• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magical elitism

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Breath I promise you none of that is necessary
Yeah, I doubt it's all necessary except as some form of, well, self-suggestion thing.
But every time anyone's ever said "I know a spell", it's always been like that. Lapis lazuli stones fetched from a river by a mountain, and all sorts of things like that. It'd be a quest to get them -- that kind of thing.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Yeah, I doubt it's all necessary except as some form of, well, self-suggestion thing.
But every time anyone's ever said "I know a spell", it's always been like that. Lapis lazuli stones fetched from a river by a mountain, and all sorts of things like that. It'd be a quest to get them -- that kind of thing.
Its hard to make a suggestion I don't know what you have on hand or what it would represent to you

HexBomb

I think it's also because of so many different "kinds" of magic that draw different people, both how complicated some things can be and the kind of "magical elitism" that the thread talks about, as well. Some people find value in quests to make or find things, and put much more of themselves into the search, thus putting more of themselves into the working. My mother's things were very much like that, as Romani magic tends to be, because for them, life is all about the journey and the energy of it. Hers could be terribly specific, cutting this under the full moon, or ground ivy that grew outside the gates of the cemetery, that kind of thing. My Da on the other hand, is very much of the KISS method. Matches from above the sink, water from the tap, make your rosewater in the same pot you used to cook corn last night.

I think magic fits different niches in different peoples lives. There are people who come to find it because they want to be one of the elite, to have power, to feel important, and ceremonial magic can fill that need. Unfortunately, this means that they have a tendency to look down on people who don't approach it the same way.

At the opposite end of the extreme, you have the people who believe magic can't be controlled, that just thinking something n a general direction with intent is magic, and that anyone with any kind of physical ritual or recipe is deluding themselves, I've run into both.

I try not to fall into either. I do magic the way I know, the way that I'm comfy with but still challenges me, and I work on constantly trying to understand as many branches as I can. Weirdly enough, for me, Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy was easier to get through than a lot of the "basic" books I've seen on the market.That tended to be because I'd get frustrated and toss them against a wall, but...still. I don't think one way is necessarily better than another.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Witch... genes...?

BWAAAAHAHAHAHA!!

The Craft was a terrible movie, let's leave it with the rest of the refuse from the 90s, ok?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
@Breathe
iti is right, absolutely none of that is necessary. Nothing is necessary save a trained mind. If people tell you need special candles and crap, then they don't know what they're doing, so don't try to learn from them.

Myself, I have a strict policy that ritual and trappings are for worship purposes only.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Resurrection!

I think elitism is an important aspect or magical practice actually. Yes, every can do magic, and in fact everyone who does do anything does magic whether they're aware of it or not. However, elitism, long winded titles, secret orders, all these add the the psychodrama that is magic. I don't agree with the idea of witch genes or groups who have knowledge from pre-history, but keeping things hidden / silent is occult / magic by definition.