Ragnarok.
I don't know if worshiping a god who will only be free when the world ends is a good idea ;)

But then again, Loke causes earth quakes when he tries to break free from the stone (or twist away from the snake poison dripping in his face), so with all the earth quakes in Japan at the moment, maybe the end is near...

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
In my opinion, as someone who is not an expert by any means, but has a great interest in Heathenry, Loki isn't the god of choice.

For one, in ancient Germanic society, he would be an oathbreaker and murderer, which are some of the biggest crimes one can commit. In the Edda's he does nothing besides serve himself, often at the detriment of the Aesir. He may have had a hand in the forging of Mjolnir, but it was simply because of his love of gambling that he even asked the dwarves to create the hammer.

He also serves no real purpose like the other Aesir do, nearly all of his actions create chaos and conflict for no end, which is something the Aesir fight against, in order to keep the world in order.

So for honoring and worshiping Loki - I think it's not the wisest action. Unless you think you need chaos and upheaval in your life that might leave you with the short end of the stick.

lunakilo

For one, in ancient Germanic society, he would be an oathbreaker and murderer, which are some of the biggest crimes one can commit. In the Edda's he does nothing besides serve himself, often at the detriment of the Aesir. He may have had a hand in the forging of Mjolnir, but it was simply because of his love of gambling that he even asked the dwarves to create the hammer.
And the only reason he went to talk to the dwarves in the first place was that he had cut off Sifs hair, and Thor was so mad that he said he would kill Loki if he didn't obtain new hair for Sif.

Loki never did anything nice for anybody of his own free will.

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
Exactly. Which is why I am not very sympathetic to the attempts to paint him as an unsung hero ;)

lunakilo

Exactly. Which is why I am not very sympathetic to the attempts to paint him as an unsung hero ;)
I feel I should mention that my daughters name is Sif and she has beautiful golden hair. Every time I mention cutting her hair she becomes very upset.
I feel for Thor when I think about Sif standing before him crying about her hair :)
( I have always loved that story about Sifs hair and Lokes bet with the dwarves )

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
I feel I should mention that my daughters name is Sif and she has beautiful golden hair. Every time I mention cutting her hair she becomes very upset.
I feel for Thor when I think about Sif standing before him crying about her hair :)
( I have always loved that story about Sifs hair and Lokes bet with the dwarves )

Aww, your daughter sounds sweet :)

I have always loved that particular myth as well. I adore how tactful Thor is when dealing with Loki :D