• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Metallic tasting food or drink products

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I typically stay away from all aluminum drinks and plastic is only good cold. After plastic is warmed up a bit it also gets a taste. I prefer glass but will drink plastic that's cold
I prefer aluminum (AL) because I know it will be recycled.
Most plastic, even the recyclable kind isn't.
BTW, raw AL ore takes far far more energy
to make new AL than does recycled AL.

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member
Glass is highly recyclable. It can always be melted and remade. Its heavy, so its harder to package things in. We probably should move that direction, because microplastic is getting everywhere and into everything. Its not the topic, but apparently 16 types of microplastics were found in 1980 during an excavation 7 meters deep in undisturbed soil. Somehow these things got down there, and the soil sample was kept and recently tested for plastics. If true this is very frightening.

Code:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969724000755?via%3Dihub

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Glass is highly recyclable. It can always be melted and remade. Its heavy, so its harder to package things in. We probably should move that direction, because microplastic is getting everywhere and into everything. Its not the topic, but apparently 16 types of microplastics were found in 1980 during an excavation 7 meters deep in undisturbed soil. Somehow these things got down there, and the soil sample was kept and recently tested for plastics. If true this is very frightening.

Code:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969724000755?via%3Dihub
Glass technology is also advancing rapidly,
& could offer cheaper more durable containers
that are just as easily recycled as current glass.
Maybe this product will hit the market...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I prefer aluminum (AL) because I know it will be recycled.
Most plastic, even the recyclable kind isn't.
BTW, raw AL ore takes far far more energy
to make new AL than does recycled AL.
I realize the AL is better for the planet, but not for my taste buds. We've banned plastic bags and straws, if people were really worried they would ban plastic bottles and just eat the cost of glass which is also recyclable.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I realize the AL is better for the planet, but not for my taste buds. We've banned plastic bags and straws, if people were really worried they would ban plastic bottles and just eat the cost of glass which is also recyclable.
It's as if we didn't live without plastic for hundreds of thousands of years and managed just fine.....

But it's in all our modern gear now, especially electronics, and is incredibly hard to replace, so I don't advocate no-plastic - just less.

We also have plastic eating microorganisms so I'm not really concerned.

Things evolve in line with their environment and quite quickly, like those animals at Chernobyl.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I never mix bacon & sardines.
That wouldn't be kosher.
Dad liked sardines. My brothers and I loved to guess how many were in each can. That's about where my sardine 'fun' ended. How do you eat them, straight up, on toast, in sandwiches, or in salads?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Dad liked sardines. My brothers and I loved to guess how many were in each can. That's about where my sardine 'fun' ended. How do you eat them, straight up, on toast, in sandwiches, or in salads?
I eat sardines packed in Louisiana hot sauce right out of the can.
Kippered herring usually out of the can, but sometimes I put it
on warm rice or farro.

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member
I eat sardines packed in Louisiana hot sauce right out of the can.
Kippered herring usually out of the can, but sometimes I put it
on warm rice or farro.
I have tried some of that. I prefer boneless if possible. Sardines often have lots of bones. Also the brand seems to matter a lot.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have tried some of that. I prefer boneless if possible. Sardines often have lots of bones. Also the brand seems to matter a lot.

I have to fillet them when the cats are having a sardine treat.

Easy to do, slice along the underside and remove the spine.

Also do it when we are joining the cats and having sardines (on toast) for lunch