• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Malala Yousafzai - a praiseworthy heroine

F0uad

Well with all respect to the girl off-course the Taliban didn't shoot her because of her ideas about educations but of promoting Secularism (According to the Taliban). You have to be nuts to think that anyone would shoot someone for promoting education, however shooting someone for any reason is nuts.

Alceste

Vagabond
Well with all respect to the girl off-course the Taliban didn't shoot her because of her ideas about educations but of promoting Secularism (According to the Taliban). You have to be nuts to think that anyone would shoot someone for promoting education, however shooting someone for any reason is nuts.

The Taliban does not believe in education for women or girls. When they were in power in Afghanistan, girls generally were not welcome in schools. Intimidation and physical assault against girls going to school is routine. I think you may be misinformed.

Dingbat

The Taliban does not believe in education for women or girls. When they were in power in Afghanistan, girls generally were not welcome in schools. Intimidation and physical assault against girls going to school is routine. I think you may be misinformed.

Schools along the Pakistani border that were opened for girls have been constantly bombed as well by the Taliban.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I seriously do think that this girl deserves the Nobel Peace Prize more than any of the recent winners. She is indeed a heroine and most worthy of praise.

"Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." - Thomas Paine

This young girl is a great mind, and I applaud her search for knowledge in the face of danger. If there is a God, then surely she's on the right side.

Bismillah

Submit
Actually no. The Taliban both in Afghanistan and in Pakistan has continually targeted schools, girls attending schools, and those teachers who would dare to admit girls into their premises. Government schools are routinely set on fire, shot at, bombed, and the teachers threatened, abducted, and murdered. There is one particular instance that I won't forget. It detailed a burning school and in front of it a tree from which hung a charred lump of flesh. It was the principal of the aforementioned school who had dared to admit girls into his school. It was one of Musharraf's more well received policies when he opened a greater number of government schools for girls and provided extensive security to protect them from the TTP. There is a reason why Pakistan suffers from some of the highest rates of illiteracy among women.

For reference I am a Pakistani, half of my family originates from the NWFP, and my grandmother was a principal that ran a all girls government school.

Malala was targeted, at least according to most of the Urdu news stations I saw last, because she kept a detailed diary during the period when the Taliban controlled parts of her town. Due to her immense popularity among a Western audience and the greater Pakistani community at large the Taliban considered her a very valuable target.