• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missing Co-eds???

nutshell

Why are the missing co-eds shown in the media always honeys with blonde hair and blue eyes?

Sorry, folks. I feel bad for them and their families - but the blatant discrimination bothers me.

jonny

Why are the missing co-eds shown in the media always honeys with blonde hair and blue eyes?

Sorry, folks. I feel bad for them and their families - but the blatant discrimination bothers me.

This comment bothers me. There's no discrimination.

nutshell

This comment bothers me. There's no discrimination.

Yes there is. The media is always willing to put a blonde cutie on the screen, but what about the minorities who are taken? Why don't they get equal air time? If that's not discrimination then I don't know what is.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think nutshell has a point. At any given time there are no doubt dozens, perhaps hundreds of active missing child cases in the US. Obviously not all of them make it beyond a mention in the local paper.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I think nutshell has a point. At any given time there are no doubt dozens, perhaps hundreds of active missing child cases in the US. Obviously not all of them make it beyond a mention in the local paper.

The same happens here; it seems almost random though. Maybe a journalist happens to pick on one because "It is a good story", and the others go almost unoticed.

The number of missing children in any country at any time is incredible...I haven't the stats to hand, but the figures were quoted for the U.K some time back, and I was shocked.

jacquie4000

The last average I saw in the US was about 2100 children under the age of 18 missing on a daily basis with a total around 797,000 per year. That is alot of kids that do not hit the news.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

And some don't even make it that far

jonny

Why don't you actually try to answer my question or supporting your conclusion?

I hope BYU puts more effort against UCLA. Otherwise, they're doomed.

You're the person who presented an argument with NOTHING to back it up. Why should I put more work into the rebuttal than you put into the argument?

nutshell

You're the person who presented an argument with NOTHING to back it up. Why should I put more work into the rebuttal than you put into the argument?

Some things are so obvious the common lay person recognizes them (hence the support by other posters for my POV and none for yours).

But, per your request, here are some articles supporting my position:

The Media Online: When (White) Girls Go Missing

Michelle Malkin » MISSING PRETTY GIRL SYNDROME

And, even from mighty WIKI:

Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jonny

Are you changing your argument? You were arguing hair color and eye color. Now, you're arguing that the bias is skin color. Make up your mind.

Aqualung

Tasty
From the wiki article:

The NMPH notes that those cases that generate the greatest publicity are those where the missing person is white, middle-class, female, and from a stable two-parent family, and where there is no indication that the missing person ran away from home.

The following women have been mentioned in the media as possible cases of Missing White Woman Syndrome.

* Camille Cleverly (August 30, 2007) - BYU Student

nutshell

This thread is not about Camille Cleverly, but about the discrimination in reporting missing girl cases.

Aqualung

Tasty
This thread is not about Camille Cleverly, but about the discrimination in reporting missing girl cases.

But that is just one example of discrimination. I'm sorry, though. I didn't realise examples, even when just quoted, were inappropriate for this thread. :sorry1:

nutshell

But that is just one example of discrimination. I'm sorry, though. I didn't realise examples, even when just quoted, were inappropriate for this thread. :sorry1:

I only stated that because Jonny is taking this thread way too personally and it's clouding his judgment.