• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Cohen surrenders to the FBI

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Live: Michael Cohen surrenders to the FBI - CNNPolitics

Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former personal attorney, has surrendered to the FBI ahead of a 4 p.m. court proceeding, where the government is expected to disclose a plea deal, according to a law enforcement source.

As part of the deal, Cohen is expected to plead guilty to multiple counts of campaign finance violations, tax fraud and bank fraud, according to three sources. The deal would include jail time and a substantial monetary fine.

The man who taunted Hillary with a jail cell will find one for himself, instead. This is indeed a delicious dish of irony and I love it.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
This did not age well...
WoJjR9c.png

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of the saying "takes one to know one," but... in this case it feels heavily appropriate.

tytlyf

Not Religious
More to come, many more. RW media is still out there saying the FBI campaign investigation has zero evidence. Saying it's a hoax. Little do they know that they're being lied to.

Can't upset the republican establishment base now can we?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
We need far far more politicians go'n to the slammer.
It would send a cautionary message.
Actually, I think this is more about white collar crime than politicians. Cohen wasn’t a politician— he just worked for rich people who also became politicians.

But yes, we need to be investigating and prosecuting much more of that to try to ameliorate the current corporate (and rich people) free for all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually, I think this is more about white collar crime than politicians. Cohen wasn’t a politician— he just worked for rich people who also became politicians.

But yes, we need to be investigating and prosecuting much more of that to try to ameliorate the current corporate (and rich people) free for all.
Given the great power wielded, corruption in politics is more damaging
than in the private sector. Cohen was caught because he got into the
political sphere. And his being newsworthy is due to the same.
So this matters most to me.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Someone doesn't take a plea deal when there is zero evidence. ;)

Not always correct, sometimes the plea is taken because the circumstantial evidence is enough to get a conviction of some sort with a jury. That plea might be taken to offset a gamble on the mercy of a jury where the optics would overly skew a trial in an unfavorable direction. Pleas are often also taken in cases where the defendant thinks the trial cannot possibly be fair and they're hedging. Going to trial often keeps maximum sentences/fines on the table, pleas often drastically reduce them or mitigate them in trade for cooperation. Rarely is it in the defendants interest to go to trial in this case and they will take the plea regardless of true guilt.

I knew someone that went down for hate motivated crimes and they had the choice of plea for ten years or facing possible life for multiple counts of hate crime/arson. The didn't do the crime, but they lied that they did because this persons affiliations as a leader of a hate group would damn them with a jury. So basically the deal was 10 years versus life, does the truth matter that much? Yeah, he didn't think so either. You have to take the term 'conviction' with a grain of salt, it's not always an absolute.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The man who taunted Hillary with a jail cell will find one for himself, instead. This is indeed a delicious dish of irony and I love it.
For a while perhaps, but he cut a deal for limited immunity and will be relatively fine, unlike Trump who is sweating tacks right now. He! He!
animated-laughing-image-0003.gif