• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matthew 16:17-19

roger1440

I do stuff
Roger, The Purpose of the Gospels is stipulated by Luke 1:1-4, "Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us, Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word; It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus, That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed."
Are you telling me to know what the purpose of Mathew, Mark and John is, one must read Luke 1:1-4 ?

Last edited:

sincerly

Are you telling me to know what the purpose of Mathew, Mark and John is, one must read Luke 1:1-4 ?

NO! All the writings of the NT are concerning the fulfillment of the Prophecies of the OT and how Jesus Christ came did just that.
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were those life and teachings of how Jesus fulfilled that Mission of salvation of the Human race.

Didn't you write:
The purpose of the canonical Gospels is to inaugurate the New Covenant.
?

The "foundation of the Church"/"Cornerstone of the Church" IS Jesus Christ. The "new covenant" is the "compact"/testament/agreement that is made between GOD and HIS People and is the "Laws"(Decalogue) which is written in the hearts and minds of the Redeemed people.

roger1440

I do stuff
NO! All the writings of the NT are concerning the fulfillment of the Prophecies of the OT and how Jesus Christ came did just that.
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were those life and teachings of how Jesus fulfilled that Mission of salvation of the Human race.

Didn't you write: ?

The "foundation of the Church"/"Cornerstone of the Church" IS Jesus Christ. The "new covenant" is the "compact"/testament/agreement that is made between GOD and HIS People and is the "Laws"(Decalogue) which is written in the hearts and minds of the Redeemed people.
How does Jesus Christ fit into Jeremiah’s New Covenant? Jews around the planet for the last 2000 years want to know that one too. According to Jeremiah, “No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man or his brother.” Jesus is dead. It’s a given, he isn’t going to tap someone on the shoulder and say, “Follow me.”

vskipper

How does Jesus Christ fit into Jeremiah’s New Covenant? Jews around the planet for the last 2000 years want to know that one too. According to Jeremiah, “No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man or his brother.” Jesus is dead. It’s a given, he isn’t going to tap someone on the shoulder and say, “Follow me.”

No but the Holy Spirit might

sincerly

Originally Posted by sincerly View Post

Didn't you write?:
The purpose of the canonical Gospels is to inaugurate the New Covenant.

Roger, Hebrews, as a whole, answers that. But, Chapters 8:1-10:39 testifies that the whole of the Sacrificial System was NOT about atoning for Sins by the blood of bulls and goats, but by the promised "Seed of the Woman" seen in the prophesied Gen.3:15.
That "Seed" took the place of those "patterned after" "bulls and goats" whose blood could NOT satisfy the death penalty imposed upon the human being. The animal sacrifices were only for "the then time present"---"until the time of reformation". "In the fullness of time" Jesus Christ "came to fulfill" those Sacrificial laws and the new covenant was ratified by HIS shed blood for the Redemption/Atonement of sinful mankind.

Jesus gave the Gospel commission to "Go and teach" until the end of the world. Those who are Redeemed at that end will all have the "new Covenant" written in their "hearts and minds".

Last edited:

bird

Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[c] will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[e] loosed in heaven.”
It is the God-given revelation that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God, that is a rock that Hades cannot overcome. In fact, Christ himself is called a rock in the Bible: "He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he" (Deu 32:4). Notice that the true believer Peter is given the ability from that point on to bind and loose. This is because during the church age Satan is bound in the sense that he cannot deceive those who have been given the spirit. They believe in God and their savior despite Satan: "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,". This is speaking of the church age.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The passage does have to do with "who has the authority," or "what's the foundation," but that authority and foundation isn't placed upon any person -- Peter or Jesus. Rather, it's placed upon the faith that reveals Jesus as the Christ.

the main thrust of Matthew's gospel is to establish his displaced Judaic-Christian community as the "true Israel." IOW, the "lineage" of God's people wasn't passed through bloodlines, but through who kept the Covenant. Matthew's thesis is that the Judaic Establishment has not faithfully kept that Covenant, and so God has turned it over to those of whom Jesus spoke in the sermon on the mount: the poor, the hungry, the persecuted, the peacemakers. IOW, the community of Anointed-believers.

When Matthew writes this exchange, it begins with Jesus asking, "Who do people say I am?" The disciples posit that the people think Jesus is either Moses, or Elijah, or one of the prophets. (These figures were all seen as the authoritative torch-bearers for Israel). Then Jesus asks, "But who do you say I am?" (the disciples, according to Matthew, are the first forebears of the True Israel). Peter (the leader) speaks up and makes the "Great Confession." And it is that Great Confession of Jesus as the Anointed One that is the Rock upon which Jesus forms his community of the True Israel. True Israel recognizes -- not the prophets of the Old Covenant, but Jesus, who establishes a New Covenant between God and God's people.

Sultan Of Swing

The Catholic church frequently argues that this is proof of the papacy and establishment of the Catholic church. But, I know that there are other arguments. So, I eagerly wait to hear them.:D
Let's assume that Peter truly is the rock upon which the Church is built.

Even if this is the case, it still does not lead to Catholicism. Peter may very well have been the leader of the early church, and a foundation in a sense, but there is no hint from this Scripture that his "rock"-ness would transfer over to a successor, and that this would establish a Papacy that would transfer from successor to successor for the rest of time. It does not say "Peter and his successors are the rock of the Church", it just says Peter.