• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

masturbation anyone?

gseeker

conflicted constantly
Actually, it never says that.

Really? I remember reading that and earlier I think you said it had something to do with the old testament. Of course we all know how much Christians like to twist and confuse the Jewish writings. As a matter of fact if I had a Friday off I would likely start my search for God at a Jewish temple. Conservative or reformed of course.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Really? I remember reading that and earlier I think you said it had something to do with the old testament. Of course we all know how much Christians like to twist and confuse the Jewish writings. As a matter of fact if I had a Friday off I would likely start my search for God at a Jewish temple. Conservative or reformed of course.

If you're talking about Onan (Genesis chapter 38), the sin isn't "spilling his seed", it's his deliberate refusal to impregnate his brother's widow in direct violation of the law, thus ending his brother's line.

And you don't have to make it on Friday; we have services on Saturday morning as well.

There is no rational, substantiated basis for the notion that masturbation is harmful. I don't understand why people in the modern world are still taking sex advice from ancient goat herders to begin with.
I have to agree. To borrow from the old Eric Clapton song, “it’s in the way that you use it”, as is the case with anything.

Of course, all the claims in the world over "spiritual" health are just that, claims.
My sense (and experience) is that it’s just the nature of the religious mindset in general to wax Victorian over anything that even suggests that sexuality is involved.

A thread on masturbation?
Don't we already have a thread started on RHP (right Hand Path).
:D

It is also a type of meditation. Just like more traditional forms of meditation, sexual activity tends to cut us off from the cares and worries f everyday life, it can focus and alter our state of mind. It can lead to feelings of transcendence, euphoria and/or connection with the universe, deity or whatever our philosophical or spiritual beliefs lead us to think exists alongside or beyond our normal reality.
This reminds me -- I think I had read somewhere that the ego is actually suppressed during climax. Perhaps this explains why it can enhance one’s sense of intimacy with the Divine (in instances where that’s the goal, of course). It can serve as the closest thing to experiencing being literally caught up in the arms of the Divine without having to physically die first. :)

-

Levite

Higher and Higher

No, I said there was no explicit prohibition in the Torah. The only prohibitions at all come from the Rabbis of the Talmud. Some of them-- not all of them-- choose to interpret certain passages in Torah as alluding to discouragement of the practice, but even in those cases, their support is allusory and homiletical: but there is nothing explicitly prohibiting it.

And by no means do all the Rabbis forbid it, or all the later authorities. It seems like many of the Rabbis discouraged the practice, but discouragement is not at all the same thing as forbidding.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
Makes sense, how ever I would hardly call masturbation a form of meditation, you'll have to explain that one.
There are many types of meditation. Some require special forms and patterns of breathing. Some require a lot of activity. Some require stillness of mind. Some require loosing yourself. Some require focusing on one thought or one part of the body to the exclusion of all else. Masturbation can also include all of these things.
Iridescence said it well...

This reminds me -- I think I had read somewhere that the ego is actually suppressed during climax. Perhaps this explains why it can enhance one’s sense of intimacy with the Divine (in instances where that’s the goal, of course). It can serve as the closest thing to experiencing being literally caught up in the arms of the Divine without having to physically die first. :)

-

As for it highlighting sexual desires a person has wouldn't you say that with enough sex and masturbation your sexual desires get stranger and strangers to to point that a person becomes too kinky?
Define too kinky? Seriously, anything you do in life can become obsessive or unhealthy if taken to extremes. Each person must take control of themselves and guard their boundaries wisely. Masturbation helps us to explore our tastes and fantasies (what is kinky to me may not be kinky to you and vice versa) but we retain our ability to stop and if we cross our own moral boundaries, that is our choice and we must take responsibility for the outcome.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on that after all I first became sexually active at age 8.
That seems very young indeed. I would guess that for most people it would be in their mid to late teens. I don't think humans can really cope physically, emotionally or intellectually with sex until their minds and bodies are sufficiently mature. I don't want to be judgemental, but perhaps your early exposure to sexual activity was harmful to you and the way you think about sex?

Either way I've always been taught that masturbation is evil so a meditative quality would be hard to find.
I think the idea that masturbation is evil is a sad aberration. I hope you come to see that it isn't evil and then perhaps the idea of it being potentially meditative will make more sense to you.

Also most religions seem to be against it and I can guess why satanist would say it is a good thing because isn't Satanism about physical fulfillment?
I am not sure that most religions are against it. In fact I think that maybe a very false idea.
Physical fulfilment is one aspect of Satanism, but it is certainly not the whole or even the main aspect of it.

Where is the spirituality in that or does Satanism believe that you achieve spiritual fulfillment through physical fulfillment? I'm afraid I don't know much about your faith or antifaith. My satanist friends didn't really talk much about what they believe.
Again, physical fulfilment maybe an aspect of spiritual fulfilment or development for some Satanists; but seldom more than an aspect. Just as terms like Christianity and Paganism cover a wide variety of beliefs, so there are many different types of Satanists and Satanism. Personally I wouldn't characterize my own beliefs as an anti-faith. Why not ask some general or specific questions about it in the Satanism section? Alternatively you are welcome to pm me, although I don't guarantee how quickly or well I will be able to reply.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The Bible is not silent on it.
The Bible says absolutely nothing about masturbation.
If you think it does, present the verses.

You aren't to spill your seed anywhere other than into your wife.
If you got this from the Onan story, you show a serious deficiency in reading comprehension.

I suspect that you are merely parroting what you have heard others claim.
Which is even worse, IMO

The new testament speaks against both fornication and lust. Fornication being anything other than sex with your wife and sex being self explanitory.
I have already asked that you present the verses that support your other claimed definition:
Actually the term fornication in Romans is inferred to include masturbation. I have Christian friends on Facebook basically screaming, beat your meat, burn in heat.
Really?
Would you please be so kind as to present the verse(s) that would support this claim?
Will you ignore this request to provide the verse(s) that support your new claimed definition?

jtartar

So how does masturbation line up in various religions. How do different religions approach that subject. Is it frowned upon only in Christianity and the Jewish faith. How can the various religions against it argue that its a sin while ignoring the major health benefits involved? If God is the Creator and since it involves so many health benefits didn't God invent it to provide health benefits?

gseeker,
Almost all religions recognize that masturbation shows a lack of respect for God's gift of procreation. Are you not showing disrespect to God???
The are sins that deserve death and sins that do not lead to death. It seems that this may not be one that leads to death, but I'm not sure, 1John 5:16,17. Masturbation surely is not the unforgivable sin, so it it bothers your conscience, STOP, Rom 14:22,23.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
gseeker,
Almost all religions recognize that masturbation shows a lack of respect for God's gift of procreation. Are you not showing disrespect to God???
The are sins that deserve death and sins that do not lead to death. It seems that this may not be one that leads to death, but I'm not sure, 1John 5:16,17. Masturbation surely is not the unforgivable sin, so it it bothers your conscience, STOP, Rom 14:22,23.
Yet not all people believe that their god is so petty...

gseeker

conflicted constantly
gseeker,

I would guess by your explanation the would also make oral, and anal sex out to be a sin too?

tempter

So how does masturbation line up in various religions. How do different religions approach that subject. Is it frowned upon only in Christianity and the Jewish faith. How can the various religions against it argue that its a sin while ignoring the major health benefits involved? If God is the Creator and since it involves so many health benefits didn't God invent it to provide health benefits?

in regards to christianity, it seems that anything that causes personal enjoyment without direct reference to the egocentric god is frowned upon. This includes 'punishing the bad monkey'.