• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

merit of religion= God?

A

angellous_evangellous

robtex said:
It has something to do with divinity because it was inspired by the belief in divinity. The question of the relationship of the two is quite subjective in nature, and for me I am still tinkering with the parameters of such.

Being inspired by belief in divinity is a rather optimistic outlook on the development of religions. Even if some religions develop because of belief in divinity, this does not mean that the divine is involved at all or exists.

It seems to me that * if * a religion were to actually develop because of belief in the divine, the religion is designed to evoke the divine to action based on the hope of divine existence.

Æsahættr

angellous_evangellous said:
The entire merit of a religion is its value on earth. Does it enrich our lives and make us better people? That's where the value of religion is. I see it as completely divorced from the divine as religion itself has nothing to do with divinity.

So do you think that truth is irrelevent; as long as something makes us happy then that's enough?

robtex

Veteran Member
Æsahættr said:
So do you think that truth is irrelevent; as long as something makes us happy then that's enough?

Just a footnote, the word truth is not anywhere in the qoute you just posted.

Æsahættr

robtex said:
Just a footnote, the word truth is not anywhere in the qoute you just posted.

It wasn't intended as any start to a strawman argument; when he said:
angellous_evangellous said:
Does it enrich our lives and make us better people? That's where the value of religion is.
that sounded to me like it was implying that truth was irrelevent, and I wanted to know if that was a correct inference on my part or not.