• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man - 'Created in the image of God'

For this thread...and for what I have written....
say 'nay' if you care to....

But the Devil knows the scriptures....all of them.
He knows the prophets....all of them.

The Devil doesn't live in heaven.

Knowing scripture is not a saving grace.....nor is it proof.

You are correct. Knowledge of the Scripture does not save. Faith in Christ is what saves us.

You still are not answering where you are getting your info?

free spirit

Daily Devoted
You are wrong on my taking this out of context. If Paul is discussing how he was before Salvation, why then does he use the present tense in saying I am carnal, sold under sin. Paul calls himself the chief of sinners. 1Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. This letter was written to Timothy toward the end of Paul's life and he uses present tense.

Yes Paul describe himself as the "chief of sinners" but somewere he also said that he is that, because he had persecuted the church of God, by that statement Paul was saying to the newly converted that God can forgive any sin because He had even forgiven him who had committed the bigest sin.

free spirit

Daily Devoted

You cannot substitute the word flesh for devil. The devil is not flesh. The devil is spirit.
Yes, but you must know that the temptations of the flesh are spiritual, and that they are not coming from a piece of meat.

Also, this refers to Christ's appearing in His full glory, which He has not yet done, other than to three of His disciples. When Christ returns in His glory, we will then be transformed to be like Him. Sin is who we (humans) are not what we do. Sin is our nature

If that is the case the gift of the Holy Spirit is not doing anything in our lives, so why was he given????
And if that is so what is the difference beween a Christian and the non Christian?????

Daily Devoted

Yes Paul describe himself as the "chief of sinners" but somewere he also said that he is that, because he had persecuted the church of God, by that statement Paul was saying to the newly converted that God can forgive any sin because He had even forgiven him who had committed the bigest sin.

Show me where it relates it to that.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You really make no sense.

Well maybe you're new to this.

You have the scripture...as do I.
The book is probably similar enough, no need to chop words.

But as a coin in your hand, another coin in mine....
you would ask of me, no more than you already possess.

I have many times what you possess.
The coin in my hand has been multiplied.

What?....you don't know how parables work?
Still confused about what a godly image really is?

Yes, but you must know that the temptations of the flesh are spiritual, and that they are not coming from a piece of meat.

Oh yes, I know it is not, but it didn't seem that you did. And remember, you were the one substituting flesh for devil.

If that is the case the gift of the Holy Spirit is not doing anything in our lives, so why was he given????
And if that is so what is the difference beween a Christian and the non Christian?????

Not true. The Holy Spirit is empowering us. We are free from bondage to sin. This does not mean that we don't sin, just that we don't have to.

The difference between a Christian and a non-Christian is that Christians have the Holy Spirit indwelling us and giving us power over sin. We are not slaves to our sin, the non-Christians still are. This is not to say that they can't do works that in humans eyes are good.

Well maybe you're new to this.

You have the scripture...as do I.
The book is probably similar enough, no need to chop words.

But as a coin in your hand, another coin in mine....
you would ask of me, no more than you already possess.

I have many times what you possess.
The coin in my hand has been multiplied.

What?....you don't know how parables work?
Still confused about what a godly image really is?

I see. So you think speaking with these "parables" makes you smart. I still don't see the proof of anything you have posted. It's just your word. I guess you think your word is more valuable than anyone else's. Including God's Word.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I see. So you think speaking with these "parables" makes you smart. I still don't see the proof of anything you have posted. It's just your word. I guess you think your word is more valuable than anyone else's. Including God's Word.

The Carpenter did say so.....

If you keep my sayings...they will also keep your sayings.

free spirit

Show me where it relates it to that.

TIMOTHY 1:12 -13, "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service; even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecuter. And yet I was shown mercy, because I acted ignorantly in umbelief."

read also Galatians 1:11-16.
As you can see sin was in Paul past life, but if you are correct it would be like Paul is saying (do as I say, not as I do) surely you must know, that is not the beaviour of a true Christian.

free spirit

Daily Devoted

The Holy Spirit is empowering us. We are free from bondage to sin. This does not mean that we don't sin, just that we don't have to.

Well if that is the case I like to be an umbeliever because he has an excuse "he is inslave to sin so it is not is fault" But if I have the power over sin and in disregard of my power I sin, that makes me a disobedient child.

Please Brother Read the following Scripture and ubsorb its wisdom.
HEBREWS 12:7-13, "It is for discipline righteousness that you endure; God deals with us as sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected obey them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live? For they discipline us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, that we may share His holiness. all discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness. Therefore, strengthen the hand that are weak and the knees that are feeble, and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed."
Just think about that and the Lord will show you what He is saying.

Rick B

Premium Member
Herein lies the "likeness and image" of God in which we were created.
1. Understanding, will, emotions.
2. Dominion, government, authority over the earth.
3. In his purity and rectitude. Knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness. He was "upright". This does not refer to man's standing on his two feet but moral integrity.
Eph.4:24; Col.3:10; Eccl.7:29

TIMOTHY 1:12 -13, "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service; even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecuter. And yet I was shown mercy, because I acted ignorantly in umbelief."

Please continue reading: 1Timothy 1:12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Note the switch to his having obtained mercy. He has switched over now.

And you still have not explained this passage in Philippians:

Philippians 3:4 ¶ Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 ¶ And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Daily Devoted

Well if that is the case I like to be an umbeliever because he has an excuse "he is inslave to sin so it is not is fault" But if I have the power over sin and in disregard of my power I sin, that makes me a disobedient child.

Please Brother Read the following Scripture and ubsorb its wisdom.
HEBREWS 12:7-13, "It is for discipline righteousness that you endure; God deals with us as sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected obey them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live? For they discipline us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, that we may share His holiness. all discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness. Therefore, strengthen the hand that are weak and the knees that are feeble, and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed."
Just think about that and the Lord will show you what He is saying.

Hebrews 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye ********, and not sons.
9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.

As to the righteousness: a person does not have to be without sin in his life to produce righteousness. Faith is how we are counted righteous.

Galatians 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

We know that Abraham sinned and yet because he had faith God counted him righteous. This is also the case with David, Isaac and many other believers in the Bible.

free spirit

We know that Abraham sinned and yet because he had faith God counted him righteous. This is also the case with David, Isaac and many other believers in the Bible.

Yes brother but you have overlooked Hebrews 11:39-40 in wich we read "And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us the spirit of Christ they should not be made perfect."
So the Holy Spirit was given to make us perfect.

Well Daily Devoted if you think that you can do what you please while having Christ in you, you are greatly mistaken: do you realise that you are defending the right of been disubidient to the Lord. The word "Lord" mins master and if he is your master you better obey him and grow up.

free spirit

Daily Devoted

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
If you can identify yoursef with the above scripture you are on your way to holiness,

Well Daily Devoted if you think that you can do what you please while having Christ in you, you are greatly mistaken: do you realise that you are defending the right of been disubidient to the Lord. The word "Lord" mins master and if he is your master you better obey him and grow up.

As I said before: I am not excusing my sin. I am just pointing out that we cannot become perfect in this life, and I think you know this is true.

You have yet to explain this passage:

Philippians 3:4 ¶ Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 ¶ And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

This is not an excuse to sin, but a person should understand that in this life we cannot obtain the state of sinlessness. This is important for many reasons; one of which is that thinking that you should be perfect, makes a person lose hope when they fail.