• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misheard lyrics

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I'll admit it - I love hearing about peoples' misheard lyrics. Those songs we thought we knew, only to find an entirely new meaning once we got our hands on a lyric sheet. :biglaugh:

What are some of your favourites? What are some of your own misheard lyrics? There are entire websites devoted to this, www.amiright.com is my favourite (many of you will have seen me post this link before lol).

I'll go first...when I was a kid I thought the first line of our national anthem was "Australian sunset ostriches". It is in fact "Australians all let us rejoice". :eek: I've got an excuse though - I had a hearing problem!

Next! :p

Smoke

Done here.
A friend of mine used to love the Bee Gees song "More Than a Woman" -- but he thought it was "Bald Headed Woman."

Another friend misheard the last word of the chorus of "Brass In Pocket" as vagination instead of imagination; her error came to light when she said they shouldn't play such a nasty song on the radio. ;)

cardero

Citizen Mod
Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By the Light

Blinded by the light
Caught up like a duece in the rotor of the night.

Actually there were many variables to this lyric. I believe it was Bastet, Enhanced Spirit and Michel who finally set me straight on this lyric.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I'll admit, I love the hardcore metal, but I can't understand half of it untill I look at a lyrics sheet. I even have a hard time following Children of Bodom at times while listening to some of thier songs and reading the lyrics.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Yay! *happy dances* This is one of my all-time favorite subjects!

As I mentioned in another thread, one of the few honest misheard lyrics that I've been parry to is in Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World. (Which is one of my favorite songs, so all the more odd that I didn't have the correct lyric until a few weeks ago.) The part of the song where Louis sings "The bright, blessed day, the dark, sacred night".... I thought it was "The bright, blessed day, dogs say 'good night'." (Picturing dogs howling to one another at dusk.)

I still kind of like my version.

SoyLeche

meh...
One of the guys that sang in the A Cappella group I was in told us he used to think the song "Give me the Beat Boys" said "Give me the Beach Boys". He polled one of our audiences to see if anyone else thought this. Not many raised their hands. We did do a Beach Boys song after it though.

As for myself, when I was a kid I always wondered what a shalmeno was, from a primary song called "Love One Another" - By this shalmeno ye are my disciples :)

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
For me, it was Jimi Hendrix, "Excuse me while I kiss this guy", but I think that is a pretty common one.

My grandmother talks about sitting in church as a kid and singing, "Bringing in the sheets", instead of "Bringing in the Sheeves". She told me that she always wondered why God would want us to come rejoicing while bring in the sheets from outside.

Linus

When My sister was little, she heard the song "Jose Cuervo" and thought it was "oh, Saint Cuervo"

"Oh Saint Cuervo, you are a friend of mine"

:biglaugh: She thought it was a religious song!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hehee, Linus! Speaking of relgious-type mishearings, one of my favorites of someone else's is, instead of "Jesus is Just Alright With Me", "Jesus is Just a Rat With Cheese."

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
Yay! *happy dances* This is one of my all-time favorite subjects!

As I mentioned in another thread, one of the few honest misheard lyrics that I've been parry to is in Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World. (Which is one of my favorite songs, so all the more odd that I didn't have the correct lyric until a few weeks ago.) The part of the song where Louis sings "The bright, blessed day, the dark, sacred night".... I thought it was "The bright, blessed day, dogs say 'good night'." (Picturing dogs howling to one another at dusk.)

I still kind of like my version.
Ooooooooh I prefer your words!:biglaugh:

When I was in my twenties, there was a group called the Baron Knights; they used to copy songs (singing so as to sound pretty much as good as the original artists)...I remember one of their songs was a copy of 'Baby Love' by the Three Degrees.......now I can't even remember the original words; for me it's

"Washing up, and scrubbing floors, and oh so many other chores".........................................................

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
BUDDY said:
For me, it was Jimi Hendrix, "Excuse me while I kiss this guy", but I think that is a pretty common one.

My grandmother talks about sitting in church as a kid and singing, "Bringing in the sheets", instead of "Bringing in the Sheeves". She told me that she always wondered why God would want us to come rejoicing while bring in the sheets from outside.
My grandmother used to do the same thing with 'Yes, Jesus Loves Me.'

'Little ones to him belong,
They are weak but tea is strong.'
She said she could never work out what the tea had to do with anything.:biglaugh:

My own personal misheard lyrics involves The GoGos - Our Lips Are Sealed. For the life of me I always thought it was a song about Alex the seal. Admittedly strange subject matter, and yet it worked...:D

ChrisP

Veteran Member
How about funny lyrics you thought you misheard.

Yes! - Siberian Khatru

Sing, bird of prey;
Beauty begins at the foot of you. do you believe the manner?
Gold stainless nail,
Torn through the distance of man
As they regard the summit.

Even siberia goes through the motions.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ðanisty said:
Oh, that site is hysterical! My nephew thought that Band on the Run by Wings was Band on the Rug.
I always thought that song was "Man on the Run", my husband told one day when I was singing it at the top of my lungs.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Quoth_The _Raven said:
My grandmother used to do the same thing with 'Yes, Jesus Loves Me.'

'Little ones to him belong,
They are weak but tea is strong.'
She said she could never work out what the tea had to do with anything.:biglaugh:
That sounds like Nan... :biglaugh:

Q_T_R said:
My own personal misheard lyrics involves The GoGos - Our Lips Are Sealed. For the life of me I always thought it was a song about Alex the seal. Admittedly strange subject matter, and yet it worked...
I remember not too many years ago when we were watching that Bee Gees concert, and you thought they were singing "Giving up fat toast" (Giving Up The Ghost). :p

I have a friend who is a good one for misheard lyrics. The line in the Cher song 'Turn Back Time' that goes "Words are like weapons, they wound sometimes" she thought was "Words are like whale bones, they move sometimes". And in the Alanis Morrissette song 'You Oughta Know' the line "Does she speak eloquently?", she thought was "Does she speak Amaquame?" (some foreign language, obviously!)

The reason this subject popped into mind yesterday, is because I was in the office at work, listening to a cd with the store manager while I was doing some bookwork. Soph was singing away (well, we were both pretty well belting it out), and she turned to me in embarassment and said "You know, I never realise how much I make up the words until I sing with someone else." :biglaugh:

Bishka

Veteran Member
I have a question, in the Bee Gees song, is it

"Saturday Night Fever"
"Night Fever Night Fever" In the chorus?

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
beckysoup61 said:
I have a question, in the Bee Gees song, is it

"Saturday Night Fever"
"Night Fever Night Fever" In the chorus?
The song is 'Night Fever', and the chorus is:

Night fever, night fever.
We know how to do it (oh).
Gimme that night fever, night fever.
We know how to show it.

From http://www.beegees-world.com/ ...the definitive site for Bee Gees lyrics.

One of my favourite misheard lyrics (found on www.amiright.com) was from that song. I often sing it instead of the real words now. :p

Bishka

Veteran Member
Bastet said:
The song is 'Night Fever', and the chorus is:

Night fever, night fever.
We know how to do it (oh).
Gimme that night fever, night fever.
We know how to show it.

From http://www.beegees-world.com/ ...the definitive site for Bee Gees lyrics.

One of my favourite misheard lyrics (found on www.amiright.com) was from that song. I often sing it instead of the real words now. :p
Then where did Saturday come in? I'mconfused.:p