• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

minority religions

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
robtex said:
are you stating that your paganism, is in part, rejection of christian dogma as practiced in Florida? How did society influence/ impact your decision?
Indeed. My religion is, at least in part, a response to Christian Fundamentalism, specifically of the militant, right-wing variety. I suspect that had I been raised in a less hostile religious environment, I might have remained Christian, or whatever the dominant religion in the area would be.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
robtex said:
Premise 1: Religion is an expression, in part, to the culture of that region.

premise 2 : no religion is verifable as any more true or valid than any other religion by virtue of faith:

If you agree generally with premise # 1 and # 2 and you choose to not practice the dominant religion of that region why?

For instance if you are a non-christian theist in the USA and accept the premises stated why? If you are a muslim in India why? A pagan in canada why?

I ask because by choosing a religion of minority status you are putting yourself in that area of "believer" but still outsider to the norm. If you buy into premise number two what other factors persuaded you to choose a religion that is outside the majority?

I put this in the debate section in the theory that descent in both the premises presented and the reasons articulated for choosing a minority religion would be a natural output of the thread itself.

Although, as stated in premise 2, one faith cannot be verified as more true than another, it may be argued that one religion - with basic concepts that are promoted or implied within various religious traditions - develops the understanding of such concepts to a degree more practical than another. At least, more practical to a certain individual. In this way, one may place importance on one religion over another. Also, one may seek to validate a religion by dint of internal consistency. In the end, it need not be a case of "my religion is right and your religion is wrong". It can very well be a case of one's own level of realization, to which the various religions cater.

Ozzie

robtex said:

premise 2 : no religion is verifable as any more true or valid than any other religion by virtue of faith:

If you agree generally with premise # 1 and # 2 and you choose to not practice the dominant religion of that region why?

For instance if you are a non-christian theist in the USA and accept the premises stated why? If you are a muslim in India why? A pagan in canada why?

I ask because by choosing a religion of minority status you are putting yourself in that area of "believer" but still outsider to the norm. If you buy into premise number two what other factors persuaded you to choose a religion that is outside the majority?

I put this in the debate section in the theory that descent in both the premises presented and the reasons articulated for choosing a minority religion would be a natural output of the thread itself.
I agree with both premise. One reason someone might not follow the predominant religion is cultural diversity. There are over 100million muslims in India despite it being a minority religion. In places described as cultural melting pots, maintaining identity means sticking with traditions and religion, whether they are minority or not.

In my own case, I have no specific religion. But as most Australians do not have one they readily identify with, that would fit with the premise also. So I guess Australians are free to investigate various paths without an oppressive religious norm to contend with.

BFD_Zayl

because it rang true for me, my religion is the minority of minorities it seems, at least here in the USA, there are strict rules, more for your protection that as a way of being faithful, but aside from those few rules there is great freedom, couple that with the feeling i get from it..and..well, you know.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
robtex said:

I tried Christianity, it didn't work. I tried to make it work but I was lying to myself. This form of Wicca works for me, and I work with it. Religion and believer/follower is a symbiotic relationship, find the right religion and both benefit.

Kcnorwood

robtex said:
the general postulation to that is cultural identity and solidarity. If you see that statment is valid and default to a minority religion what prompted your decision?

For myself I found a beauty in Wicca that I could not find else where there was no judging others no hell. There is a balance to it that christiany is lacking.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
I agree with premise number two, however, premise number one strikes me as a bit chancy, though I think it's generally likely to be true.

I chose not to practice the dominant religion in my area due to my own discomfort with it. Basically, I felt as though I were betraying my good conscience during my spell with it.

Rolling_Stone

Is it more important to be identified with a particular faith or one with God? Must religion be associated with a particular set of ides or can it simply be religion? The concern to validate and propagate religious ideas is a disastrous confusion of religious style with religion.
"To see the light, it is only necessary to stop dreaming and open the eyes." Alan Watts

Monat

I have never agreed with the majority religion from my region, which is in the bible belt. I think the reasoning for this is just personal choice and the feeling of comfort I personaly don't get in Christianity. When I went to christian churches during my childhood I always felt like an outsider because even then I knew my personal beliefs did not match the majority.

I think that the reason there are religious majorities in certain regions is because most of the followers of the majority were raised within the majority and never really experienced anything else, or the studing or pracitice of other religions was shunned or would cause the individual to be socialy isolated. In most cultures and regions religion plays an important role in an individuals social life. So, the for some the thought of being socialy isolated by their former peers could deter them from considering any religion other than the one of their parents and peers.

Monat

My wife is an example of someone who follows a faith she doesn't fully agree with. She is Roman Catholic and admittedly doesn't agree with all of their teachings but has chosen to stay with this religion because it is part of her heritage and she doesn't want to experience the isolation that could come from practicing a different religion than her parents and peers.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
My boss is the same way, he is agnostic at best, but he is a 'practicing' Catholic.
He wants his children to be exposed to church, but he doesn't believe in the faith.

wa:do

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
robtex said:

Religion is an expression of culture, but culture is not monolithic. It is not the case that there is only one Indian culture and that culture is Hindu. There is an Indian Muslim culture. There is an Indian Christian culture. There is an Indian Sikh culture. There is an Indian Jain culture. All of these are influenced by and in turn influence Indian Hindu culture and Indian secular culture. If you are born in Kerala you are more likely to be Christian. If you are born in Punjab, you are more likely to be Sikh. If you are born in Kashmir you are more likely to be Muslim. Being these "minority" faiths would be totally in keeping with the culture of one's ancestors and local environment. To choose to be Hindu would be to go against one's culture.

You're also assuming that most people choose the religions that they have. Many people practice the religions of their parents, which given your premise #2 makes more sense to me than practicing the religion of the dominant culture.

As for those of us who actually did choose a non-dominant faith tradition, I can only speak for myself. I was led there by my conscience. It wasn't just some puerile desire to be counter-culture.

And if I were to try to conform to culture Rob, which religion would you have me choose - the Christianity that dominates my country or the Buddhism/Confucianism/Taoism of my ancestors? On what rational basis would I choose one way over another?