• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medicare-For-All

esmith

Veteran Member
I keep hearing about Medicare-for-all and given the following facts have a question.

Let’s start off with some facts. Note all of the below refers to Part B not Part A
Medicare Premiums per person for 2019 Source
Premiums are between $135.00 and $460.50 in 6 income brackets.
Therefore let’s assume that a family of 4 making less than $170,000 would be paying $135.00 per person for a total of $540.00 based on the current premiums forgetting that these premiums are based on the governments income on past and present FICA Medicare taxes.

Now we will forget the annual ($185) deductable part.
Now under the current Medicare you are responsible for 20% of the Medicare-approved amount.
Medicare does not pay for most dental procedures
Medicare does not pay for most optical procedures.
Medicare does not pay for annual “physicals”, only a “wellness” visit that keeps track of your health
Medicare does not pay for prescriptions. Part D does for additional $35 a month

Now given that what would you expect to pay for a Medicare-for-all plan per person?

esmith

Veteran Member
Isn't there already a thread with this debate going on in it?
Not to this extent and do you have a problem with a thread that list the facts and points out what Medicare is?

Oh, I forgot to add:
One would have to find a provider that even takes Medicare at all, or one that is accepting new patients.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
Nope. Not for the individual cost of the plan.

Oh, I forgot to add:
One would have to find a provider that even takes Medicare at all, or one that is accepting new patients.

In a single player healthcare system where private insurance is all but replaced, all providers would either take it or go out of business.

youknowme

I keep hearing about Medicare-for-all and given the following facts have a question.

Let’s start off with some facts. Note all of the below refers to Part B not Part A
Therefore let’s assume that a family of 4 making less than $170,000 would be paying $135.00 per person for a total of $540.00 based on the current premiums forgetting that these premiums are based on the governments income on past and present FICA Medicare taxes.

Now under the current Medicare you are responsible for 20% of the Medicare-approved amount.
Medicare does not pay for annual “physicals”, only a “wellness” visit that keeps track of your health

Now given that what would you expect to pay for a Medicare-for-all plan per person?

I don't think you are grasping that this would be a total overhaul of the healthcare system.

esmith

Veteran Member
In a single player healthcare system where private insurance is all but replaced, all providers would either take it or go out of business.
Look at your other countries, they still have private insurance companies.
No, a provider would not have to accept Medicare, they could rely on those that have private insurance.
In addition nothing says a provider has to take on new patients if they do not have the "room" for them.
Take a look at dental offices that say they are not taking on new patients.

esmith

Veteran Member
I don't think you are grasping that this would be a total overhaul of the healthcare system.
Money is money. It has to come from somewhere. It just doesn't grow on trees. Well I take that back, it seem that there are some Democrats that think it does.

Curious George

Veteran Member

That is about what I would expect a family of 4 to pay. If you make under a certain amount state medical usually serves as your secondary. A family of 4 who makes more than the qualifying amount would likely have to pick up a private insurance for a secondary. Hopefully, Medicare would switch to also cover preventative care which would of course cover routine check-ups.

Most insurance plans are already separate as far as dental and medical. So people would still need to maintain separate dental insurance. Vision is also a separate plan from most medical insurance, but is fairly cheap.

I am not a hige fan of medicare in general, so I would hope to see changes to medicare. However, if the majority of America (including congress) were only provided medicare coverage, I imagine we would see some significant changes in medicare coverage. I get that medicare is not the best coverage and a person often needs secondary coverage. Further, I think that allowing government access to our healthcare records is not the best choice. But, if the people want a universal sustem, what is the problem? Hopefully it is well thought out. Hopefully it brings positive changes to our current medicare system. And, Hopefully the net cost is less than our current system.

That said, I do not think that such will be the case. But what you are seeing is a something has got to give mentality. A healthier nation benefits our country. People are pushimg for that. I am more concerned that people want to push against workimg toward a healthier nation imstead of fimding the best method of achieving a healthier populace.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Not to this extent and do you have a problem with a thread that list the facts and points out what Medicare is?

Oh, I forgot to add:
With as big of a shift as we are discussing most providers would be forced to take on medicare patients. This would increase the accessibility to care for current medicare patients. That sounds like a plus to me.

youknowme

Money is money. It has to come from somewhere. It just doesn't grow on trees. Well I take that back, it seem that there are some Democrats that think it does.

I don't buy for a second that you have the needed education to do a cost analysis here.

youknowme

• NHE grew 3.9% to $3.5 trillion in 2017, or $10,739 per person, and accounted for 17.9% of Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
  • Under current law, national health spending is projected to grow at an average rate of 5.5 percent per year for 2017-26 and to reach $5.7 trillion by 2026. While this projected average annual growth rate is more modest than that of 7.3 percent observed over the longer-term history prior to the recession (1990-2007), it is more rapid than has been experienced 2008-16 (4.2 percent).

NHE Fact Sheet - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services

We need a better system.

esmith

Veteran Member
I don't buy for a second that you have the needed education to do a cost analysis here.
I'm just asking if you are willing to pay what I'm paying for and getting just what I'm getting. Also you say healthcare would be overhauled. Do you think the cost of procedures would be lowered in the "overhaul".

dianaiad

Actually, 'go out of business' is the only answer.

OK....I am not going to give anybody statistics here, just very personal experience.

I lived for a year and a half in England, where I watched what a young Englishman had to go through to get his deviated septum fixed. Mind you, he was nineteen years old and had literally spent most of his life sleeping sitting up. He could NOT lie down, or he could not breathe. Perfectly healthy, very athletic and fit (as long as none of his exercising was done in a prone position). He had been waiting for three years to get this simple out patient procedure OK'd....

One day he was knocked off his bicycle onto his back, and even though there were no injuries, he nearly died. His church stepped in and paid for the procedure. He was in business in less than a week.

National health care.

Several years ago (about 12)...a friend of mine and I were going through the same problems with our knees, and were both told we needed knee replacements. We were also both told that the sooner those operations were done, the better the results and the more range of motion we would have. I had Kaiser Permanente ...which is an HMO and at the time was really hard to get stuff qualified through. She is Canadian. It took me six months to get my knee replacement authorized and done, and three years later I had the other one done. If I'd had private insurance with my choice of physician, I'm told I would have had them both done within three months of being told I needed the one done.

I have a better range of motion in both knees than many people who haven't had replacements; I can, and do, sit fully cross-legged on the floor, quite often. My Canadian friend?

Had to wait for six years to get her first knee done and is still waiting for authorization for the second. She's lucky she can bend her knee far enough to sit in a chair at all.

I have Multiple Myeloma. It's a very expensive cancer to treat, and I have had two, count 'em, TWO, bone marrow transplants through this US based HMO in the six years since I was diagnosed. I belong to a group that has members from many different nations who have nationalized health care....

Nationalized health care is not popular among those who really need health care.

Just thought I'd drop that one in the mix.

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
How about you highlight the part you thinks proves whatever it is you are trying to prove.

OK from the link provided (added at latter time)Where Did The Idea Of Obamacare Come From? A Defense Of The Heritage Foundation
What is Obamacare? If you sift through the hundreds of pages of legislation, the thousands of pages of regulations and all of the ridiculous complexity, you will find that Obamacare in its essence is a bastardized form of what health economists call “managed competition.
So what is managed competition? There are three elements:

• Insurers compete for enrollees, but must charge community rated premiums (no discrimination based on health status).
  • There are strict limits on who can buy and when they can buy and the buyers usually receive a hefty premium subsidy from a third party (employer or government).
  • There is a manager (employer, government or insurance company) that is responsible for regulating the market."

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
What are you trying to prove relative to the post of mine you qouted?
What subject matter did the "experts" contribute to Obamacare...
Answer: Bean Counting.

Oh by the way you still haven't answered my question:
I'm just asking if you are willing to pay what I'm paying for and getting just what I'm getting. Also you say healthcare would be overhauled. Do you think the cost of procedures would be lowered in the "overhaul".