• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost

twittydon

Hi, I am new and I do not know what religion i belong to. I do have five questions that my help me decide. 1. What two factors explain the development of Deism in the 17th and 18th centuries? 2. In what basic ways is the God of Deism different from the God of Christian theism? 3. Please explain the Deist's idea of a closed cosmos or a "clockwork universe." 4. Is Deism an unstable compound? 5. Compare your personal worldview with Deism.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Hi, I am new and I do not know what religion i belong to.
Do you feel the need for one?

1. What two factors explain the development of Deism in the 17th and 18th centuries?
Sorry, can't help you there.

2. In what basic ways is the God of Deism different from the God of Christian theism?
Well, it's impersonal, that's a biggie. It's also non-interventionist. As my dad says, "My God lit the fuse for the Big Bang and walked away."

3. Please explain the Deist's idea of a closed cosmos or a "clockwork universe."
I'm not familiar with the former, but the latter seems to refer to the Watchmaker argument.

4. Is Deism an unstable compound?
What? Theologies aren't compounds. I get that that's probably a metaphor, but what you mean, I have no idea.

5. Compare your personal worldview with Deism.
Heavy influence, but not very similar.

twittydon

Is Deism an unstable compound? What? Theologies aren't compounds. I get that that's probably a metaphor, but what you mean, I have no idea.
I feel that Deism is an unstable compound because they are undecisive in their reasons of why God created the universe and left us to maintain it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Actually, the deists I know don't waste time speculating on God's motives.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Maybe this will help. These are the Articles of Reason I have drawn from my beliefs.
Although I cannot speak for all Deists, I think this explains the beliefs of modern Deism very well.

1. Human beings are endowed by their Creator with the ability to Reason.
2. Reason and Natural Law lead us closer to the truth.
3. Reason leads us to believe in one God, or Prime Mover, who began Creation, and let Creation follow its own path, according to Natural Law.
4. Reason leads us to believe that all Human Beings are equal, regardless of race, origin, gender, or sexual preference.
5. We owe it to ourselves, as Reasonable beings, to act morally towards one and other.
6. God works within the realm of Natural Law, “miracle” and “revealed revelation” does not fit within Natural Law or Reason.
7. We owe it to ourselves, as Reasonable beings, whose very existence is dependent upon Natural Law, to be thoughtful caretakers of this world.
8. God, through Natural Law, gave us life. Reason leads us to believe that our purpose in life should be to live life to the fullest, and to ensure that all are provided the opportunity to do so.
9. Natural Law gives us Freewill. Predestination is contrary to Natural Law and is not Reasonable.
10. There is no “True Path”. As Science and understanding of our Natural world evolve, so too will our understanding of God.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Is Deism an unstable compound? What? Theologies aren't compounds. I get that that's probably a metaphor, but what you mean, I have no idea.
I feel that Deism is an unstable compound because they are undecisive in their reasons of why God created the universe and left us to maintain it.

Why speculate on Gods motives? This is not indecisive, just reasonable.
Attempts to "humanize" God only limit our understanding of God.
We are not created in Gods image, we are byproducts of Gods initial creation.
A Deist feels that the best way to understand God is to understand more about nature and the Laws that govern it.