• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lutheran Group Allows Gay Pastors

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I've already posted this in another thread, but I thought this deserved more attention. Forgive me if another thread has already been created about this. (I tend to miss these things! :D)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070811/us_nm/religion_lutherans_dc

Article said:
Homosexual Lutheran clergy who are in sexual relationships will be able to serve as pastors, the largest U.S. Lutheran body said on Saturday.

What do you think about this?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
suprised. :no:

Do you mean you are surprised and don't like it, or that you aren't surprised?

It doesn't really surprise me. I remember it was something of a shock to some members of my hometown community when a female pastor began preaching at the local Presbyterian church that most of my family attends (an amazing lady, I must add!). But she saved the Church from being closed and has doubled the attendance. It is an example of how new cultural movements affect traditions in religion.

Perhaps members of the Lutheran churches where gay pastors preach will discover that sexual orientation has little to do with their ability to preach spirituality.

rocka21

Brother Rock
Do you mean you are surprised and don't like it, or that you aren't surprised?

It doesn't really surprise me. I remember it was something of a shock to some members of my hometown community when a female pastor began preaching at the local Presbyterian church that most of my family attends (an amazing lady, I must add!). But she saved the Church from being closed and has doubled the attendance. It is an example of how new cultural movements affect traditions in religion.

Perhaps members of the Lutheran churches where gay pastors preach will discover that sexual orientation has little to do with their ability to preach spirituality.

in my view it is a sign of the last days paul talked about. but of course that is just MO.

i don't mind , its not a church i attend so if they allow it, they are free to do so.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
in my view it is a sign of the last days paul talked about. but of course that is just MO.

i don't mind , its not a church i attend so if they allow it, they are free to do so.

Interesting!

Does it matter whether it's a church you attend or not?

rocka21

Brother Rock
I'm sure people said the same about blacks and women, too.

ooohhhh here we go!:eek:

born black, born a women,..........

born sticking your penis in another mans anus?;)

and the can of worms opens............. in 3,2,1............:eek:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

and the can of worms opens............. in 3,2,1............:eek:
Born gay, yes. Just like you were born straight. Do some research.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
There's no doubt in my mind...homosexual clergy members will be able to touch the hearts of many people who otherwise would not step foot in a church let alone consider opening their hearts to Christ.

And I'm joyful for these people.

I'm a bisexual Christian female. I personally, couldn't justify my sexuality to a congregation because I feel that it would be sinful for me to act upon certain desires. I don't think I fully understand certain viewpoints on homosexuality.

But I do understand and have experienced what it's like to be downed and treated poorly for my differences and I'm truly happy for these individuals... that they can do what they feel they've been called to do...and to do so without hiding who they are as individuals.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
but i will close the can now, ...... worms get back in there... if not, this is 60 page thread in the making.

Well, that would be the longest thread I have started! :D

(Being gay doesn't necessitate anal sex, by the way. :))

What I'm more interested in, though, is the relationship of cultural norms and traditional sin. Our culture is cycling through another "homosexuality appears to be okay" phase, and it is having an obvious impact on religion.

I personally see it as a positive thing. Rather than being forced under the rug, homosexuals with a passion for Christian spirituality can teach what they've learned in the denomination of their choosing.

Smoke

Done here.
Too little, too late.

Of course, people can't help it if they're born black, or born female, any more than people can help it if they're born gay. But they're just as responsible as gay people are for indulging themselves by following their black and female lifestyles.

rocka21

Brother Rock
Well, that would be the longest thread I have started! :D

(Being gay doesn't necessitate anal sex, by the way. :))

What I'm more interested in, though, is the relationship of cultural norms and traditional sin. Our culture is cycling through another "homosexuality appears to be okay" phase, and it is having an obvious impact on religion.

I personally see it as a positive thing. Rather than being forced under the rug, homosexuals with a passion for Christian spirituality can teach what they've learned in the denomination of their choosing.

thats why i like RF. i can hear the " other side" of the debate instead of just being feed one side. at least i know where people who don't believe like me come from and why they think that way.

its a start.:clap

rocka21

Brother Rock
Too little, too late.

Of course, people can't help it if they're born black, or born female, any more than people can help it if they're born gay. But they're just as responsible as gay people are for indulging themselves by following their black and female lifestyles.

yes, some people are born with iniquities. drinking, anger, sex, etc....

black and female are not sin's in the bible.

jacquie4000

I've already posted this in another thread, but I thought this deserved more attention. Forgive me if another thread has already been created about this. (I tend to miss these things! :D)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070811/us_nm/religion_lutherans_dc

Although no longer Lutheran, I am suprised. We had a paster that liked younger women, he lost his job over that. We were quite close to the catholic religion. We became closer as the years went on it seemed. These things would never be accepted in the Lutheran religion I was raised in. I am by no means saying that is the right way it is just the way is was.

Smoke

Done here.
black and female are not sin's in the bible.
It is a sin to be an Amalekite, though, and it must have been a sin to be any kind of Canaanite, since God urged their extermination. Whether it's a sin to be black depends on your interpretation of the scriptures, I guess:
And they shall know that I am the LORD, when I have set a fire in Egypt, and when all her helpers shall be destroyed. In that day shall messengers go forth from me in ships to make the careless Ethiopians afraid, and great pain shall come upon them, as in the day of Egypt: for, lo, it cometh.
and
The LORD will be terrible unto them: for he will famish all the gods of the earth; and men shall worship him, every one from his place, even all the isles of the heathen. Ye Ethiopians also, ye shall be slain by my sword.​
And of course, Bible-believing white Christians in the antebellum American South (and many since) knew very well that the black people were cursed by God, and that it was God's will that they serve white people.

UnityNow101

I don't have anything against homosexuals in general, but I do not believe that they should be the leaders of a Christian community. I wish that I could say that homosexuality is not a sin. Unfortunantely, the Bible tells us otherwise. Leaders of the faith should be those that turn away from sin and despise it, whether it be homosexuality or lying. The seriousness of sin before the eyes of God should NEVER be downplayed simply to make other people feel comfortable about themselves and their walk in the lusts of the flesh. I am saying this as someone who believes that Christians should despise and walk away from ALL sin. For we know that "no one that is born of God practices sin."