• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on mind/body

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
My Nan died on the 20th. Her mind was perfect right up to her last moment. I sat with her corpse for a while just after she died and although I could feel her in the room she was not in her body. That warm corpse on the bed was not her.
The more I live and experience life the more I feel that our bodies are no more us than our finger-nail clippings are.
I was sad at her passing, but I feel strongly that the veil between worlds is a thin one. The passing of loved ones fuels my hunger for life and I will continue to hold them close. I feel that our distance from our dead is in our own control.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Sorry to hear about the loss.

I look at it this way: the Self is at least partly socially-created. The people I know (including myself) are models in my mind that never die. Part of her is quite literally with you.

I think that consciousness does transcend the individual; the collective group of cells that make up my body are as a part of my consciousness as the people that surround me.

You, Stephen, are even a part of my consciousness. :cool:

My Nan died on the 20th. Her mind was perfect right up to her last moment. I sat with her corpse for a while just after she died and although I could feel her in the room she was not in her body. That warm corpse on the bed was not her.
The more I live and experience life the more I feel that our bodies are no more us than our finger-nail clippings are.
I was sad at her passing, but I feel strongly that the veil between worlds is a thin one. The passing of loved ones fuels my hunger for life and I will continue to hold them close. I feel that our distance from our dead is in our own control.

I give my condolence to you on your grandma's passing away. Everybody has a predestined time and place when and where they will die. It is all part of God's Plan. We may not know entirely His Plan for our lives, but with faith, we live by the understand that as flesh, we will all soon turn to dust. And with a soul, the faithful shall rise as a spiritual body into Heaven, which is where your grandma is right now stephen. I look at life as short and sweet because it is. We are only given a brief period on Earth to make amends for our sins, to grow in holiness, and to walk peacefully with Lord Jesus. But life continues. The difference is, suffering exists in this world. But no one suffers in Heaven for they live with everlasting love, joy, peace, and happiness. That is how your grandma lives now and forever Stephen.

blackout

Violet.
I give my condolence to you on your grandma's passing away. Everybody has a predestined time and place when and where they will die. It is all part of God's Plan. We may not know entirely His Plan for our lives, but with faith, we live by the understand that as flesh, we will all soon turn to dust. And with a soul, the faithful shall rise as a spiritual body into Heaven, which is where your grandma is right now stephen. I look at life as short and sweet because it is. We are only given a brief period on Earth to make amends for our sins, to grow in holiness, and to walk peacefully with Lord Jesus. But life continues. The difference is, suffering exists in this world. But no one suffers in Heaven for they live with everlasting love, joy, peace, and happiness. That is how your grandma lives now and forever Stephen.

Not to be obnoxious, but what happens to the "non-faithful"?
And what qualifies one to be "the faithful"?
And how do you know enough about Stephen's grandmother
to know if she qualifies as one of "the faithful" or not?
(to make such an assured statement as you did regarding
the afterlife beliefs of your religion.)

Stephen. Surely you know me well enough to understand what I'm getting at here.

Your ever connection of self to your grandmother
has nothing at all to do with religious "conditions".

I believe DoJC,
that Stephen was speaking of the TRANSCENDENT,
in the here and now of eternity.
Where we ever and always reside.

But Stephen is free to correct me if I am wrong.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

Thank you for the condolences. I appreciate it. The priest at her funeral mass was all about those who die in Christ living in Christ. I was laughing with her inside because she was an unrepentant lover of life and dis-agreer with priests, bishops and popes. She was proud of how her own mother ran the priest after her thirteenth pregnancy and went down the birth control route!
I thought she was great and while I think that she lived in Christ, I don't think that many priests would agree :D. She wasn't faithful or even a believer in the orthodox sense. She was a lover of life who brightened the day of everyone she met. She liked a flutter on the horses and would take in any stray person she met along the way, she could laugh and curse with the best of them. She would give someone one of her limbs if she thought they needed it, but she used get highly indignant if the priest dropped in an envelope or tried for a donation. A real Christian in my view!

blackout

Violet.
Thank you for the condolences. I appreciate it. The priest at her funeral mass was all about those who die in Christ living in Christ. I was laughing with her inside because she was an unrepentant lover of life and dis-agreer with priests, bishops and popes. She was proud of how her own mother ran the priest after her thirteenth pregnancy and went down the birth control route!
I thought she was great and while I think that she lived in Christ, I don't think that many priests would agree :D. She wasn't faithful or even a believer in the orthodox sense. She was a lover of life who brightened the day of everyone she met. She liked a flutter on the horses and would take in any stray person she met along the way, she could laugh and curse with the best of them. She would give someone one of her limbs if she thought they needed it, but she used get highly indignant if the priest dropped in an envelope or tried for a donation. A real Christian in my view!

Awww.... she sounds wonderful. :hug:

No wonder you feel such a deep connection to her.

Please forgive me if I spoke improperly up above.
Perhaps this was not the appropriate time for my comments. :(

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Am with you Stephen. Your Grandmother is with us too in essence. There is no distance as seen from my perspective.