• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major transitions in evolution

i don't really have time at this moment. Also, I want to say that I will not be able to answer all questions, but I will do my best, when I have time, to look into matters. This is not to say that there are no answers for some things, just that I don't know them all.

Just for starters, the sun was created on the fourth day. The light that was originally there came from somewhere else in the universe. Even today there are many different kinds of light, so we shouldn't say that God was limited to the use of sunlight.

Last edited:
With regard to the age of the earth:

A young Earth (less than a a few hundred million years old) is childsplay. Depending on where you live, most of the undisturbed earth and rocks have formed over hundreds of millions of years.
With my job, i need to know regional geology in order to be able to make informed decisions about the type of soils we may encounter in a number of different situations. It has also been experimentally demonstrated that 6inches of soil or there abouts takes approximately 9000 years to develop through sedimentation. Given that my house is currently sitting on 3.4m of soil and then bedrock (another story), well im sure you can do the maths there.
Where i am there are lot of inorganic clay deposits which is weathered bassalt. This process takes upwards of 100 million years.

Do i need to keep going or do you get the picture?

In regards to Noahs Flood:

Lets start with the basics. Where did the water come from and where did it go?

To be sciencish, the infiltration of water into soil under the weight of the water caused by such a high magnitude flood would have destroyed the soil horizons leaving (most likely) a sign for geologists to see.

For the flood, when the earth was first created there was some sort of canopy of water over the earth. That is one source of the water. In Genesis 7:11 it says, "In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened." This is the source of the water. As to where it went, the water receded from the earth gradually. Part of this could be evaporation, because before the flood there was no rain and afterward there was. The rest of it settled into the ocean and returned to the "fountains of the deep."

As to a sign for the geologists, look at the Grand Canyon.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
For the flood, when the earth was first created there was some sort of canopy of water over the earth. That is one source of the water. In Genesis 7:11 it says, "In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened." This is the source of the water. As to where it went, the water receded from the earth gradually. Part of this could be evaporation, because before the flood there was no rain and afterward there was. The rest of it settled into the ocean and returned to the "fountains of the deep."

Where did the canopy come from? How was such a weight of water suspended there?

I see you do not understand hydrology. Water doesn't just simply evaporate and go away. Evaporation potential is the amount of water the atmosphere can take which would not be a lot of water with respect to the total volume of the flood.
Also, water does not simply flow out of the ground. It would take a cataclysmic event to eject groundwater.
Fountains in the deep is just flat out wrong. Infiltration occurs so so slowly that most likely we would still be 10ft deep in water worldwide.

I think you are unaware of a few concepts here.

The grand canyon is not a sign. The Grand Canyon is just arid land-erosion on a large scale.

you are a very confused man

do you even read what you post

please give me a break

no it could not

Have you ever looked up a word in a book? the book called a DICTIONARY. once you get this book look up two words REALITY and LOGIC

please do this for me

Explain to me your arguments against these please.

outhouse

Atheistically
Painted Wolf is showing you scientific evidence of the proccess know as evolution, you really should try and learn something.

EVEN YOUR POPE say evolution is OK

"In a major statement of the Roman Catholic Church's position on the theory of evolution, Pope John Paul II has proclaimed that the theory is 'more than just a hypothesis' and that evolution is compatible with Christian faith

POPE JOHN PAUL II EMBRACES EVOLUTION!! - Christian Updates - New World Order. .

INSTEAD OF KNOCKING IT because of your lack of education on the subject, try reading and comprehending the knowledge put forth.

Your POPE commands it lol

linwood

So when we see fossils of sequential generations showing a trend of slight variations from the previous generation and greater variation from older generations, with the difference becoming greater as the generations become more separate, what conclusion should we reach?

GODDIDIT!!!!!

Damn, don`t you get this by now?!!

:biglaugh:

St Giordano Bruno

Why not just assert the water flowed over the edge of the flat earth like as if it was a big overflowing bucket? Just as silly.

outhouse

Atheistically
Credit when credit is due please. Evaporation would have occured until the saturation point so technically the point you made is wrong.

no your wrong

heres a little tid bit for ya. why doesnt the ocean evaporate then silly

the ocean and its levels can and are tracked and there has been no major changes

Where did the canopy come from? How was such a weight of water suspended there?

I see you do not understand hydrology. Water doesn't just simply evaporate and go away. Evaporation potential is the amount of water the atmosphere can take which would not be a lot of water with respect to the total volume of the flood.
Also, water does not simply flow out of the ground. It would take a cataclysmic event to eject groundwater.
Fountains in the deep is just flat out wrong. Infiltration occurs so so slowly that most likely we would still be 10ft deep in water worldwide.

I think you are unaware of a few concepts here.

The grand canyon is not a sign. The Grand Canyon is just arid land-erosion on a large scale.

The whole evaporation idea was just something I thought of. I had not looked into it.

As far as requiring a cataclysmic event this was recorded as an act of God.

The erosion in the Grand Canyon was a result of the flood though. I really should be taking the time to research my answers so that I can better respond to your question, but I apologize. I do not have the time right now. However I still believe that the Grand Canyon is a result of the flood.

outhouse

Atheistically
The whole evaporation idea was just something I thought of. I had not looked into it.

As far as requiring a cataclysmic event this was recorded as an act of God.

The erosion in the Grand Canyon was a result of the flood though. I really should be taking the time to research my answers so that I can better respond to your question, but I apologize. I do not have the time right now. However I still believe that the Grand Canyon is a result of the flood.

dont research your waisting time, if that was the case there would be grand canyons everywhere.

it was just a creationist idea they came up with once trapped in a corner

theres no science there

Ok, guys. I broke out one of my sources. Sorry for my trying to do it from my own little head. :) I am going to start over.

Genesis 7:11-12 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

The Bible tells us that water came from two sources: below the earth and above the earth. Evidently, the source for water below the ground was in great subterranean pools, or "fountains" of fresh water, which were broken open by volcanic and seismic activity.

Where did the water go?

Genesis 8:3 And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.

Simply put the water we see from the Flood is in the oceans and seas we see today. Three-quarters of the earth's surface is covered with water.

As even secular geologists observe, it does appear that the continents were at one time "together" and not separated by the vast oceans of today. The forces involved in the Flood were certainly sufficient to change all of this.

Scripture indicates that God formed the ocean basins, raising the land out of the water, so that the floodwaters returned to a safe place.

My source was The New Answers Book 1 by Ken Ham. pg. 135

there no arguement here, this is just a case of a uneducated christian who believes a 2000 year old myth.

your Lost sir and its sad, your own pope tells you evolution is ok the water is fine come on in.

your own pope knows that christianity has to evolve to stand up in modern times. He is evolving the religion because its getting to the point they were looking foolish and rightfully so.

You can either evolve with the world and keep your faith or you can live out of reality and enjoy your myth

I am not a Catholic. I do not belong to the pope. And how can I be expected to argue against you if you do not present your side?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
no your wrong

heres a little tid bit for ya. why doesnt the ocean evaporate then silly

the ocean and its levels can and are tracked and there has been no major changes

:rolleyes: you're just as bad as a creationist.

The ocean does evaporate somewhat. Its just that the saturation of the air reduces the evaporation potential of the air and thus the volume variance of the ocean is almost insignificant.

Stop being ignorant, it really is irritating.

outhouse

Atheistically
I am not a Catholic. I do not belong to the pope. And how can I be expected to argue against you if you do not present your side?

fair enough about the pope

there is no proof anywhere of a world wide flood.

look noah is supposed to be a white guy, if there was only one white family on the planet, what 4000 years ago when this was supposed to happen. there would be no different races of people. we would all be white.

Look your the one out in the dark, I cant throw enough light into save you.

the whole bible is built on a house of cards. In case you have not noticed it has fallen

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The only thing about all of this is that it is all art. I don't see any actual evidence here, just an artist's impression.
Wow this thread got off topic spamed... but I'll address this as it's somewhat relevant to the subject of the thread.
They aren't impressions, they are illustrations of the fossils. Impression implies the illustrator didn't actually have the bones there to work with.

wa:do

outhouse

Atheistically
Stop being ignorant, it really is irritating.

I have to play on there level and speak a language they can understand.

scientist try to use facts to prove evolution. the good work is mostly ignored

it seems cornering the creationist with facts doesnt work either.

Me im going to club them like baby seals with there own BS. They will realize that evolution makes more sense then a 2000 year old myth. One way or another

fair enough about the pope

there is no proof anywhere of a world wide flood.

look noah is supposed to be a white guy, if there was only one white family on the planet, what 4000 years ago when this was supposed to happen. there would be no different races of people. we would all be white.

Look your the one out in the dark, I cant throw enough light into save you.

the whole bible is built on a house of cards. In case you have not noticed it has fallen

The proof is all around. I feel that this is going nowhere and so I am just gonna stop. The problem is our starting points. We look at the same evidence and come up with two very different conclusions.

No one ever said Noah was white. In fact he most likely was not. Truthfully there is only one race: human. The difference in our so called races is so minute that it does not really make a difference. The different skin colors and facial shapes, etc. cam about as a result of natural selection. Natural selection is not the same thing as evolution. Natural selection is merely selecting information that already exists.

I am not going to argue any more at this time. Sorry I have not been much help.