• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longevity Diet etc.

iholdit

This was started in another thread of whether it would be possible for a human to live past the around 120 year mark.

Some of the topics that were discussed to possibly achieve this were a caloric restricted with optimal nutrition(cron) diet, intermittent fasting(if), supplements, epigenetics, having children later in life, and genetics.

To update the people who didnt view this discussion i will post the studies on cron diet in humans here.
Caloric Restriction in Humans
Looking For The Founatain Of Youth? Cut Your Calories, Research Suggests
Thinner And Younger: Calorie Restriction Reduces Markers Of Aging
How Eating Less Might Make You Live Longer
Effects of long-term calorie restriction and endur... [Age (Dordr). 2010] - PubMed result

We did not go into many studies on the other possible methods of increasing lifespan in humans but i expect we will here.

The questions are.
Do you believe it is possible for a human to live longer than around 120 years old?
If so what methods do you think would be most likely to cause this to happen?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Do you believe it is possible for a human to live longer than around 120 years old?
If so what methods do you think would be most likely to cause this to happen?
Various people in Israel, from communities such as Druze Arabs, other Arab and Mid eastern ethnic groups arrive and reach beyond the 100 years 'line'.
A common diet feature they reason is a daily intake of olive oil in the morning, I am of course talking about a small amount taken on regular basis for the long run. and not drinking a whole cup of olive oil.
Jewish Rabbis in Israel recommend the same formula and add fresh lemon juice squeezed out of a lemon.
The dosage is usually one large spoon of olive oil and one large spoon of fresh lemon juice, if I remember it correctly.
The medical idea behind it is that the olive oil creates with time and regular intake a protective envelop around your liver, an internal organ responsible for filtering toxins from your body and other essential and vital functions.

Ubjon

Once we have a basic understanding of the ageing process which I suspect will be in the next decade or so we'll be able to extend life through a combination of genetic modification before conception, lifestyle changes and augmentations to take over from failing organs or cloning replacement organs.

asketikos

renouncing this world
i heard about calorie restrictions that work
but i guess, what's the point to prolong life so long, especially when you're so old can't do much?

iholdit

Various people in Israel, from communities such as Druze Arabs, other Arab and Mid eastern ethnic groups arrive and reach beyond the 100 years 'line'.
A common diet feature they reason is a daily intake of olive oil in the morning, I am of course talking about a small amount taken on regular basis for the long run. and not drinking a whole cup of olive oil.
Jewish Rabbis in Israel recommend the same formula and add fresh lemon juice squeezed out of a lemon.
The dosage is usually one large spoon of olive oil and one large spoon of fresh lemon juice, if I remember it correctly.
The medical idea behind it is that the olive oil creates with time and regular intake a protective envelop around your liver, an internal organ responsible for filtering toxins from your body and other essential and vital functions.

This study in rats shows"The animals that were given extra virgin olive oil during the experiment were least likely to die."
Life-extending effect of virgin olive oil shown in fat rats

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
but i guess, what's the point to prolong life so long, especially when you're so old can't do much?
These men and women are VERY clear thinking. they converse more clearly and maturely than all young men and women.

iholdit

Cal is correct. Studies show olive oil may help prevent alzheimers.
Natural Compound In Extra-virgin Olive Oil -- Oleocanthal -- May Help Prevent, Treat Alzheimer's

Studies have shown memory to be better in people on a cron diet compared to a normal diet.
Calorie restriction can boost memory: Study | The Money Times

Not only that the mice in the cron studies were actually very functional right up to the point the died, which for some of them was the human equivalent of 160 years old.

Last edited:

Ubjon

Dr Cutler sounds like a quack

Meet Dr. Michael Cutler, M.D. | Dr. Cutler
Dr. Cutler is uniquely qualified as a noted authority on preventative solutions to aging issues, general family ailments and nutrition, with an understanding and respect for the natural harmony of the human body. He has devoted his career to learning how to optimize health through simple changes in diet and lifestyle. His goal is to educate others so they can heal and teach others such principles of sustainable health, thereby shifting the paradigm of health care to one of personal empowerment and inspiration from God.

Dr. Cutler is a Board-Certified Family Physician specializing in a wide range of chronic degenerative diseases, anti-aging and prevention. Raised in the East Bay Area of San Francisco, CA he is a graduate of Brigham Young University, Tulane Medical School and Natividad Medical Center Family Practice Residency in Salinas, CA.

He also appears to rely on personal testimony and the line that some research indicates that X may have an effect on Y. I'd rather see some published clinical trials demonstrating the effacy of his products rather than these vague claims. Just looking through his articles there is a fair amount of bollocks like 'Yeast balancing your immune system'.

I also have little trust in the medias interpretation of genuine research. Might be an idea to use stuff from Pubmed or even just googlescholar rather than the drivel pushed by quacks like Dr Cutler and scientifically illiterate journalist.

asketikos

renouncing this world
i guess the question that i have regarding all this is why? why do you want to live so long, or at least longer than the natural age limit?

iholdit

Dr Cutler sounds like a quack

Meet Dr. Michael Cutler, M.D. | Dr. Cutler

He also appears to rely on personal testimony and the line that some research indicates that X may have an effect on Y. I'd rather see some published clinical trials demonstrating the effacy of his products rather than these vague claims. Just looking through his articles there is a fair amount of bollocks like 'Yeast balancing your immune system'.

I also have little trust in the medias interpretation of genuine research. Might be an idea to use stuff from Pubmed or even just googlescholar rather than the drivel pushed by quacks like Dr Cutler and scientifically illiterate journalist.

Not sure what happened there i had a link to an actual study not testimonials or dr. culters opinion. I must have copied something wrong. Sorry about that. I edited the other post with a different link to the study.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
i guess the question that i have regarding all this is why? why do you want to live so long, or at least longer than the natural age limit?
Because life is beautiful. there are so many people to meet, so many landscapes to explore, so many women to talk to.
as for life expectancy. this even varies from region to region. for example, my original nation has one of the highest life expectancies in the world, while other regions such as in Africa have some of the lowest, with decades of differences between the longevity of people.
also. through the improvement of medicine in the previous century, the life expectancy of the general public in the developed world has jumped the normal scale. so it is all relative and related to the environment.

Ubjon

There are many things to enjoy in life ways of contributing to making life for those around you better. On the other hand there are serious issues associated with lengthening life such as who will have access to the technology, the health of people who live longer, and the demand on limited resources that longer lived people will have.

If someone doesn't want to live longer then would it simply be a case of not intervening or if its something that done via genetics will we respect peoples right to end their life at a time of their choosing? There is still considerable concern about euthenasia from all corners and although I'm generally for it I would want to ensure that there are the proper checks inplace to ensure people are making the right decision for themselves.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If you believe in afterlife, why live longer?
If you don't believe in afterlife, why live longer?

If you live longer you are gonna experience more suffering. That is pretty much a fact.
I am more interested in a diet that can improve my life experience , rather than improving my life expectancy.

Last edited:

iholdit

If you believe in afterlife, why live longer?
If you don't believe in afterlife, why live longer?

If you live longer you are gonna experience more suffering. That is pretty much a fact.
I am more interested in a diet that can improve my life experience , rather than improving my life expectancy.

It would depend what you mean by life experience. If you mean better health in general, than a cron diet has shown this along with life extension. Cron mice for example are pretty much usually running around the cage with little to no health problems, until the moment they die(which in some cases is the equivalent of 160 human years).

Koldo

Outstanding Member
By life experience i did mean a better health in general. I would love to have a better health without increasing my life expectancy! I don't think this is possible though.

iholdit

There are many things to enjoy in life ways of contributing to making life for those around you better. On the other hand there are serious issues associated with lengthening life such as who will have access to the technology, the health of people who live longer, and the demand on limited resources that longer lived people will have.

If someone doesn't want to live longer then would it simply be a case of not intervening or if its something that done via genetics will we respect peoples right to end their life at a time of their choosing? There is still considerable concern about euthenasia from all corners and although I'm generally for it I would want to ensure that there are the proper checks inplace to ensure people are making the right decision for themselves.

Im not sure exactly what you mean by access to technology?

As far as health, cron, "if", supplements, epigenetics and having children later in life have all shown not only life extension but better overall health as well.

As far as limited resources. I envision a cron world, where people will eat less calories and less meat. This would make more food available to feed the world. On cron diets women go through puberty later. For example 200 years ago women had their first period around 18 years old and this is a similar timeframe for mice on cron. Not only is puberty later but menopause is earlier, making a lesser window for people to have children. If we eliminate teen pregnancy and eliminate people having numerous children we can stabilize population growth. We will have to live in a "greener" world but we will have to do that anyway even if we only maintain our current lifespan.

iholdit

By life experience i did mean a better health in general. I would love to have a better health without increasing my life expectancy! I don't think this is possible though.

If you read the studies in the op you will notice people on cron diets have less cardiovascular problems, hypertension, diabetes etc. The studies in mice show all those as well as less cancer etc.

I will try to find video to show you a comparison between old mice on cron and old mice not on cron. Not only is cron mice health better but they are as functional as much younger mice.

But it would be difficult to be in better health without increasing lifespan unless maybe you take up some high risk behavior.

Last edited:

Ubjon

Im not sure exactly what you mean by access to technology?

As far as health, cron, "if", supplements, epigenetics and having children later in life have all shown not only life extension but better overall health as well.

As far as limited resources. I envision a cron world, where people will eat less calories and less meat. This would make more food available to feed the world. On cron diets women go through puberty later. For example 200 years ago women had their first period around 18 years old and this is a similar timeframe for mice on cron. Not only is puberty later but menopause is earlier, making a lesser window for people to have children. If we eliminate teen pregnancy and eliminate people having numerous children we can stabilize population growth. We will have to live in a "greener" world but we will have to do that anyway even if we only maintain our current lifespan.

Acccess to technology? What I mean is that will this technology only be available to the ruling elite, only in the developed world or will it be available to all.

In regards to the point I made about limited resources your response includes a lot of 'ifs', many of which I doubt will ever happen. Whenever you attempt to change peoples behaviours you innevitably run into the 'but its my human right to *insert activity*' arguement and the whole debate stagnates and nothing happens while things get worse.

iholdit

Acccess to technology? What I mean is that will this technology only be available to the ruling elite, only in the developed world or will it be available to all.

In regards to the point I made about limited resources your response includes a lot of 'ifs', many of which I doubt will ever happen. Whenever you attempt to change peoples behaviours you innevitably run into the 'but its my human right to *insert activity*' arguement and the whole debate stagnates and nothing happens while things get worse.

I agree it would take global participation and likely government action to implement it. Its hard to get people to quit smoking, even though i feel my human rights are being violated by having to breathe the smoke in. So it is certainly not going to be an easy task.

iholdit

I think a better question would be, why wouldnt you want to live that long if you could live that long in good health?