• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mankind still evolving

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Super Universe said:
Maybe Endless believes there is a being with a plan behind our evolution?

95% of the United States believes there is a supreme being.

The 5% can still think that it's all one gigantic accident if they want.
MY MOM USED TO SAY THAT i WAS AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN.

What do we consider an accident? Isn't it just a word to describe an event we wished hadn't happened the way it did? That makes it subsject to opinion.

My son's teacher said there is no such things as accidents, there is only being careful or not being careful.

Endless

:confused: I don't know what you are talking about now - you seemed to have diverted from the original point. I'm not going to argue with you if you think a fluorescent mouse is natural.
My previous post shows my position - it is not the nucleotide that is 'unnatural' - it is the sequence which is unnatural - because nature has not put it in a mouse through evolution. Mankind has put it in a mouse - hence it is unnatural. Look up the definition of unnatural. My point is simply that we are entering a new era in evolution - random mutation, natural selection, genetic drift and now alongside them we must put, mankind.

zabugle

Endless said:
:confused: I don't know what you are talking about now - you seemed to have diverted from the original point.

Hmm.. your the one who has brought up sequencing and cloning. The original topic the ability to take a gene from one organism and put into another, which we've been doing for three decades. Hardly a new era.

Endless said:
I'm not going to argue with you if you think a fluorescent mouse is natural.
My previous post shows my position - it is not the nucleotide that is 'unnatural' - it is the sequence which is unnatural - because nature has not put it in a mouse through evolution. Mankind has put it in a mouse - hence it is unnatural. Look up the definition of unnatural. My point is simply that we are entering a new era in evolution - random mutation, natural selection, genetic drift and now alongside them we must put, mankind.

Don't argue then. No one's forcing you. The sequence is not unnatural. It exists in nature. Mankind has been effecting evolution for thousands of years. Ever since we domesticated animals and cultivated plants. Hardly a new era. That's my point.

Endless

The sequence is not unnatural. It exists in nature.

I never said the sequence was unnatural -haven't you even read what i wrote?

Mankind has been effecting evolution for thousands of years. Ever since we domesticated animals and cultivated plants. Hardly a new era. That's my point.

Evolution happens over millions and millions of years - that is the time needed for mutation to produce new genes in organisms. My point is that we skip millions of years of evolution and simply pop a new gene into an organisms genome. And by 'new' i mean that random mutation didn't have to make it in that particular organism.

zabugle

Endless said:
I never said the sequence was unnatural -haven't you even read what i wrote?

Of course I am reading what you wrote. "it is the sequence that is unnatural" is a direct quite from you.

Endless said:
Evolution happens over millions and millions of years - that is the time needed for mutation to produce new genes in organisms. My point is that we skip millions of years of evolution and simply pop a new gene into an organisms genome. And by 'new' i mean that random mutation didn't have to make it in that particular organism

You're claiming that humans being involved with evoultion is something new. It is not; we've been doing it for thousands of years. The technology you're talking about has been around for over three decades. What I'm asking you is how is it revolutionary?

Endless

Zabugle,
You obviously have a very limited understanding of science. The sequence is unnatural in mice - that is what i said. If it isn't unnatural in mice then please tell me that in nature this sequence can be found in mice. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing - i have no time for this.

You're claiming that humans being involved with evoultion is something new. It is not; we've been doing it for thousands of years. The technology you're talking about has been around for over three decades. What I'm asking you is how is it revolutionary?

I've already explained all this, if you cannot understand what i write then that's not my problem.

zabugle

Endless said:
Zabugle,
You obviously have a very limited understanding of science.

Really you think so. I'll be sure to inform my PI.

Endless said:
The sequence is unnatural in mice - that is what i said. If it isn't unnatural in mice then please tell me that in nature this sequence can be found in mice.

The sequence is not found in mice in nature. However mice are perfectly capable of naturally transcribing and translating the sequence to produce the protein it encodes.

Endless said:
You are just arguing for the sake of arguing - i have no time for this.

Then stop.

Endless said:
I've already explained all this, if you cannot understand what i write then that's not my problem.

You have not explaned. You keep claiming the ability to move a gene from one organism to another is revolutionary, yet we've been able to do it for over 30 years. The general concept genetic manipulation of other organisms by humans is something we've been engaged in for thousands of years.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Endless said:
That adds no 'unnatural genes' that is evolution on existing genetic variability - ie. selection from the genes already present in the animals.
Genetic engineering is when we actually manipulate the genome ourselves - like taking genes from one species and transferring them to another species.
Like the gene for green fluorescence - we can transfer this into mice and the result is fluorescent mice! Just think what will be in our reach whenever we fully understand the human body and the interaction of genes etc. Will we transfer wings to humans? Will we begin creating monsters? This is what i mean when i say we are entering a new era in evolution...

The one I'm waiting for is genetic modification of babies. All of my offspring will be genetically engineered - I will purchase them online, if need be, if I can't find anyone to let me diddle with her eggs.

I will have one with twelve tentacles instead of arms so I can have someone to carry my luggage through airport terminals.

Another will be blessed with the ability to breath fire the better to light the barbecue but will also be predisposed to mixing a mean cocktail.