• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation: Eyes Open or Closed?

The Rev

I've always meditated with my eyes closed, but all of the Buddha statues I've ever seen show him with his eyes slightly open. Which way do you meditate, and why so? Thanks.
:namaste

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
It depends on the school really. In soto zen, you leave your eyes open and face a wall so that you dont get sleepy and there is nothing to look at. In rinzai zen, they face the room and im pretty sure they close their eyes.

Really I think it doesnt make a huge difference. The main thing being that having your eyes closed can induce sleepiness. Many traditions use half closed eyes because it blocks out visual stimulation, but allows light in and prevents one from falling asleep. Also, I think it depends on the practice. If you are doing a visualization meditation, then it would be better to have eyes closed I imagine.
In Dzogchen, one usually keeps their eyes half closed, but there is a technique that involves opening the eyes very wide also.

My point is, it varies with what is being practiced :D

Likewise, I vary too, but usualyl open or half open eyes for me.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Most of the tijmes I like them closed but I felt some kind of bigger peace when opened.

I don´t know if it is because I tend to be alone with my inner demons when they are closed :eek:

But this changed after I played being blindfolded for a week (I called it the long wink :D ) .. Now my closed eyes meditation can be much better than open eyes :).

Ultimately, whatever works for you, whatever makes your eyes feel unestressed I would think.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I've always meditated with my eyes closed, but all of the Buddha statues I've ever seen show him with his eyes slightly open. Which way do you meditate, and why so? Thanks.
I always read eyes open is preferable; I was taught by my lama to meditate with my eyes half-open, but unfocused.

Although I always, and still do, prefer closed. I think it's because of blinking and such with open eyes, and I don't want any distractions, be they visual or bodily (wanting to blink and stuff).

Have you ever tried meditating with them open? How did you feel?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Normally, eyes closed, however I certainly can simply fade the world out by changing my focus. When I am "seeing" something, whatever, I will often 1/2 close my eyes and gaze through it... it's hard to describe.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I can only meditate with eyes open in very specific environments (ones with low interference and brightness). Mostly it's closed.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Slightly open and cast downward toward the floor (or wall) making sure there are no features causing distraction in your field of vision that could affect focus. Keeping eyes open helps prevent you from falling asleep and losing your posture.

Who wants to go suddenly limp and snore during Zazen sessions? A good teacher might just leave you there and you can simply wake up in an empty room. ;O)

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I guess it depends on what kind of meditation you're doing. For most part mine are about visualising so eyes closed is much easier. Also I get distracted easily, having my eyes opened would just make me want to look around and wonder what time it is and such...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Both. To get focussed, I often concentrate on a single point, like the face of a murthi, or a flame. Once concentrated like that, I can shut the eyes. But one of the points is to remain still, body, and mind. My mind wanders more with eyes closed.

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
I usually meditate with my eyes open unless I'm choosing to deal with personal ****.

Personally, my practice involves bringing meditation to every action and every moment, so I meditate with my eyes open to make my sitting practice less of a "special place" that's set aside for meditation. I don't want to lock harmony in a seated, closed-eye box, ya know? I want the distance from my seated meditation to my peeling potatoes to be minimal.

The Rev

I always read eyes open is preferable; I was taught by my lama to meditate with my eyes half-open, but unfocused.

Although I always, and still do, prefer closed. I think it's because of blinking and such with open eyes, and I don't want any distractions, be they visual or bodily (wanting to blink and stuff).

Have you ever tried meditating with them open? How did you feel?

I've never really tried it seriously. I have been meditating, and my eyes just sort of open on their own, and I have tried sticking with the method with them open, but it starts to feel weird so I generally close them again. I will have to try it eyes open from the beginning one time and just see how it works out if I give it an honest try.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
... but it starts to feel weird so I generally close them again. I will have to try it eyes open from the beginning one time and just see how it works out if I give it an honest try.

In meditation, when something feels weird, often times its good to open yourself up to the feeling and just experience it. Meditation isn't for avoiding undesirable experiences to find a few moments peace. If it were, it would serve no purpose expect to relax.

EDIT: Im not saying that this is what you're saying, im just saying :D

The Rev

In meditation, when something feels weird, often times its good to open yourself up to the feeling and just experience it. Meditation isn't for avoiding undesirable experiences to find a few moments peace. If it were, it would serve no purpose expect to relax.

EDIT: Im not saying that this is what you're saying, im just saying :D

That's a good point, actually. Something I've been trying to do more, especially in identifying the arising of Self. I probably should have said "distracting" instead of "weird" in my post; it's more what I meant.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Slightly open & unfocussed primarily. Certain specific meditation practices will call for closed or fully open eyes, but these are less commonly used forms for my tradition and school.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Slightly open & unfocussed primarily. Certain specific meditation practices will call for closed or fully open eyes, but these are less commonly used forms for my tradition and school.
I can't seem to do half-open; my eyes start wanting to open or close and I start, well, blinking (and develop a headache quite quickly). Did you ever have this? If so, what do you do to stop it?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I can't seem to do half-open; my eyes start wanting to open or close and I start, well, blinking (and develop a headache quite quickly). Did you ever have this? If so, what do you do to stop it?
By focusing on the backs of my eyelids, not on what is coming through the slight opening below. Takes some practice, but once you get the habit it's not a problem.

I have to be careful with closed eyes; I start to drift pretty quickly. Keeping them slightly open helps with that.