• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's Issues/Masculism DIR

Should we have a Men's Issues DIR?

• Yes

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does anyone have any examples about men's interests threads that were repeatedly derailed and therefore require a special subforum?

To me it seems there wasn't much interest in this idea before the Feminist Only area was created. Are there threads on male rape, custody rights, domestic violence towards males, or other topics about masculinism and/or men's rights that were heavily derailed and require protection?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Does anyone have any examples about men's interests threads that were repeatedly derailed and therefore require a special subforum?

To me it seems there wasn't much interest in this idea before the Feminist Only area was created. Are there threads on male rape, custody rights, domestic violence towards males, or other topics about masculinism and/or men's rights that were heavily derailed and require protection?

I would assume the benefit of having the directory would be to access male perspective issues, and male rights resources and information in a one stop directory. Do the issues need to be detailed or pervade the boards before a separate category is formed. I understand the impetus for creating a female directory but would those conditions that led to the creation of a feminist directory need to be present in order to create a male rights activist, or masculism, or masculinities directory?

Shermana

Heretic
Purple is girly. I vote Gold, thats a man's colour (being colour blind this whole fascination everyone has with colour coding things is annoying lol)

It is somewhat amusing to note the amount of discourse this has generated.

Personally I do not see a need for one - but then again tbh I do not see a need for a feminist one either provided that the rules of RF are followed (and enforced) to begin with there shouldn't be a problem posting ALL of these feminist or masculinist in the human affairs or other boards where applicable. But, since there was apparently deemed a need for a feminism DIR (most likely due to interlopers in other threads where either the rules were not being followed and should have been enforced or else they were, but were considered insufficient by those who wanted to talk about feminism without said interlopers) - i wonder, were the numbers tallied of those who had agreed with the need for (or even merely the warrant for) a masculinist board, whether or not it would compare with the numbers who had proposed the feminist forum... I get the sneaking suspicion that it would. On the other hand, I do not recall having the option to vote against a Feminism DIR; perhaps I was merely away at that time.

Though I do not believe either is necessary provided we actually obey the rules of RF; if one is warranted than so is the other - otherwise (oh so ironically) is to engage in gender based discrimination.

Personally I doubt it would get much use.

First off, Purple ain't girly! Pinkish purple maybe. But when I rock a Purple button-down at the parties, the ladies like!

Who cares if a men's issues board gets much use? Where else are we gonna bash on Feminism?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

Uh, this one...? :D

It would be nice to have a place to discuss these issues where those discussing them are not labeled as anti-feminists or feminist bashers in every other post.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I would assume the benefit of having the directory would be to access male perspective issues, and male rights resources and information in a one stop directory. Do the issues need to be detailed or pervade the boards before a separate category is formed. I understand the impetus for creating a female directory but would those conditions that led to the creation of a feminist directory need to be present in order to create a male rights activist, or masculism, or masculinities directory?
I'm not implying that this is a necessary condition for the subforum. Generally, subforums are created when there is a good need for them. Examples of need would be relevant.

I'm just asking for examples where threads on men's rights or men's interests have been majorly derailed, in that they would have been better in a protected subforum. Alternatively if you have examples of threads on male issues that didn't get enough posts due to being in a subforum where they weren't given enough attention, those examples would be useful too.

Uh, this one...? :D

It would be nice to have a place to discuss these issues where those discussing them are not labeled as anti-feminists or feminist bashers in every other post.
Can you provide a few examples of these sorts of threads that have occurred on the forum?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I honestly have a couple of examples of threads I wanted to do but had postponed.

One was about a TED talk talking about the gap between men and women in schools and highschools. I decided not to do it because I thought it may devolve into a poo flinging fight, and there were already some of those in other threads also talking about gender issues (which made me think thrice it may happen in such a new one)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I honestly have a couple of examples of threads I wanted to do but had postponed.

One was about a TED talk talking about the gap between men and women in schools and highschools. I decided not to do it because I thought it may devolve into a poo flinging fight, and there were already some of those in other threads also talking about gender issues (which made me think thrice it may happen in such a new one)
Do you have any examples of threads that were tried and failed by masculinists/mens rights advocates?

What thread examples led you to hesitate with your ideas?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Do you have any examples of threads that were tried and failed by masculinists/mens rights advocates?

Not that immidiately come to my mind. As I said, that is a thread I was interested in doing but people were to edgy then.

I ve noticed gender issues here seem to be a bit more clashing than religious ones. At least that has been my appreciation.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not that immidiately come to my mind. As I said, that is a thread I was interested in doing but people were to edgy then.

I ve noticed gender issues here seem to be a bit more clashing than religious ones. At least that has been my appreciation.
That's a fair observation but surely there must be some examples.

For a subforum to be created as protection, wouldn't it be useful to have some examples of threads that didn't work on the open forum?

Personally, what I'm mainly curious to see are example threads that meet the following two criteria:

-Threads that were about male issues, male rights, etc, that are shown to have been heavily derailed on the open forum, or otherwise did not work very well.
-Threads that were not about bashing feminism. (Because these would be rule 10 violations in a protected area.)

Draka

Wonder Woman
Subforums aren't just started out of some perceived need, but out of a call from members' desire. Much like it was put out to the members to ask if we were interested in having a subforum to discuss panentheism and pantheism. Those were shown interest in and those subforums were made due to that interest in them.

Perhaps there may not be a whole lot of derailed threads out three to spark need, but that doesn't mean there isn't desire. Just because something else sparked that desire doesn't make the desire any less real now. And there is obviously several votes of people interested in such a subforum. Over 25 active members for the creation of it. Certainly more than what post in some subforums already.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Subforums aren't just started out of some perceived need, but out of a call from members' desire. Much like it was put out to the members to ask if we were interested in having a subforum to discuss panentheism and pantheism. Those were shown interest in and those subforums were made due to that interest in them.

Perhaps there may not be a whole lot of derailed threads out thee to spark need, but that doesn't mean there isn't desire. Just because something else sparked that desire doesn't make the desire any less real now. And there is obviously several votes of people interested in such a subforum. Over 25 active members for the creation of it. Certainly more than what post in some subforums already.

How many times do I need to say Amish DIR? :D

Curious George

Veteran Member
I'm not implying that this is a necessary condition for the subforum. Generally, subforums are created when there is a good need for them. Examples of need would be relevant.

I'm just asking for examples where threads on men's rights or men's interests have been majorly derailed, in that they would have been better in a protected subforum. Alternatively if you have examples of threads on male issues that didn't get enough posts due to being in a subforum where they weren't given enough attention, those examples would be useful too.

Can you provide a few examples of these sorts of threads that have occurred on the forum?

no, no threads come to mind. I certainly understand the worries that the space would either sit empty or people would use the thread to attack feminism. However, I would assume the latter of these two would die out quickly enough in a sub directory opposed to a debate directory. That said, I guess I would hope that the directory would either bring in new members who wish to discuss these issues which masculinities studies or that it will encourage posting from current members which provoked thought. I understand the argument that the general debate and political debate provide this already, but from reading this thread there would be at least posts dealing with male issues from at least a few self identified feminists and other users. I cannot see, however, a valid reason not to give it a whirl. Is it that hard to delete if the directory only serves to confirm the worst fears espoused in this thread?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I agree I cant see much of a reason to not give it a whirl.

Stuff can be reported as and if necessary. If it becomes empty, it aint big deal either, again amish dir, messianic judaism, and a LOT of empty dirs that are still there for whenever someone wants to use them.

Its just another option.

Is there some sort of real big problem or technical hazard on doing a new dir?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

This is basically my mindset. There have been several times where I have seen topics on the web that I would have liked to make a thread about here but hesitated. And frankly, the responses in this very thread have made me grateful I did hesitate. The threads would have instantly devolved into mindless insults. A MRA DIR could go a long way in preventing this.

Me Myself

Back to my username
And frankly, the responses in this very thread have made me grateful I did hesitate..

I agree 300%

Wven before the feminist DIRs (thou little before) I did try to drop the subject of the name on threads that werent specifically about it as I saw I was derailing, and even then people insisted debating me about it even after I emphatically said I was sorry and wanted to leave that part of the topic out.

We just dont need such poo flinging going so madly by two sides who at the end of the day have the same goal and many times just differ on several hows and whys. It makes no sense to me.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

Perhaps there may not be a whole lot of derailed threads out three to spark need, but that doesn't mean there isn't desire. Just because something else sparked that desire doesn't make the desire any less real now. And there is obviously several votes of people interested in such a subforum. Over 25 active members for the creation of it. Certainly more than what post in some subforums already.
^This too. Is there an actual downside to creating a MRA DIR?

The worst thing that can happen that I can think of is it only gets occasional use. But even then, if the few threads that are started in it get meaningful responses, that could still be reason enough to make it.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
no, no threads come to mind. I certainly understand the worries that the space would either sit empty or people would use the thread to attack feminism. However, I would assume the latter of these two would die out quickly enough in a sub directory opposed to a debate directory. That said, I guess I would hope that the directory would either bring in new members who wish to discuss these issues which masculinities studies or that it will encourage posting from current members which provoked thought.
Subforums can indeed open some ideas for further threads. I'm just surprised that, as far as I can tell, there wasn't any written interest in one before a Feminist Only was created, which leads me to wonder if it's a purely reactionary interest or whether there is real interest in it.

Disregarding the fact that the Feminist Only subforum currently exists (to minimize letting that influence anyone's thinking), where on the forum, in your view, would a forum for men's interests be best placed, and what would be the ideal name? Any proponents for the subforum can answer this.

I understand the argument that the general debate and political debate provide this already, but from reading this thread there would be at least posts dealing with male issues from at least a few self identified feminists and other users.
I do think it's interesting that the genuine examples of serious threads about males were given by some self-identified feminists. Those threads can be created in any number of areas, currently. Have they been created by any masculinists or feminists?

I cannot see, however, a valid reason not to give it a whirl. Is it that hard to delete if the directory only serves to confirm the worst fears espoused in this thread?
No, it's not hard to delete from a technical point of view. Creating and subsequently deleting subforums would of course be less than optimal, though.

I'm not really posting in this thread as any sort of representation as an administrator. I'm just posting as a curious member, as part of the discussion, to clarify some of the requests or ideas.