• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monotheism is not economically, or socially viable

Bear Wild

Are you kidding me? It was the monotheistic West that developed scientific method. Nothing in the history of mankind has relieved as much human suffering as the scientific method.
You may want to reconsider this statement. The scientific method has given us a new insight on many natural processes, but it also created technology which has started to create more suffering that it has relieved.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
You may want to reconsider this statement. The scientific method has given us a new insight on many natural processes, but it also created technology which has started to create more suffering that it has relieved.
Many times the benefits have not seemed to out weight the costs.

OK. If I anderstand you assert that Western countries (although population being 99% monotheistic) apply principles of polytheism in their economic system. Is that right?

I think you are confusing religion and economy (although there is some overlapping and influence), correlation and causation. Besides that, modern economic systems are not totally free market capitalism. These countries have a mixed economy.

Studies suggest there is a channel from religious behaviours to macroeconomic outcomes of economic growth, crime rates and institutional development.[19] Scholars hypothesise religion impacts economic outcomes through religious doctrines promoting thrift, work ethic, honesty and trust.[20] These channels were described by Max Weber in his work The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism. Weber indicates that Protestant teachings were an important force behind the transition to modern day capitalism in Europe.[21] Other studies highlight the effects of religion on human capital formation as the main mechanism behind the dependency. Human capital formation is driven by higher religious importance of literacy [22]​
The correlation between religion and economic outcomes can be interpreted in two ways: (1) a feature intrinsic to religion which affects growth or (2) a feature correlated to religion but not religion itself which affects growth. Existing cross-country literature is criticised for inability to distinguish between the two explanations, a problem termed endogeneity bias. Controlling for country fixed effects mitigates bias but more recent studies utilise field and natural experiments to identify the causal effect of religion.[29] Robustness of cross-country results to changes in specification of the statistical models is criticised in the literature.[30]​

[URL click /URL]
One historically wealthy nomadic group was the Mongol Empire, especially during the reign of Genghis Khan and his successors in the 13th and 14th centuries. Known for their nomadic way of life across the vast steppes of Central Asia, the Mongols accumulated substantial wealth through both conquest and trade.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
You must not know much about ancient Rome. Lol.
Yeah. The Romans definitely weren't known for their admiration and peaceful ways with others in Europe, Africa and Asia. They were known, however, for forcing people to abandon their tradition and heritage and adopt Roman ways.
If they were as tolerant as claimed the Gauls, Goths , Vandals, they probably probably wouldn't have sacked Rome.

Shadow Wolf

lol, kaput. Many monotheistic nations economically thrive.
And many don't. It's the same for polytheistic nations. Some flourished, some failed, some grew large enough to militarily oppress others.
Or what of the Mongolian Empire? They basically set the bar for freedom of religion, yet Eastern beliefs often don't fit into the atheism-theist dichotomy with Genghis Kahn himself being of a religion (Temgrism) that we would considered polytheism with touch of pantheism.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
My ***, I know plenty of history. You likewise don't know much about reality. Thanks foir insulting me and getting away with it.
You need to calm down, especially when you just insulted me. You have been shown to be mistaken throughout this thread by multiple people. It's okay to be incorrect, you know. We're all human.

It's just a fact that ancient Rome wasn't kind or tolerant towards other peoples. They committed genocide against the Druids and banned various religions and practices they found offensive. They conquered and enslaved various peoples. This idea that pre-Christian societies were somehow more humane and accepting is really a myth.

ChieftheCef

You need to calm down, especially when you just insulted me. You have been shown to be mistaken throughout this thread by multiple people. It's okay to be incorrect, you know. We're all human.

It's just a fact that ancient Rome wasn't kind or tolerant towards other peoples. They committed genocide against the Druids and banned various religions and practices they found offensive. They conquered and enslaved various peoples. This idea that pre-Christian societies were somehow more humane and accepting is really a myth.
No I ****ing haven't. You need to have a clear mind, your side took attitude with me first. I decide if I have been convinced, grasping at straws are we?

ChieftheCef

Kys.
It's just a fact that ancient Rome wasn't kind or tolerant towards other peoples. They committed genocide against the Druids and banned various religions and practices they found offensive. They conquered and enslaved various peoples. This idea that pre-Christian societies were somehow more humane and accepting is really a mymyth.
A muh muh myth? As if you mistyped it because your body subconsciously realizes you're lanoisuled Dawgs

Most non monotheistic places flourished they were almost entirely open in fact they were reasonably open. Christianity is what caused the empire to fall. Lrn 2 fct

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Kys.

A muh muh myth? As if you mistyped it because your body subconsciously realizes you're lanoisuled Dawgs
What? Are you okay? Or having a stroke?
Most non monotheistic places flourished they were almost entirely open in fact they were reasonably open.
You've been shown to be wrong on that notion multiple times.
Christianity is what caused the empire to fall.
No, overstretched borders with not enough defense and under paid troops along with unrest and mismanagement in Rome, is more of what caused the Western Roman Empire to fall. It was too big and too unwieldy. However, the Eastern Roman Empire continued for another thousand years as the Byzantine Empire which was Orthodox Christian.
Lrn 2 fct
Learn to type. This a message board, not a chat room. I'm on a phone, myself, so if I can type like a normal human, you can too. It's called having respect for others, which you keep demonstrating a lack of.

Shadow Wolf

No I ****ing haven't. You need to have a clear mind, your side took attitude with me first. I decide if I have been convinced, grasping at straws are we?
Because we know better. Rome expected everyone to be submissive to Rome and forsake the ways of their ancestors and adopt Roman ways.
Wanna know we have scant remains and know so little about the religion of my ancestors the Celts? Julius Ceasar ordered genocide and specifically targeted the Druids, the social, religious and political leaders of Celtic peoples. A Roman "Dictator for life" systemically attacked and erased it and hindered it being passed to future generations.