• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meaning or Happiness? Which Would You Pick?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just to clarify, my argument wasn't that meaning and happiness must always be together. It appears self-evident that someone could have any combination of meaning and happiness, and the study supports this.

My argument was against this idea that happiness always correlates to selfish behavior and meaning always correlates to unselfish behavior.
Then you're argument is against something that doesn't exist in the articles or study, because the articles and study don't define happiness as being selfish and don't say that it always correlates to selfish behavior.

This is how the article described the questions for happiness:
Happiness was defined, as in the earlier study, by feeling good. The researchers measured happiness by asking subjects questions like “How often did you feel happy?” “How often did you feel interested in life?” and “How often did you feel satisfied?” The more strongly people endorsed these measures of “hedonic well-being,” or pleasure, the higher they scored on happiness.

There's no moral judgment there, and nothing inherently selfish. Many people in the study that contribute to others, report meaning for themselves, and also report happiness.

The only thing that's correlated with selfish behavior is people that were found report happiness but no meaning. Their reported actions were generally about the self.

In other words, as you wrote in a previous post, the question in the OP, and my beef with study, boils down to this sort of question:

I don't think the giver/taker part should inherently be linked to the happiness/meaning dichotomy. I think this is evidenced by the fact that people do feel happy when they do charitable work or that people can find a sense of purpose in their own personal betterment.
The giver/taker part was only linked to the happiness/meaning dichotomy because those are the results of the study. People that reported a lot of meaning tended to be givers. Some people reported happiness and meaning tended to be givers- happiness and meaning were moderately positively correlated. But, people that reported happiness but little meaning, were found to have activities that center on the self. I know people like that in real life, it's easy to think of examples.

They largely let people define their own meaning, but questions were like “How often did you feel that your life has a sense of direction or meaning to it?”, “How often did you feel that you had something to contribute to society?” and “How often did you feel that you belonged to a community/social group?”

chinu

chinu
Suppose if one is choosing "Meaning and purpose" from these two options, and again that person is asked to tell the reason for choosing this.

Than what would be the answer, can anybody tell ? :)

But, am sure the answer would be "To be happy in life", If this would not be the answer, than what would be the answer ? :)