• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

looking for a belief system.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
This is a fault of the US education system, which is sad.

By the time I was 10 we'd studied Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Paganism (to an extent) and celebrated Diwali, set up a mock Indian market and dressed up in Saris, lit candles, had food etc. We had specific lessons for this.

Very true! That said, after the age of 12 I moved from public schooling to southern Baptist schooling which was far, far worse. The only time they touched on other religions, which only happened a handful of times in only the most superficial ways, was to dunk on them and to discuss why Christianity was better. So, coming from a background where I was ignorant on the topic of religion, I could be projecting some

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Theism might not be traditional in many strains of Buddhism, but I don't see it as being incompatible.

Irrelevant perhaps, but if it works for the practitioner, why not?
Buddhism is of course very eclectic, but I'm not sure someone need go looking into zen (specifically) if one is looking to tick the "includes god" box.

syo

Grew up Christian. I am looking for a belief system that includes god, nature, spirit, love and compassion.

Any suggestions?
Love and compassion? Christian or Muslim. Both nutcases with love and compassion.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Grew up Christian. I am looking for a belief system that includes god, nature, spirit, love and compassion.

Any suggestions?

I'll second starting with Unitarian Universalism, if for no other reason than it is a non-creedal religion (not a "belief system") that lets you discover your own religious path.

Members of Unitarian Universalist fellowships can be practitioners of just about any world religion you can name, so it is a great place to get exposed to and learn about religious diversity. UU's rarely have a singular religious identity, so to speak - they're more pluralist in their approach to religion than that. So you will have people who are UU and Christian, UU and Buddhist and Pagan, UU and Secular Humanist... all sorts of combinations. The catch is each fellowship will be a bit different depending on the membership. Some fellowships are more political than others, and the principles of UU are inherently liberal (see Unitarian Universalism's Seven Principles).

meshak2

Love and compassion? Christian or Muslim. Both nutcases with love and compassion.
Mainstream Christians are not Jesus' followers.

they don't follow Jesus' teachings.

Jesus is a prince of peace. He commands His followers to love their enemy.

But mainstreamers are always at war killing their enemies.

meshak2

Any suggestions?
I suggest getting to know true Christianity, not triune god worshipping Christianity.

Jesus' pure teachings are in the NT books, Mattew, Mark, Luke, John, and Revelation.

It is pure love and compassion teachings.

meshak2

Becoming a pagan has certainly had a positive influence on my life after years of negative experiences as a Christian.
I suggest getting to know true Christianity, not triune god worshipping Christianity.

Jesus' pure teachings are in the NT books, Mattew, Mark, Luke, John, and Revelation.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I suggest that you cease using the No True Scotsman fallacy, as I don't accept it as a valid argument to discredit the Christians who don't live up to your expectations of what you believe Christians should be. I consider this fallacy to be a cop-out to deliberately excuse the unethical behavior of Christians and an awfully weak argument by one Christian to discredit other Christians whom they personally dislike. In fact, I consider it to be a pathetic excuse.

meshak2

I suggest that you cease using the No True Scotsman fallacy, as I don't accept it as a valid argument to discredit the Christians who don't live up to your expectations of what you believe Christians should be. I consider this fallacy to be a cop-out to deliberately excuse the unethical behavior of Christians and an awfully weak argument by one Christian to discredit other Christians whom they personally dislike. In fact, I consider it to be a pathetic excuse.
I am talking about Jesus' word, not mainstream teachings.

You sound so offended, why?

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
My son had a virtual lesson on Islam when he was doing Virtual Schooling... it seemed like at least a third of the lesson was discussion on hijabs. It annoyed both of us... I really don't understand why folks get stuck on that one detail.

When I was a freshman in high school in Texas back in the early noughties, our geography teacher taught us about world religions for about a week. When telling us about Hinduism, which I knew nothing about, he talked and talked about caste and dalits. He also said something about sati and 330,000,000 deities. The only thing that I remember that he got right was the idea of moksha being the final goal of human life.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
When I was a freshman in high school in Texas back in the early noughties, our geography teacher taught us about world religions for about a week. When telling us about Hinduism, which I knew nothing about, he talked and talked about caste and dalits. He also said something about sati and 330,000,000 deities. The only thing that I remember that he got right was the idea of moksha being the final goal of human life.
From what I've read, a lot of Hindu youth in the US say their teachers obsess over caste and 'untouchables' when teaching about Hinduism.