• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mary as "Mother of God", Accurate or Borderline Blasphemy?

Mary, Mother of God?

• Total voters

Acim

Revelation all the time
Calling Jesus "the" (one and only) God is closer to actual blasphemy.

Relations to that understanding would be similar in blasphemous assertion, but are not the underlying error.

Me Myself

Back to my username
If the christian doctrine is correct, then God impregnated his own mother.:yes:

In any case I ignore of Mary existed, if she did, sure why not?! the mother of god. We are al god anyways, so every mother is the mother of god :)

EverChanging

Not in trinitarian thought, he didn't: the Holy Spirit overshadowed (impregnated) Mary, not Jesus, the Son of God.

Churches that affirm that Mary is the Mother of God, such as the Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Anglicans (and others) affirm that she is the mother of God the Son in that she took on that role for him and cared for him. She was the mother of his human essence, but not the origin of his deity. The origin of his deity (and that of the entire Trinity) is that of the Father himself.

Yet she did nurture and care for Jesus, and since Jesus is God in Trinitarian thought, she can rightfully be called Theotokos, the Mother of God.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Not in trinitarian thought, he didn't: the Holy Spirit overshadowed (impregnated) Mary, not Jesus, the Son of God.

Churches that affirm that Mary is the Mother of God, such as the Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Anglicans (and others) affirm that she is the mother of God the Son in that she took on that role for him and cared for him. She was the mother of his human essence, but not the origin of his deity. The origin of his deity (and that of the entire Trinity) is that of the Father himself.

Yet she did nurture and care for Jesus, and since Jesus is God in Trinitarian thought, she can rightfully be called Theotokos, the Mother of God.

This seems pretty accurate.

Me Myself

Back to my username

So you mean That the Holy-Spirit/God impregnated Mary so that Jesus/God may be born? (in a human form)

I see no difference.

God impregnated his mother :shrug:

Falcon

" Behold , a virgin shall conceive and bear a son , and his name shall be called 'Emmanuel' [ which means , God with us ]

EverChanging

So you mean That the Holy-Spirit/God impregnated Mary so that Jesus/God may be born? (in a human form)

I see no difference.

God impregnated his mother :shrug:

That is not the teaching of Trinitarians who affirm Mary as Mother of God. The Holy Spirit overshadowed and impregnated Mary, not Jesus, God the Son. Mary is not the Mother of the Holy Spirit. She is the Mother of Christ.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Calling Jesus "the" (one and only) God is closer to actual blasphemy.

Relations to that understanding would be similar in blasphemous assertion, but are not the underlying error.

It can't be called blasphemy because it is the Word of God.

Muffled

Jesus in me

In any case I ignore of Mary existed, if she did, sure why not?! the mother of god. We are al god anyways, so every mother is the mother of god :)

That is blasphemy. No human should ever equate himself with God.

horizon_mj1

Which do you think? Is calling Mary the Mother of God ok, or is it a no no?
In order for Mary to be "the Mother of God" this would mean she created the one in whom created everything? So then wouldn't this make her more supreme than God Himself? Sorry, but H@** No!!! She was nothing more than a vessel found to be "worthy" of the Virgin Birth. Does this make her special, yes, does this make her greater than God no. What is more valuable in life, tools used to fix something, or the object needing fixed; in this scenario, Mary was a tool used to get what needed to be done, done, important none the less for the job would not have been properly done if not for her. Her Divinity should be seen for what it is, she was worthy of God when others were not, He chose her to do His will therefore having a close personal relationship with her, but I honestly believe this was not the only time this has happened, just the first time people listened and documented properly so the Knowledge could go on.