• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral example of the Catholic Church

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The Vatican is an organization that excommunicates women for attempting to become priests but does not excommunicate male priests for raping children. It excommunicates doctors who perform abortions to save a mother's life--even if the mother is a nine-year-old girl raped by her stepfather and pregnant with twins-- but it did not excommunicate a single member of the Third Reich for committing genocide. Are we really obliged to consider such a diabolical inversion of priorities to be evidence of an alternative "moral" framework?

--Sam Harris

The Vatican is an organization that excommunicates women for attempting to become priests but does not excommunicate male priests for raping children. It excommunicates doctors who perform abortions to save a mother's life--even if the mother is a nine-year-old girl raped by her stepfather and pregnant with twins-- but it did not excommunicate a single member of the Third Reich for committing genocide. Are we really obliged to consider such a diabolical inversion of priorities to be evidence of an alternative "moral" framework?

--Sam Harris

Regardless of how messed up the catholic church is, millions have been brain washed since childhood to regard the organization as an unquestioned authority. Though, at this point, I don't think anyone who is not a catholic has a shred of respect left for the catholic church.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Regardless of how messed up the catholic church is, millions have been brain washed since childhood to regard the organization as an unquestioned authority. Though, at this point, I don't think anyone who is not a catholic has a shred of respect left for the catholic church.
It's sad that people like my family members still have faith in such a corrupt organization.

Skwim

Veteran Member

--Sam Harris
While it appears to qualify as a "moral framework," it's hardly an admirable one.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
If you need to believe that the Church is the spokesman for Divine truth on Earth, then the simple answer is yes.

Biblestudent_007

Actually the Catholic Church is an ancient institution that has been through several stages of world history. Because of God, it (the Church) teaches and instructs about morality and issues of faith. What is in the OP are scandals and unfortunate events/circumstances that occur for some reason unknown to me. I don't consider myself as above the moral constitution of the holy Church.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Actually the Catholic Church is an ancient institution that has been through several stages of world history. Because of God, it (the Church) teaches and instructs about morality and issues of faith. What is in the OP are scandals and unfortunate events/circumstances that occur for some reason unknown to me. I don't consider myself as above the moral constitution of the holy Church.

No, they're not scandals or unfortunate events. They're policy. Child-raping priests is a scandal. The church keeping them in good standing is a policy. Excommunicating women for trying to become priests is a policy. Excommunicating doctors for performing abortions to save children's lives is a policy. Not excommunicating Nazi's was a policy decision.

What is the message about morality that such an institution is teaching and instructing?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

--Sam Harris

Oh, that daffy Sam Harris! He says the most horrible things! I hope the Pope excommunicates him.

AnonAmos

There is an important difference to make between the human structure created by fallible beings and the will of God. Just because one has obvious problems, that doesn't effect the other.

AnonAmos

Besides, since we have scripture, we already know how to live. God telling us in person instead of in writing(without nixing free will) wouldn't really change things.

no-body

Further proof that all paths lead to God. If there where really some club that God would prefer you joined there would have to be advantages to joining it. If any path can be corrupted by humans, then they are all equally valid.

Biblestudent_007

No, they're not scandals or unfortunate events. They're policy. Child-raping priests is a scandal. The church keeping them in good standing is a policy. Excommunicating women for trying to become priests is a policy. Excommunicating doctors for performing abortions to save children's lives is a policy. Not excommunicating Nazi's was a policy decision.

What is the message about morality that such an institution is teaching and instructing?

The messages can be found on the official Vatican website and in the numerous encyclicals of the Popes.

AnonAmos

Further proof that all paths lead to God. If there where really some club that God would prefer you joined there would have to be advantages to joining it. If any path can be corrupted by humans, then they are all equally valid.
The path can be corrupted, yes but Truth cannot be corrupted. That is why it is every person's responsibility to search out the Truth for themselves instead of simply trying to find the best path.

no-body

The path can be corrupted, yes but Truth cannot be corrupted. That is why it is every person's responsibility to search out the Truth for themselves instead of simply trying to find the best path.

Exactly which means truth is a pathless land that is constantly changing and different for everyone.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Besides, since we have scripture, we already know how to live. God telling us in person instead of in writing(without nixing free will) wouldn't really change things.
...Yes it would. It would convince the 5 billion people who don't believe that God's word is actually right, for one.