• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man - 'Created in the image of God'

free spirit

As I said before: I am not excusing my sin. I am just pointing out that we cannot become perfect in this life, and I think you know this is true.
Dear Brother we are slow to learn that holiness does not come all at once, it is a learning process: We all have to go through the works of repentance, for repentance is the vehicle that move us forward to enter the kingdom of God. When we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit our conscience is made clean our past sins have been forgiven, so we are babys in Christ and we all make mistakes but the Lord does not comdem us because we are children, we say sorry and that is the end of it, but to say sorry does not excuse us for doing it agan and again, when we say sorry we acknowledge that it was wrong, so we should learn not to do it egain, untill one day you find that you have killing the very sourse of that sin.
Now if we have truly received the gift of the Holy Spirit, we are no longer slaves of sin, for the Spirit of Christ who dwells in us has conquered sin in the flesh, therefore through Him we can now resist the temptations of our flesh and kill its sinful ways by starving them to death, one by one. We must always be mindful that He has given us the gift of Holiness, but it is up to us to take possession of that gift by consciously resisting evil from expressing itself through us. For we read in 1Thessalonians 4:2-5: “For you know what commandments we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honour, not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God.”
You have yet to explain this passage:

Philippians 3:4 ¶ Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 ¶ And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law,
Paul is making a comparison between his past religious belief wich were based on observing laws through the natural self, and he says that he was good at it, but he now counted it as dung. The life in Christ which is based on having and living through the character of Christ, which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

You see brother Paul is saying that if we abandon the law to guide us we will then have to reliy on faith to do what is right and if we have recived the Holy Spirit or the Holy Character of Christ we will allways do the right thing. You cannot escape from it for Galatians 5:22-25, "but the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; agains such things there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. if we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the spirit."

This is not an excuse to sin, but a person should understand that in this life we cannot obtain the state of sinlessness. This is important for many reasons; one of which is that thinking that you should be perfect, makes a person lose hope when they fail.
We will not fail because he will not allow as to be tempted beond what we are able, read 1 Corinthians 10:13.

For we read in 1Thessalonians 4:2-5: “For you know what commandments we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honour, not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God.”[/SIZE][/FONT]

Sanctified is being set apart. We are not to be given over to these sins. This does not say that we won't fall into them at times, but that our lives should not constantly be in sin. Again, not an excuse to sin.

You see brother Paul is saying that if we abandon the law to guide us we will then have to reliy on faith to do what is right and if we have recived the Holy Spirit or the Holy Character of Christ we will allways do the right thing. You cannot escape from it for Galatians 5:22-25, "but the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; agains such things there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. if we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the spirit."

This goes right along with what we have been discussing. Our flesh is crucified with Christ. In other words, we are no longer enslaved to the sins of the flesh. Just because we are no longer enslaved to sin, does not mean that we will not sin.

You still have not been able to explain why Paul says that he has not attained perfection.

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

free spirit

You still have not been able to explain why Paul says that he has not attained perfection.

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect:
Well the ultimate perfection come at the resurrection because then and only then I can no longer wilfully sin.
but Paul says 1 Corinthians 4:15-16, "For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. I exhort you therefore, be imitators of me."
We read in 1 Corinthians 11:-1, "Be imitatos of me, just as I also am of Christ."
We read in Ephisians 5:-1, "Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children."
If we sin we are not imitating God nor Christ whos life has no sin, Paul sayd that he is imitating Christ so I believe that sinning was not part of his life either.

but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
But despite our position let us not be complacent for while we are in this life we will have chalenges ahed of us.

Well the ultimate perfection come at the resurrection because then and only then I can no longer wilfully sin.
but Paul says 1 Corinthians 4:15-16, "For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. I exhort you therefore, be imitators of me."
We read in 1 Corinthians 11:-1, "Be imitatos of me, just as I also am of Christ."
We read in Ephisians 5:-1, "Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children."
If we sin we are not imitating God nor Christ whos life has no sin, Paul sayd that he is imitating Christ so I believe that sinning was not part of his life either..

You said yourself that we cannot be perfect until the resurrection. There are no varying degrees of perfection. Either you are perfect or you are not. An imitator can only be so close to the original. We can imitate Christ, but still fall into sin. As long as we confess our sins and keep serving Christ, we are imitators of Christ.

free spirit

You said yourself that we cannot be perfect until the resurrection. There are no varying degrees of perfection. Either you are perfect or you are not. An imitator can only be so close to the original. We can imitate Christ, but still fall into sin. As long as we confess our sins and keep serving Christ, we are imitators of Christ.

Yes after the resurrection I cannot willfully sin, but before the resurrection I can sin because the Lord does not take away your own will from you, but are you willing to pay the conseguences for your sins: We read in Hebrews 10:26- 31, "For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain terrifying expectation of judgment, and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaies. Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and he has insulted the Spirit of grace. for we know Him who said, "vengeance is mine, I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge His people." it is a terrifying thing to fall ino the hands of the living God."

we read in Matthew 7:22-23, "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?" And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness."
Please tell me if you are free to have a choice why would you choose to sin: you are either a baby in Christ and you are not yet accountable, or you are not free; I hope you are not sinning willfully.
therefore If you are a baby in Christ please try to grow up. If you are not free ask the Spirit of the Lord to come into your life.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes after the resurrection I cannot willfully sin, but before the resurrection I can sin because the Lord does not take away your own will from you, but are you willing to pay the conseguences for your sins: We read in Hebrews 10:26- 31, "For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain terrifying expectation of judgment, and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaies. Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and he has insulted the Spirit of grace. for we know Him who said, "vengeance is mine, I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge His people." it is a terrifying thing to fall ino the hands of the living God."

we read in Matthew 7:22-23, "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?" And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness."
Please tell me if you are free to have a choice why would you choose to sin: you are either a baby in Christ and you are not yet accountable, or you are not free; I hope you are not sinning willfully.
therefore If you are a baby in Christ please try to grow up. If you are not free ask the Spirit of the Lord to come into your life.

This is a poor application.

It does not encourage and places the speaker with in a position of arrogance.

As with all action taken.....if your hand does anything at all....
it is that you thought you should do so....
or you felt like it.

Freewill is a different topic, covered thoroughly here at the forum.

The topic of growing up is also, a separate issue.

Perhaps the poster now sees an opportunity for a new thread?

arimoff

In Genesis, it is written that God created man in His own image. The ministers that I have talked to, do not take this statement as meaning, "We look like God, or God looks like us". They interpret it as spiritual (ie. "holy", etc.). We know that we are created above all other living things on this earth. In the scriptures, angels appeared in similar form to humans. We know that Christ said, "If you see me, you see my father." If I just apply general logic, and look at the whole animal kingdom as well as man, and even call the young of animals 'sons/daughters', the young look the same as their 'parents' (ie. a newborn fish doesn't change into a turtle). If angels are 'sons of God', and we can become 'equal unto the angels', and angels look like man, then God must look like us?????????:) What are your thoughts?

Our Rabbis teach us that G-D created this world out of love, to bestow good on to his creation and what is that good? G-D him Self, so when Genesis says created in the image of G-D it is not saying we look like him it means we can act like Him to spread love on to his creation.

free spirit

This is a poor application.

It does not encourage and places the speaker with in a position of arrogance.

As with all action taken.....if your hand does anything at all....
it is that you thought you should do so....
or you felt like it.

Freewill is a different topic, covered thoroughly here at the forum.

The topic of growing up is also, a separate issue.

Perhaps the poster now sees an opportunity for a new thread?

Yes I will grant you this for it is written "knowlege makes arrogant but love edify" therefore sorry for the arrogance but the truth still stands.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes I will grant you this for it is written "knowlege makes arrogant but love edify" therefore sorry for the arrogance but the truth still stands.

The 'truth' of your previous post actually fails.

Care to read...God's Promise?...
(a thread I started about a truth most Christians overlook.)

True enough knowledge makes envy from those who lack it.
Ever been accused of being too smart?
I lost count.

free spirit

The 'truth' of your previous post actually fails.

“Truth” in God’s eyes is not only that which is contrary to falsehood, but it is also a state of existence, the day will come when only “Truth” will exist in eternity. Then we can confidently say that“Truth” is a state of unchanging holiness, the essence of God to which we, by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ have become partakers.
In John 14:6, Jesus said, “I Am the ‘Way’, the ‘Truth’, and the ‘Life’; no one comes to the Father, but through Me”. Yes!
He is the “Way” because we must follow the footsteps of His earthly life = Repentance
He is the “Truth” because He is the embodiment of unchanging holiness = God
He is also the “Life” because He is the eternal Word = Eternal life
Care to read...God's Promise?...
(a thread I started about a truth most Christians overlook.)
Yes I have read all the posts of your God's Promise thread and I fail to see what it is that you want to know. some of those who have posted are correct.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
“Truth” in God’s eyes is not only that which is contrary to falsehood, but it is also a state of existence, the day will come when only “Truth” will exist in eternity. Then we can confidently say that“Truth” is a state of unchanging holiness, the essence of God to which we, by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ have become partakers.
In John 14:6, Jesus said, “I Am the ‘Way’, the ‘Truth’, and the ‘Life’; no one comes to the Father, but through Me”. Yes!
He is the “Way” because we must follow the footsteps of His earthly life = Repentance
He is the “Truth” because He is the embodiment of unchanging holiness = God
He is also the “Life” because He is the eternal Word = Eternal life

Yes I have read all the posts of your God's Promise thread and I fail to see what it is that you want to know. some of those who have posted are correct.

I posted God's Promise as a viewpoint....not an asking.

I see you perform Christian faith rants.

Our Rabbis teach us that G-D created this world out of love, to bestow good on to his creation and what is that good? G-D him Self, so when Genesis says created in the image of G-D it is not saying we look like him it means we can act like Him to spread love on to his creation.

This is what we are taught by the ministers of God's Word. My question, really is, "Are these ministers correct?" What scripture backs this up? If we are to become 'sons/daughters' of God, why would we not look like God? Why is it, that every animal's young, look like their 'parents'? Why do we assume, that we are any different? :)

as it says in romans 8:16 "we are the children of god." and we know that god is not a god of confusion. as we know children today they are the offspring of the parent. children look like there parents. so why would our relationship as children of god be any different, unless he is trying to confuse us.

http://www.elderbevan.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A not to anyone reading this.....

Post #251 has a clich...Thief is not properly quoted....the shadowed box....

Not my words.

arimoff

This is what we are taught by the ministers of God's Word. My question, really is, "Are these ministers correct?" What scripture backs this up? If we are to become 'sons/daughters' of God, why would we not look like God? Why is it, that every animal's young, look like their 'parents'? Why do we assume, that we are any different? :)

No in Judaism we don't become sons and daughters of G-D and we don't look like Him G-D does not have a body we can act like Him emulate Him with good deeds. Why is it, that every animal's young, look like their 'parents'? I would say DNA but I might be wrong but what do animals have to do with this? animals cannot emulate G-d's ways because they don't have freedom of choice they have instinct thats why we are different then animals we have a mind, we have a free choice.

Ninez

My opinion is that "image" is something other than literal resemblance.

Agreed. Since Jehovah and Jesus were both spirits when he said that, it's clear he didn't mean a litteral phsyical image. I think he was speaking more from the perspective of qualitative attributes, or traits he shares.

james2ko

Agreed. Since Jehovah and Jesus were both spirits when he said that, it's clear he didn't mean a litteral phsyical image. I think he was speaking more from the perspective of qualitative attributes, or traits he shares.

It would certainly seem that way. Let's allow scripture to interpret scripture:

In John 14:7, Jesus states, "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him." Then in vs 8 Philip asked, "...Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied." Notice Philip did not ask how can we know the Father. This statement was made towards the end of Jesus' ministry, thus Jesus had already made known to Philip and the rest of His disciples the Father's spiritual qualities. Phillip now wanted Jesus to show him the Father's physical qualities.

Scholars agree, (see Clarke, Gill, Henry's commentary on this verse) Philip was making the same request Moses made in Ex 33:18. They both wanted physical, literal manifestations of God. So what was Jesus' answer to Philip's request?

"Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don't know who I am? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father! So why are you asking Me to show Him to you?" (John 14:9 NLT)​

In other words, Jesus told Philip the Father's physical form and shape is just like my physical form and shape.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It would certainly seem that way. Let's allow scripture to interpret scripture:

In John 14:7, Jesus states, "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him." Then in vs 8 Philip asked, "...Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied." Notice Philip did not ask how can we know the Father. This statement was made towards the end of Jesus' ministry, thus Jesus had already made known to Philip and the rest of His disciples the Father's spiritual qualities. Phillip now wanted Jesus to show him the Father's physical qualities.

Scholars agree, (see Clarke, Gill, Henry's commentary on this verse) Philip was making the same request Moses made in Ex 33:18. They both wanted physical, literal manifestations of God. So what was Jesus' answer to Philip's request?
"Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don't know who I am? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father! So why are you asking Me to show Him to you?" (John 14:9 NLT)​
In other words, Jesus told Philip the Father's physical form and shape is just like my physical form and shape.

Completely wrong....here's the correction.

If you have read my postings...you know me...
If you keep my sayings I will know you....
If you keep not my sayings....I know you not.

See any parallel?

james2ko

Completely wrong....here's the correction.

If you have read my postings...you know me...
If you keep my sayings I will know you....
If you keep not my sayings....I know you not.

See any parallel?

No, actually...Can't find any of these in scripture :confused:
The only parallel I could find to these quotes is:

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; ;)