• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marketability of Your Religion Based On Your RF Contributions

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
RF is read not only by the denizens who participate, but by lurkers and guests who do not.

Based on your contributions on RF, how well do you think you represent your religion or belief system (or your atheism) to an outside seeker who is deciding what religion to follow or deciding to leave their religion for atheism?

Do you feel the way you discuss or debate your beliefs and your behavior in threads would attract a seeker to your religion, your spirituality, or your secular views?

Do you set an example for your religion? If so, how?

Without naming names, do you feel an aversion to a religion/form of spirituality/secular worldview not based on the dogma associated with it, but by how a person or people of that group here on RF carry themselves or represent their views?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know how "effective" my posts are in attracting others here to my faith. I don't use RF as a tool for proselytizing.
The OP has nothing to do with proselytizing. It has to do with what kind of impression your participation here might leave on a seeker that has an interest in your faith.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
RF is read not only by the denizens who participate, but by lurkers and guests who do not.

Based on your contributions on RF, how well do you think you represent your religion or belief system (or your atheism) to an outside seeker who is deciding what religion to follow or deciding to leave their religion for atheism?

Do you feel the way you discuss or debate your beliefs and your behavior in threads would attract a seeker to your religion, your spirituality, or your secular views?

Without naming names, do you feel an aversion to a religion/form of spirituality/secular worldview not based on the dogma associated with it, but by how a person or people of that group here on RF carry themselves or represent their views?
I have no desire to market my religion because it is only applicable for me and is for nobody else.

Only exceptions worth sharing are the method that anyone can use and that is Zazen. I'm happy the method, obviously attributed to the Buddha or whomever, was invented, freely shared, and perfected as one goes about their daily lives. Results may vary. ;])

I only practice for holistic benefits as no one won't be able to take their religion with them when one dies , so it's primarily a pointless endeavor past its present holistic value and used while one is still alive.

After that will be for the land to 'decide'.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The OP has nothing to do with proselytizing. It has to do with what kind of impression your participation here might leave on a seeker that has an interest in your faith.
Oh, I reread it and it seems to me it has everything to do with proselytizing and nothing else. Oh well. I've had people reach out to me over the years occasionally but my version is always the same - that my faith works for me, period. If it works for others, great. Once we get past that issue, I can and will discuss different aspects of my faith.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

No idea.

No, I do not.

It is my opinion that everyone "sets an example" for their particular beliefs.
Now whether I set a good example or bad example...
I have no idea.
Though I would hazard a guess that there will be those who say I set a good example and those who say I set a bad example.

Yes and no.

There are certain members I would not want to spend eternity listening to, that is for sure.
Some of them are atheists, some Muslim, Some Christian, Some Bahai', and on and on.

But they are individuals I would not want to spend eternity listening to...
And they are from all manner of backgrounds, groups, etc.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I hope I've managed okay, at least to the point of neutrality, and not negatively. But it's not my opinion that counts, it's that of others. I think that's true for this question in general. But yes, I've certainly witnessed certain personalities making their religion look bad (in my eyes) and others who represented their faiths really well.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, I reread it and it seems to me it has everything to do with proselytizing and nothing else.
Interesting. How would you suggest I reword this to make it clear that it is not about proselytizing, but merely about how a seeker might perceive a religion based on individual contributions on the forum?

anna.

but mostly it's the same

I rarely talk about my religious beliefs because I'm not looking for anyone to reinforce or dismantle them. They just are what they are, on a good day and on a bad day. Sometimes I've mentioned that I have doubts, or have questions, but then the replies don't satisfy and I figure that's okay. Once in a while I'll correct obvious misinformation posted about my religion, because I know as much or more than most laypersons on the subject.

As for setting an example... I try to be a decent person. Not as a conscious advertisement for my religion, but because it's how I want to live my life. Frequently I fall short, and sometimes I fail spectacularly far down the hill of my intentions. :neutral:

My aversion would be to hypocrisy. I guess that's the human condition, though.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh well. I've had people reach out to me over the years occasionally but my version is always the same - that my faith works for me, period. If it works for others, great. Once we get past that issue, I can and will discuss different aspects of my faith.
I think you are still misunderstanding the intent of the OP. This isn't about the impression you make on those with which you interact, but the impression you make on a reader who is not participating on the forum...an outside seeker.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I give a firm yes, and a firm no.

The world is filled with many different kinds of people. What may draw in one will repel another.

Its entirely possible I've both attracted and repelled people from my views.