• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As you may already be aware of, I'm a podcaster on 6 different platforms which allows me to share information world-wide. The science of podcasting technology is also helping billions of people connect with their religions and other religions to gain an understanding of cultures, from my opinion podcasts are better than any school text book. What do you guys think about podcasting religious content?

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
For diffuse, non-organized religious movements like contemporary Paganism, podcasting has been important as a means of building community and generating discussion. I wager Pagan podcasting is less influential now than it was twenty years ago, but back then, it was very influential for some of us who discovered these religious traditions in the aughts.

Druidcast was a major factor behind my decision to join OBOD instead of ADF or AODA. I'd been listening to it for years before I decided to formally join a Druid order some years ago. It wasn't the only factor, but you get a very good sense of what OBOD is all about by listening to the podcast. Their production value is always good - which couldn't be said of all the other Pagan podcasts - and it's basically the only one I listen to anymore. I've got a massive backlog of them though because I don't commute anymore so I have to specifically carve out time to listen to podcasts these days, which just generally doesn't happen. Ah, well.

lukethethird

unknown member

Modern Sciences Helps Promote Religions

It's actually modern technology that helps promote religion. It has also been suggested that religion is overall declining, and that the internet has led people away from religion.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
As you may already be aware of, I'm a podcaster on 6 different platforms which allows me to share information world-wide. The science of podcasting technology is also helping billions of people connect with their religions and other religions to gain an understanding of cultures, from my opinion podcasts are better than any school text book.

The bolded part is the depressing opinion that many people seem to have these days. That opinions of rando's on the interwebs are "better" then school textbooks or actual proper quality news outlets.

This is how youth in the US is capable of naming all the Kardashians in 4 seconds, but can't name a single European capital or correctly say how many states the US has. It's how misinformation spreads like wildfire and how apparantly a third of the US population buys into "Q" conspiracies believing that the democrats operate an underground pedophelia network and other such nonsense.

It's the beginning of the end of advanced civilised society and the birth of idiocracy.

What do you guys think about podcasting religious content?
The less there is of it, the better.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As you may already be aware of, I'm a podcaster on 6 different platforms which allows me to share information world-wide. The science of podcasting technology is also helping billions of people connect with their religions and other religions to gain an understanding of cultures, from my opinion podcasts are better than any school text book. What do you guys think about podcasting religious content?

Using modern technology to promote your views is a very good use of science. So long as your podcasts are accurate and truthful I commend you.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Using modern technology to promote your views is a very good use of science. So long as your podcasts are accurate and truthful I commend you.
Considering the content of his posts here... I can only imagine what untruthful propaganda can and will be found on those "podcasts".

Suddenly, the ludicrously expensive supercar he was showing of in that other thread can be placed in a different light.
Sounds like another good-at-nothing "social media influencer" raking in millions from the "donations" of the gullible and advertising it seems.

I'm not sure who disappoints me most... the "influencer", or the "followers".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Considering the content of his posts here... I can only imagine what untruthful propaganda can and will be found on those "podcasts".

Suddenly, the ludicrously expensive supercar he was showing of in that other thread can be placed in a different light.
Sounds like another good-at-nothing "social media influencer" raking in millions from the "donations" of the gullible and advertising it seems.

At certain shows anyone can stand next to an expensive car.

EDIT: And it appears that is what he likes to do:

He has several YouTube channels and a grand total of 521 subscribers. One is not going to get rich that way.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Podcasting is not a science. It's a form of self-publishing.

ChristineM

Premium Member

That's why i stated "accurate and truthful"

And I've not seen his thread in which he stands next to an expensive car. I hope to see it one day ;-)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's why i stated "accurate and truthful"

And I've not seen his thread in which he stands next to an expensive car. I hope to see it one day ;-)
I edited my latest post and included a link of his where he is standing besides another expensive car. Oooh! I am impressed. All of that with only 520 YouTube subscribers. Pretty impressive.

Viker

Häxan
podcasts are better than any school text book
I don't necessarily agree. Podcasts, even textbooks for that matter, can be excellent resources to spread information or at worst misinformation. I see podcasts as potentially "worse" of a source. It's too easy to abuse the format to get views and money. Not opposed outright just skeptical of their efficacy. Books can be perused at a steadier pace making it easier to validate their content.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't necessarily agree. Podcasts, even textbooks for that matter, can be excellent resources to spread information or at worst misinformation. I see podcasts as potentially "worse" of a source. It's too easy to abuse the format to get views and money. Not opposed outright just skeptical of their efficacy. Books can be perused at a steadier pace making it easier to validate their content.
Agree entirely. Podcasts, or any other video media, have severe limitations. It's true they can be an engaging way to present a new topic to a previously uninformed audience. The intent should be to give an outline and stimulate curiosity, so that people are motivated to go off and find out more - from a book. But a video is almost useless at covering anything in detail. A single page of a textbook has as much information as about 15 minutes of video, I would estimate. And video is a linear medium: you cannot easily go back to check points that you have not fully grasped before continuing. Also, pictures are fairly weak at conveying the ideas, in many subjects.

So while I'm sure video has its place, in the end any serious student will need a book.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I edited my latest post and included a link of his where he is standing besides another expensive car. Oooh! I am impressed. All of that with only 520 YouTube subscribers. Pretty impressive.

Well at least it seems he is partial to track days where one can hire a supercar for a few dollars and drive it around a track.

I used to do it myself but using my own car, good fun.
Or the day i hired a zonda r and had Lewis Hamilton teach me a few tricks before beating 9 minuits around the nurburgring.
HotAdvancedHatchetfish-size_restricted.gif

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Agree entirely. Podcasts, or any other video media, have severe limitations. It's true they can be an engaging way to present a new topic to a previously uninformed audience. The intent should be to give an outline and stimulate curiosity, so that people are motivated to go off and find out more - from a book. But a video is almost useless at covering anything in detail. A single page of a textbook has as much information as about 15 minutes of video, I would estimate. And video is a linear medium: you cannot easily go back to check points that you have not fully grasped before continuing. Also, pictures are fairly weak at conveying the ideas, in many subjects.

So while I'm sure video has its place, in the end any serious student will need a book.
But not very useful if a person has only a bit more than13,000 total views. And those views will include people that only watch it for a few seconds and says "what a load of tosh!" and finds another video to watch.