• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Metaphorically or literally?

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
Are the stories in the Bible to be taken:
a) Literally
b) Metaphorically
c) Both
d) No one knows

Me Myself

Back to my username
Whichever of those that acomplishes to make you a more loving and accepting(that is better than tolerant) person

Draka

Wonder Woman
Metaphorically. Like any other mythology. One simply can't look at the entirety of the bible and honestly take every word literally, unless there is something seriously wrong with their cognitive abilities that is. So once that is realized one must deal with the idea that if all of it is not actual and literal fact, what makes is reasonable to believe that any of it is? And then, what parts are to be literal and which aren't? And who decides which is which?

The problem so many seem to come up against is that they don't seem to think that metaphor and allegory can have great meaning and that things must be literal to have meaning. That simply isn't true. In fact, a story can have much greater meaning as allegory and metaphor than as a literal occurrence. There is nothing wrong with myth, it's what you take from it that is important, and sometimes the importance is greater that you take it as what it means or personally says to you rather than that it actually happened.

Last edited:

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
So, if I understand the comments correctly, the Bible is more of a self-improvement book, whether or not it is factual is irrelevant as long as it makes you a better person. If this is the case, what make the Bible any different than any other self-improvement book on the market?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Metaphorically. Like any other mythology. One simply can't look at the entirety of the bible and honestly take every word literally, unless there is something seriously wrong with their cognitive abilities that is. So once that is realized one must deal with the idea that if all of it is not actual and literal fact, what makes is reasonable to believe that any of it is? And then, what parts are to be literal and which aren't? And who decides which is which?

The problem so many seem to come up against is that they don't seem to think that metaphor and allegory can have great meaning and that things must be literal to have meaning. That simply isn't true. In fact, a story can have much greater meaning as allegory and metaphor than as a literal occurrence. There is nothing wrong with myth, it's what you take from it that is important, and sometimes the importance is greater that you take it as what it means or personally says to you rather than that it actually happened.
This.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Being that I think the authors of the Bible believed exactly what they were writing, I'd say they are supposed to be literally but you are yourself so interpret however you'd like...

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
-Once it doesn't fit in with modern science- "THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE TAKEN METAPHORICALLY!"

A

angellous_evangellous

a) Literally
b) Metaphorically
c) Both
d) No one knows

(The identification of the metaphor is not the only non-literal literary means of interpretation.)

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe

So God may be a myth?

outhouse

Atheistically
a) Literally
b) Metaphorically
c) Both
d) No one knows

all of the above and allegorically.

different legends, fables, history, songs, poems, ect, ect all need to be viewed independantly

outhouse

Atheistically
So, if I understand the comments correctly, the Bible is more of a self-improvement book, whether or not it is factual is irrelevant as long as it makes you a better person. If this is the case, what make the Bible any different than any other self-improvement book on the market?

you really dont understand yet.

It is a improvement book BUT of epic porportion.

It has factual elements and non factual elements.

It has every style of composition and that to evolved over a thousand years.

Draka

Wonder Woman
So God may be a myth?

I think myths are used to try to convey ideas about different concepts of what "god" is. They speak of the unknown in languages meant to simplify our understanding. A yearning in humankind to express the knowledge present in all of us throughout the Collective Unconscious. Myths give that underlying feeling and knowledge life. It is up to us to interpret what they mean. We may never get it right, but doesn't mean we can't get close to the basic idea.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
a) Literally
b) Metaphorically
c) Both
d) No one knows

some are literal, some are metaphorical, some are parables, some are symbolic

you can determine which is which by the context.

Draka

Wonder Woman

If that were so then all Christians would agree on which ones are what. There wouldn't be so many denominations. Every denomination purports that they have the right answers on how to interpret the bible. That can't possibly be so. If the bible is that confusing that its own adherents can't agree on what it really means, then how can anyone truly claim they have it "right"?

waitasec

Veteran Member

really?
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
mt 19:21

literal
metaphorical
parable
or symbolic?

go...;)