• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormonism requisite distrust of science?

Sententia

First I am not stating that I am quoting from a moving story of a 7th generation mormon who lost his faith and is still married to his wife who remains a mormon.

But RF does have a large number of mormons and religious scholars. What do you think of his post?

The feelings that accompanied my deconversion are strikingly similar to the feelings described by many of those people who I personally converted to Mormonism. It was a great relief; a giant weight lifted; a rush of excitement. The flood of intellectual nourishment that followed as I sought out knowledge and explored evidence without fear of where it might lead was, and is, constantly exciting.

You see, it wasn’t the rules and restrictions of Mormonism that most bothered me. For the most part I didn’t really mind them. It was the intellectual bondage and the requisite distrust of science that was, to a scientific mind, unbearable.

I did feel much the same way when I accepted that there is most likely no god and the bible is just another supernatural tale akin to the hobbit or the legends of pots of gold at the ends of rainbows. A more grown up version of santa claus I thought at the time and I remember how kids felt when they found out santa was fake and what it might feel like to find out god was fake. Ultimately I was surprised. It was a very much a rush of freedom and joy.

His entire blog post and series of followup's can be found here: Secular Skeptic: My Road to Atheism, Part 1: What took me so long

JL Fuller

There is no such thing. Maybe in some small circles there is a prevailing private opinion about such things but it certainly isn't official or wide spread. You have to be careful not to ascribe such notions as being widely held because they are not. Everyone has an opinion even high Church officials but they do not necessarily represent Church doctrine. There is only one place to get official Church doctrine at any time and that is The First Presidency. Even the things dead presidents and prophets said do not necessarily hold true as doctrine. That is fundamental to understanding LDS theology. It is also where many commenters get messed up. God continues to lead the church on a day-to-day basis. What held true 100 years ago may not hold today. Circumstances change. Plural marriage is a good example. It worked for a limited time and then was abandon but not before the problem was taken to God for His direction. He made the decision to stop it.