• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Martial Arts

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
What martial art would you join? Are some better than others? Do you have any experience in the area of martial arts?

I might be joining a martial art, but, I don't know which one.

cfer

My choice would be aikido. I like the more circular motions that it has as well as the notion of ki, which relates to chi. Also, aikido is purely defensive; the whole concept of aikido is taking an attaker's energy and redirecting it so he won't hurt you or anyone else. While kendo is the art of the samurai, aikido is a close second but deals more with empty-hand defense (you're not always going to have a sword now, are you?).

The other style I would choose would be any form of kung fu. Again, more circular than linear techniques are employed, which is really nice. It just feels much more graceful than others (if that's important to you.)

The thing you have to ask yourself is what are you planning to achieve with martial arts? Fitness? Self-defense? Something social to do? Aikido wouldn't be the most effective if you're trying to lose weight or maintain a certain level of fitness. Then I'd go for something more like tae kwon do.

I've tried 3 different kinds of martial arts in my life, and the most fun and effective (for me and my body type) was aikido. If it was offered where I live, I would definitely take it up again! (I wish Tai Chi was offered around here, too. They're all just various forms of tae kwon do and karate, which I'm not as interested in.)

Good luck with your decision!

robtex

Veteran Member
Druidus it will depend on your interest in the arts. Common interests include

1) socialblity: A group who interacts and uses martial arts as their medium
2) health and wellness. A school that puts a high emphasis on physical and/or mental health
3) historical /traditional perspective: schools that pay homage to the cultures and traditions of the arts orignial country
4) self defense
5) sport competition.

Most schools will focus on those areas and maybe a few more in varying degrees. What you need to do is find your personal priorites and find a list of schools with matching priorties to narrow it down. And each will have its own subset of things to analyize.

For instance if you choose sport fighting (competition) will you be more apt a kick-punch sport fighting or wresting. If kick punch how much contact? a little a lot?

if self defense will need to priortize weapons, grapping and concussive (striking) techniques.

If health and wellness how much is mental and spirtual and how much is physical and what is a balance that is right for you.

To further complicate matters most schools will be diverse and focus on multiple areas like a certain percentage on self defense, some on sport and some on wellnes.

Within that context there will be commerical and non commerical schools. A commerical school is one where the instructor makes his bread and butter from the school. That teacher will likely not another full time job (mabye part time) and will be avaiable much of the time for instruction. Those type of schools sometimes offer insurance through tuition. they tend to cost just a little more money. The other is non commerical which still charges but the teacher either breaks even or makes just a little bit and aguments the income with a regular job. Avaliablty is less but prices are lower.

Give us some feedback on what you are looking for and than we will have a narrow focus on chew on. Tell us what your interest is in this activity and what you hope to gain from it.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Fun mainly, but eventually, better reflexes, agility, dexterity, and strength, with possibilities of going into tournaments, with entries from different martial arts (this means I need to learn to defend from different styles, not just the style of the one I choose).

I've heard good things about Muay Thai, Jujuitsu, and, though I can't remember the name, the martial art that the Israeli Armed Forces uses.

Also, my build, I'm what would be considered "overweight", although not obese. I'm blocky, built thick, and strong, but I'm not very wiry, or fast moving. I can run fast, but I'll lose any test of long term running endurance, though sprints I'll have a chance at. That's partly why I'd like martial arts, because I could increase my agility and endurance.

cfer

I believe the Israeli martial art is called Krav Magat, or something along those lines.

robtex

Veteran Member
cfer said:
i. Also, aikido is purely defensive; the whole concept of aikido is taking an attaker's energy and redirecting it so he won't hurt you or anyone else.
HA! HA! says you!! I studied aikido for four years and got introduced into it after coming off of three years of tae kwon do. I use to throw leg kicks and than try a wrist lock when they put their hands out or fake a jab while shuffling to the left (left hand jab) and when their arm went up drove in with irimi ikkyo all the time.

But yeah there is a lot of love peace and harmony in the aikido camp.

cfer

Well, all I know is that when I studied it, I asked the sensei if there were any kicks or punches and I received the answer that there were a total of 3 "utemi" or strikes. They're supposed to be used to stun the attacker so you can perform some other move.

Of course aikido can hurt an attacker! It's still a combat art! It's all locks and holds. If you take a wrist lock one step further, you break the attacker's wrist. There are also holds where you could easily dislocate a shoulder, break the elbow and wrist, all at once. But, the smart, responsible practicioner will be more apt to just neutralize a situation than cause the attacker any pain.

That's the philosophy we were taught, at least.

Master Vigil

Some really good answers!!! Robtex really knows his stuff :D. Ummm... I will echo what he says, it is really up to you. While I particularly don't like Tae Kwon Do since its more sport than art, they focus ALOT on competition.

Korean Styles... I love the traditional korean arts, tang soo do, soo bahk do, hwarang do, hap ki do, etc... But not the sport ones, I just don't see much in them. By your stature, I would suggest either tang soo do, or hap ki do out of the korean styles. Tang soo do you can compete in though, hap ki do there aren't that many.

Japanese styles... karate is a pretty hard martial art. Hard as in the strikes are very strong and not very fluid. Aikido is very fluid, can be seen as a peaceful art, but that I feel is a ploy to get people to join :D. Judo, and Ju Jutsu would be wonderful for your build, and much competition. But is a grappling art, not a striking art. Ninjutsu I studied, very difficult. They combine striking and grappling arts as well as many weapons. Wonderful art if you can find a place. But no tournaments (that I know of.) Kenpo, which is like karate but a little more modern. Again, some tournaments, not many. (don't get kenpo confused with kempo, kempo is an american martial art.)

Chinese arts... Kung fu (MANY styles to choose from). Over all very very old, wonderful styles. I have never met someone who studied kung fu who wasn't good. It is very hard, takes lots of discipline, lots of patience, etc... I knew one guy who took 2 years to get a form right. That is discipline. Wushu is almost identical to kung fu, but a little more fanciful. There are many wushu tournaments. There are the soft arts of china like Tai Chi Chuan.

Than there are many other martial arts like Cuong Nu (Vietnamese, Like karate and tang soo do), Capoeira (Brazilian, like a dance, and very acrobatic), Kick boxing (american and muay tai versions, LOTS OF COMEPTITION, but little tradition. Except for muay tai), Jeet Kune Do (bruce lees martial art, not as popular these days) Krav Maga (the israeli art you were talking about, pretty much took over for jeet kune do in military training.) And there are MANY MANY more.

I would suggest looking in your phone book, finding the schools around you, and I will research them for ya.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I have practiced Judo since I was seven. For twenty three years I have practiced it and I love it. A great workout for your body and wonderful friends are made. You also have the option of going into competition if you like. Judo is practiced in many, many places and it should be relatively easy to find a place. If you are looking for more of a self defense martial art, then Judo may not be for you as it concerntrate on standing and ground grappling techniques, submissions (armbars and chokes) and putting your opponent on the ground by managing there momentum to your advantage. I have taken Kenpo Karate for five years and learned a form of Gracie Brazilian style Jiujitsu while in the military. Kenpo is very good for learning blows (hand, elbow, foot and knee) and it will also improve your dexterity, balance and speed. Gracie Jiujitsu is awesome and I would drop everthing to take it, but finding a place that teaches it is very difficult. Master Vigil makes some great suggestions too.

Master Vigil

I would think Judo is a wonderful self defense martial art. Much more than Tae Kwon Do. The fact that is is more of a grappling martial art, since most fights are exactly that.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I would think Judo is a wonderful self defense martial art. Much more than Tae Kwon Do. The fact that is is more of a grappling martial art, since most fights are exactly that.
If it were taught in its pure since, the way Master Kano did, I would most definitely agree with you. But most dojos teach it for competition, and that is much different than a real life fight. But you do make a great point.:)

Master Vigil

I understand your point as well. Like Tae Kwon Do, originally it was taken from all the Korean Kwans or schools and was originally a good self defense art. Now it is mostly competition and sport. I suppose it is the same with Judo. However, there are some Tae Kwon Do schools that are pretty traditional and still good for self defense, the moo duk kwan schools for one. I'm sure there are good judo schools as well. But the hard part would be finding out which ones.

robtex

Veteran Member
Druidus I tried to google your city and martial arts and came up empty. What schools do you have to choose from?

Before you join you should know
1) how long this person has studied martial arts and in particular the one he is teaching
2) what the main emphasis of the school is (self defense, sport fighing ect)
3) how long that school has existed

look at the students and try to get a feel for their level of profiency. I have personally seen a lot of school where the instructor was very skilled and all his students sucked. I have seen this more than once. i concluded that it was likey that while the teacher was skilled his ablity to transfer is knowledge to his students was lacking

look at the injuries in a school . a school with no injuries are where everbody is injured ins't a good sign. I once went to a judo school with 25 students and over 15 of them had ankle braces on. i am pretty sure that there was a safelty issue that could be addressed to cut back on that injury that was overlooked.

look at the instructors coordination level. one can bs all sorts of credentials to their accomplishments and time in the arts but they can't hide the level or coodination they have. it is a real easy way to figure out what their approximate skill level is in their study. i have never me a skilled martal artist who wasn't hyper coordinated and never met a novice who could fake coordination.

If you can tell us what you hope to gain in the arts again and what schools you have found up there in your area.

No*s

Captain Obvious
What are the benefits of the martial arts in the general sense? I'm somewhat ignorant over all :).

I saw several things listed, but it was contingent on a person's interests. Some benefits certainly transcend that lol.

Master Vigil

Basically No's. I would rather my kids take martial arts than go to any church. The respect, confidence, discipline, morals, physical fitness, attitude, spirit, drive, humility, etc... is amazing when the right martial art is studied. And the people are the nicest people I ever met. I think it has something to do with the fact that when you study martial arts, you are focusing on yourself. You aren't there to make other people better, your there to make yourself better. A white belt can't go up the instructor and try to teach him/her what is right.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Properly understood, so should a Church be about one's own salvation, and that can fall apart ;).

Seriously, though, thanks for the summary. I've never really gotten into them, though I've been tempted to a couple of times :).

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Not here. All we have here is karate, and judo. Basically, the Judo is run by people who don't know what they're doing, and the karate classes are for children. I'll be starting this in the summer, in P.E.I. I know it's a short time, but we might be moving down south soon anyway, and then the practice will be of benefit.

I'm in it, most of all, for fun. Secondly, I'm in it to increase discipline. Thirdly, agility, speed and endurance. Losing a bit of weight would be of benefit, but not the main issue. I don't really need it for self-defense, as I'm pretty sure that one-on-one, I could defeat most people in town here, and I can be intimidating when I need to. Of course, it I'm ever ganged up on, it would be nice to know a martial art. I know I'm not gonna become Tony Jaa overnight, but still... ;)

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Basically No's. I would rather my kids take martial arts than go to any church.
Or how about a church service that ends in a huge sparing match? You could name techniques after verses of scripture. Like, where Jesus walks on water could be a leg sweep. Or, Moses parting the Red Sea could be a double hand chop tot he neck. That would be interesting, but I am not sure it would fly with some of my fellow Christians.

robtex

Veteran Member
Druidus what led you to the conclusion that the judo people don't know what they are doing? What observations did you make to draw that conclusion ?

on the karate what style ? what is the name of the school? Do they practice on hard wood floors, or mats? Do they wear alot of protective equp and spar alot or do forms? what you have you seen and what did you like and not like about it?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
And then, "Revelations" would be where you turned into a massive, hulking, evil beast, and consumed everyone in the church, and then went off to fight with other massive, hulking, evil beasts!!!! :jiggy:

;) lol