• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misconceptions about Pagans and Paganism

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
What do you find are the most common, and most insidious (as in, never go away) misconceptions about Paganism? Have you experienced any of them directly, or mainly through media (the internet counts as personal experience)?

Pagans sometimes spend a good deal of effort trying to "clear up" misconceptions about certain things, but do you think the methods are effective? If not, what's standing in the way?

(And, if you're a non-Pagan who previously had misconceptions about Paganism, but became better educated through some way, feel free to share here =) )

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
The one that I have heard a lot is that all Pagans are Wiccan and/or Worship only The Goddess.

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est
That we are all Wiccans....

A friend of mine is just convienced that all Pagans, I guess I should say all Neo-Pagans are Wiccans. She sees no difference between Non-Wiccan Pagans and Wiccans. lol So it's a mess trying to spell out the difference as she's nither Pagan or Wiccan and doesn't care to learn anything more about them. She's only reacting to what shes sees on the surface.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I personally don't like the "all pagans sacrifice chickens" one. Sheesh! In this day and age...

What you mean we don't? How did I miss that memo.

No kidding.

Hey, do you know where I put that Christian baby? I misplaced it again...

:sorry1: ;)

Babies, oh so that's what the .....book....was talking......about. What don't look at me like that.:areyoucra:cover:(Runs)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
My personal favorite is that all Pagans are confused goth-kids, or naked pot-smoking hippies. Apparently according to some people, Paganism isn't a real religion, it's just a way for people to look cool and claim to be "alternative" :rolleyes:

What are some of the strangest (and/or most offensive) misconceptions or ideas about Paganism out there? I saw on a couple of really out there crazy Christian websites that abortion is a Pagan sacrament, often described as "modern human sacrifice". :eek:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
one of the funnier ones i encounted was "does that mean you can read my thoughts? you're creepy..."

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
That all pagans are new-age types who believe crystals will heal them and constantly do spells and magic. :rolleyes:

What you mean we aren't......^_^

one of the funnier ones i encounted was "does that mean you can read my thoughts? you're creepy..."

We can't......why does nobody tell me these thing when I signed up......

One that I have heard, and Gentoo hinted at it. It's that we(most Wiccan) kidnap Christian babies and sacrifice to the Devil while drinking there Blood. Don't know if it's heard a lot but I have heard it.

shadow_fire

I'm not pagan, but I do know of the religion.

A misconception about the Wicca branch of paganism is that there all dark spell casting dark people, when in fact Wicca is white magic and any spell you cast comes back three fold.

A classic misconception from history is that the horned god is the devil, and that pagans worship the devil. This misconception led many pagans to be murdered at the hands of Christians.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I personally don't like the "all pagans sacrifice chickens" one. Sheesh! In this day and age...

Well, I *really* don't like that one! :chicken:

No one's mentioned the one where pagans all worship Satan yet?

I can't tell you how many times I've had to correct that one.

Well, I do live in the South. *sigh*

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Lol!

Isn't sacrificing chickens worshipping Satan?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

Surprisingly I don't get that one at all. Well, that's not true, but I don't really think the "If it's not God, it's Satan" line actually counts.

People seem to be a bit better educated about "alternative" belief systems here in NY since the papers like to do human interest stories on the subject every fall. :rolleyes: I'm waiting for my phone call to be interviewed, lol.