• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Metaphorically or literally?

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
Believing in Santa Claus had rules.
(be good or you get a lump of coal)

Anything you decide to believe in, will have rules.

Science to have faith?.....is not one of those rules.

Obviously you are free to add whatever rules you want into a story. My point was that when writing make-believe, you are not bound by any laws. You are free to go with your story anywhere your imagination will take you. That is what I meant by the “no rules” statement.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Obviously you are free to add whatever rules you want into a story. My point was that when writing make-believe, you are not bound by any laws. You are free to go with your story anywhere your imagination will take you. That is what I meant by the “no rules” statement.

I could almost agree with you....almost.

There are rules to story telling.
A certain quality must be there, or the story simply won't have what it takes to be....a story.

The bible is of course one story after another...each with something to offer.
Some of them are very dry, and lengthy....very time consuming.
Others are quick, but not always read in the same 'light'.

Mixing metaphor and literal terms can make a story interesting.
But because the bible is also considered a guide book to life and living....
most participants place too much upon the writing ....rather than the meaning.

When a story lacks meaning....there's not much point to it.
And the bible can be read in so many ways.

For this topic thread, should we not be focusing on the technique of reading the book?...rather than affirming or denouncing the book.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I didn't know where else to put this. Originally I thought about it for another thread but this one seems more appropriate.

"31Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:

32Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof." ~ Matthew 13:31-32

My point in posting this is that the Bible can not be taken literally or, in this case, as if it were a scientific treatise. It can be taken as allegorical as this was always it's intent demonstrated in the provided verse. Even as a non-believer I can see this and get it's message.

(The coral root seed is the smallest.)

I don't take the Bible literally so there is no point in me scoffing at what may seem to be errors. It uses "creative license",so to speak, which is fine for me.

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
I could almost agree with you....almost.

There are rules to story telling.
A certain quality must be there, or the story simply won't have what it takes to be....a story.

The bible is of course one story after another...each with something to offer.
Some of them are very dry, and lengthy....very time consuming.
Others are quick, but not always read in the same 'light'.

Mixing metaphor and literal terms can make a story interesting.
But because the bible is also considered a guide book to life and living....
most participants place too much upon the writing ....rather than the meaning.

When a story lacks meaning....there's not much point to it.
And the bible can be read in so many ways.

For this topic thread, should we not be focusing on the technique of reading the book?...rather than affirming or denouncing the book.

I agree, there are mechanical and editorial rules that must be followed when telling a story, for instance you must have a vehicle to deliver your story, like words or sign language, without these things, it’s not a story. When I say no rules I am talking about the fact that physical laws no longer necessarily apply. In writing a story you are free to construct your own reality any way you like.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I agree, there are mechanical and editorial rules that must be followed when telling a story, for instance you must have a vehicle to deliver your story, like words or sign language, without these things, it’s not a story. When I say no rules I am talking about the fact that physical laws no longer necessarily apply. In writing a story you are free to construct your own reality any way you like.

:yes:

any is open for all sorts of interpretations

Tathagata

Freethinker
Whichever of those that acomplishes to make you a more loving and accepting(that is better than tolerant) person

So just give into your whims and do whatever you like based on what you, a sinful, flawed human thinks?

I'm pretty sure the Christian God was pretty clear when he said the complete opposite of that.

I don't think Yahweh is concerned with you being a good person, hes concerned with whether youre obedient, give glory to him, believe in him and accept his son as your savoir.