• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral development

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I think most people on this forum agree that morality is something that humans develop with or without religion. I'm looking for ways that religion contributes to moral development. I'm actually doing a paper on it for human development class and I'm looking for some inspiration. How has your religion infuenced your moral beliefs and actions?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am not especially big on morals to begin with and have grave reservations about individuals who need to be told via their religion what is permissable and what is not. It is my perception that religion only mirrors cultural norms within various social structures by setting guidelines in stone and thereby attempting to restrict expression that just comes to the surface anyway.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't have a religion now, but I grew up Catholic. I bought into some of their morals for years. Even after I stopped believing and being Catholic I held onto to some morals which are particular to Christianity, for instance, like abstaining from sex before marriage. I didn't quite go that far, but I did wait until I was in a serious relationship with someone I loved.

Over the years, though, I dropped all of that, and began to adhere to my own moral code, essentially the Golden Rule. I feel that I'm completely free of the details of Christian morality, although some of their concepts are universal.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
I think that religion, in all manner of contexts and forms, has often acted as a means of challenging prevailing modes of behaviour within societies and encouraging greater equality and justice within them. Often this has been done through an emphasis on the divine aspect of humanity (We are in the image of God/We share a divine essence/There is no intrinsic separation between God, nature and man, and so on and so forth) and in so doing according an ultimate parity between individuals, and through advocating compassion as the means of developing a sense of God.

Of course, just because religion has previously acted in this pattern does not mean it inevitably does so. Frequently, and sadly, religion has instead acted as a force to root and constrain people in their prejudices and flaws, rather then help them transcend them. And so they, and sometimes we, begin to worship ourselves and our flaws as the culmination of perfection, writ large across the universe.

Whilst not my religion, a good example of the former, as well as the latter, can be found in certain books in the Old Testament, and particularly in the writings of characters such as Isaiah and Amos. They present an image of God who is passionately committed to social equality and justice, and who is said to say such things as:

Isaiah 1:15-17 said:
15 When you spread out your hands in prayer,
I will hide my eyes from you;
even if you offer many prayers,
I will not listen.
Your hands are full of blood;
16 wash and make yourselves clean.
Take your evil deeds
out of my sight!
Stop doing wrong,
17 learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow.

Isaiah 1:21-25 said:
21 See how the faithful city
has become a harlot!
She once was full of justice;
righteousness used to dwell in her—
but now murderers!
22 Your silver has become dross,
your choice wine is diluted with water.
23 Your rulers are rebels,
companions of thieves;
they all love bribes
and chase after gifts.
They do not defend the cause of the fatherless;
the widow's case does not come before them.
24 Therefore the Lord, the LORD Almighty,
the Mighty One of Israel, declares:
"Ah, I will get relief from my foes
and avenge myself on my enemies.
25 I will turn my hand against you;
I will thoroughly purge away your dross
and remove all your impurities.

Amos 2:6-8 said:
6 This is what the LORD says:
"For three sins of Israel,
even for four, I will not turn back my wrath.
They sell the righteous for silver,
and the needy for a pair of sandals.
7 They trample on the heads of the poor
as upon the dust of the ground
and deny justice to the oppressed.
Father and son use the same girl
and so profane my holy name.
8 They lie down beside every altar
on garments taken in pledge.
In the house of their god
they drink wine taken as fines.

(All translations NIV)

What I find interesting is that even in books such as these there is a hint of the latter root-in-ing occurring, and in the books which do the most to paint God as an arbitrary and tribal deity there is a suggestion of the former transcend-in-ing going on.

Religion can be so deliciously vague. ;)

Rolling_Stone

I think most people on this forum agree that morality is something that humans develop with or without religion. I'm looking for ways that religion contributes to moral development. I'm actually doing a paper on it for human development class and I'm looking for some inspiration. How has your religion infuenced your moral beliefs and actions?
Personally, I can't figure out what's so danged difficult about the notion that morality has dual origins: evolution and divine influence. Morality without religion can only carry so far because at its roots are human fears and selfishness. It takes more than that to move us from "thou shalt not" to positive goodness without hope of reward or fear of punishment--which is at the heart of Christ's teaching notwithstanding popular misunderstandings. You say you are "looking for ways that religion contributes to moral development." I don't think so. If you're willing to read books like Breaking the Spell (which I have), you should be also willing to read books like Tippett's Speaking of Faith.

I agree that most religions are highly comparitive to social norms. Any sane Atheist even innately knows that killing is wrong.
I personally believe that there is a certain amount of a moral conscience instinctively imbeded within us from our inception. I think religion is more of something to check yourself by.
I believe in Karma, and my religion tells me "do what thou wilt as long as it harm none". Therefore, I am constantly checking myself before I do something, I ask myself, Is this going to hurt someone else? I am I being selfish? I think selfishness is the root of all evil.
Even when I'm driving, and I get road rage, I have to tell myself to calm down or my angry words are going to come back around to get me.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi,Kungfuzed. I think the basis of my moral compass comes from the Thirteenth Article of Faith (think back... it starts out "We believe...;))

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

To me, my own personal integrity is more important than just about anything else. I see integrity as being the opposite of hypocrisy, so to me it's important to be what I claim to be, to exemplify the things I claim to believe are true.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I am not especially big on morals to begin with and have grave reservations about individuals who need to be told via their religion what is permissable and what is not. It is my perception that religion only mirrors cultural norms within various social structures by setting guidelines in stone and thereby attempting to restrict expression that just comes to the surface anyway.
That sounds like a pretty narrow understanding of what "morals" are, Paul. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I see morality as encompassing everything that affects how we interact with other human beings. Honestly, respect, civility and many other qualities are taught by most of the world's great religions. I'm not saying that a non-religious person could not develop those same qualities, but I fail to see how the fact that they are taught as part of a religious foundation makes them somehow less noble than they would be otherwise.

texan1

This is an interesting topic Kungfuzed. Sometimes I wonder if it can go both ways. Maybe religion influences society and society influences religion. Sometimes I think social norms and our evolving morality can influence the way religion is interpreted. I have read essays on the idea that we have evolved morally (no more slavery, no more witch trials, etc.) and yet the Bible hasn't changed. Am I making any sense? I think there is a "gentler" interpretation of the Bible and Christianity today compared to 300 years ago for example.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
George Washington: "...reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle..."

" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."

John Adams: "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --October 11, 1798

They felt the need for religion to develop morality in the people.

texan1

I think separation of church and state is so important though, and I'm glad our founding fathers established that. A theocracy would be a dangerous thing. Sorry...its late and I think I'm starting to get off topic here...

Orontes

Master of the Horse

Religion may contribute to moral development by acting as the justification for moral claims.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Religion may contribute to moral development by acting as the justification for moral claims.
When you consider that the "natural man is an enemy to God", isn't God the source of morality rather than only a justification? Aren't men intrinsically evil?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
How has your religion infuenced your moral beliefs and actions?

Hinduism has encouraged me to love and respect those around me - to see Divinity in others...other people, nature, animals, plants, life in gereral.

Also, it made me believe in Ahimsa or non-violence; causing as little pain as possible to other living creatures. This is part of the reason for me being vegetarian.

In spite of Ahimsa, Hinduism has also thought me that I must defend myself when there is no other alternative. When we stand up for what is right (Dharma) we are protected. There is a saying that when you protect Dharma, Dharma will protect you.

I believe in doing good deeds but not looking for the fruits or rewards of those actions. This is stated in the Bhagvad Gita. We must perform actions unconditionally; we must not look for something in return. We will however be rewarded according to the law of Karma.

Orontes

Master of the Horse
When you consider that the "natural man is an enemy to God", isn't God the source of morality rather than only a justification? Aren't men intrinsically evil?

Personally, I don't believe man is intrinsically evil, such a notion is problematic.

Per the larger question: God is the justification for moral claims by being the source (the fundamental referent) of the good and the law.

+Xausted

no longer believe but was brought up pentecostal.
i can not entertain weegee (sorry, cant spell it) boards. or visit pyshcics ...they make me feel uncomfortable.
i put my first bet on the grand national the other day....but still felt it was wrong to be in a betting establishment.
and the rest of my morals are just like the rest of the human race, dont kill, harm, etc...which religion is not needed for to teach in my opinion

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
If you believe that a society doesn't need religion to be a moral society, then you disagree with George Washington. He sent his troups to church.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Well... my lack of religion might have made me a little bit more cynical and indifferent... I still care about people and animals, and like to save crawdads from the puppies outside, but I kind of don't care about too many things anymore... I just want to not be mean to people, because even though I believe no one has any meaning, they are still here, and they still have feelings... and I just want to make enough monies to do the things I want, and have fun, because there is nothing else I need to do in life.