• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luck or Chance?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you believe in luck? That is, do you think chance favors (or disfavors) some people at times? Why or why not?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe in chance. If someone wants to call it luck, more power to them. :) At least if you believe you have good luck, you are confident. :)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I should answer the rest of the question-Yes, chance does seem to be in our favor sometimes and against our favor in other times. But, in reality, it is all just chance.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Do you believe in luck? That is, do you think chance favors (or disfavors) some people at times? Why or why not?
I believe in chance, but I call it luck because people accept it better. I don't think chance "favors" anyone or anything in the traditional sense. Luck is as fickle as a random number generator.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I do, indeed, though I recognize it to be in the context of perspective, i.e. the way in which we've arranged the bits of the world at any given moment. That is to say that as I recognize that there are also other ways of arranging the world, I also don't believe in luck.

If destiny is real, it can't be trusted, because it's totally contingent upon the motivation and actions of people.

Hey Dawny,

If destiny is real then is one not always exactly where one is supposed to be?
If destiny is real, can it be contingent upon anything other than its own momentum?
Is swampy daft?

best.
swampy

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Hey Dawny,

If destiny is real then is one not always exactly where one is supposed to be?
If destiny is real, can it be contingent upon anything other than its own momentum?
Is swampy daft?

best.
swampy

To an extent, I can agree. But, because we have the ability to make choices, our destiny is not a constant, it is always changing - a story to be written. Its momentum is determined by its author, therefore, it can't be a determining force in and of itself - it's fluid.

It's driven by the desires, choices and assertions of its master.

If I wasn't required to act to meet such destiny, then I'd be more apt to buy that destiny is a legit concept. But, I've found that luck and chance are absurd in the regards that anything worth while is something that I've had to act upon or work for. Therefore, I've worked towards a "destiny" of my own making.

I used to believe in destiny, until I realized that all I've hoped for and wanted in my life, I pursued. My life is mine. All of my romantic thoughts about life...that I'm destined for this and that is bs. It's what I make it. I'm fortunate to have the beautiful people in my life to share with, but I'll always have a responsibility for acting upon that which is important to me.

If I was destined to be where I've been at certain places in my life...destiny sucks. I prefer to take responsibility for making poor choices.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member

i think we are surrounded by luck every minute of the day...
if it disfavors some it's because they are not prepared for it
if it favors others it's because they are prepared