• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormons; the Problem of Iron, Alcohol & the Wheel

Sapiens

Polymathematician
That's how I got to where I got: there is no Iberian curly horse. The theory is just the well known theory that supposedly explains how all horses got to the Americas. The absense of an Iberian curly horse, or a Russian curly horse clearly contradicts that theory, as the does mounting evidence of archeology and carbon 14 dating.
Here you go, from wiki: "Another theory is that the origin of the breed is Iberian.[9] It has been noted that foals of cross bred horses have the curly hair. This suggests that the curly gene is dominant."

So there is an Iberian, and a Russian (know as the Bashkir horse) and you're just making it up as you go. There is no C-14 dating that indicates the presence of any post
Pleistocene, pre-Colombian, Equus sp. You're wrong about the whole curly horse thing, which proves nothing any way. You're similarly wrong about concrete, and we've not even begun on all the others. You flit from one anachronism to another, hoping (I guess) to pretend that the unanswered becomes unseen, ignoring the fact that there are so many that even if Smith got it right by accident concerning a single anachronism, there are so many that need explaining that you can't possibly keep up.

BTW: care to share the numbers for those posts were you claim to not have said that facts are not as important as the Book of Mormon?

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
So there is an Iberian, and a Russian (know as the Bashkir horse) and you're just making it up as you go.
No, there isn't. I read this and kept reading, something I highly recommend. There is no Iberian curly horse, and there is no Bashkir horse; the Bashkir is what they erroneously called the North American Curly Horse. The gene may be dominant, but it has produced a breed of horse only in America.

Were you aware that the Spanish deny that their horses escaped and populated the Americas? Horses were expensive to ship, and they kept very good records of them. To a head, they can tell you how and when they died. Almost all of the horses shipped to America were stallions, with the rare mare thrown in. So even if some did escape, or were stolen by Indians, it isn't likely that there were any mares among them. Just a hundred years later, there are reports all over North America of horses; often settlers would settle new areas only to discover that the horse was already there and being used by the local Indians. In some areas the wild horses were so numerous as to be considered pests. At some point one must ask the vital question: did horses magically disappear, and then magically reappear, filling North America within a hundred years? Or were they here all along?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
No, there isn't. I read this and kept reading, something I highly recommend. There is no Iberian curly horse, and there is no Bashkir horse; the Bashkir is what they erroneously called the North American Curly Horse. The gene may be dominant, but it has produced a breed of horse only in America.

Were you aware that the Spanish deny that their horses escaped and populated the Americas? Horses were expensive to ship, and they kept very good records of them. To a head, they can tell you how and when they died. Almost all of the horses shipped to America were stallions, with the rare mare thrown in. So even if some did escape, or were stolen by Indians, it isn't likely that there were any mares among them. Just a hundred years later, there are reports all over North America of horses; often settlers would settle new areas only to discover that the horse was already there and being used by the local Indians. In some areas the wild horses were so numerous as to be considered pests. At some point one must ask the vital question: did horses magically disappear, and then magically reappear, filling North America within a hundred years? Or were they here all along?
What utter foolishness. Records were kept of horses because the men who owned their own received twice the share of those who did not. Many horses were lost, including those of the many Spanish, Portuguese, French, and even Dutch, English, Greeks, Germans and Venetians who were among the quarter million people who traveled to the New world in the 16th century. How many horses came with them? How many escaped? How many groups of "explorers" were lost? Wild horses double their population every four years. This means a group of only four horses could reach the two million estimated to be on the plains at the peak of their population in less than 100 years, no magic required ... just standard fecundity.

I suppose you will next claim extensive records for elephants, cows, pigs, sheep, silks moths, etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
Wild horses double their population every four years. This means a group of only four horses could reach the two million estimated to be on the plains at the peak of their population in less than 100 years, no magic required ... just standard fecundity.
Mathematically, you are correct. If there is plenty of food, no averse weather, and no predators, then horses could become quite numerous in a hundred years. Horses were also brought over specifically for breeding by Columbus himself, who put them on the Island of Hispaniola. Of course horses do have predators; humans, cougars, wolves... but mostly humans. I don't know of any way to tell how much effect Native American populations would have had on the proliferation of horses. They probably killed them for meat. They wouldn't have known how to tame them until later. This is all conjecture; I don't know if or when the horse became extinct in America, and neither do you.
I suppose you will next claim extensive records for elephants, cows, pigs, sheep, silks moths, etc., etc., etc.
I don't recall reading any articles about the proliferation of elephants across America; is this the untold story of the American continent? Did they escape from zoos, quickly numbering in the hundreds of thousands?
Cows did number in the hundreds of thousands, before the advent of Columbus; we call them, incorrectly, buffalo. They are really bison, which may also have escaped from Spanish shipwrecks. I mean, there is no way that a large mammal like that could survive the Pleistocene, right? ;-)
In Texas, we have a problem right now with the Texas Wild Boar. Incidentally, one of the chupacabra videos on youtube shows a Texas policemen chasing a wild boar. I have been unable to verify whether the Spanish brought them over or not. Perhaps they didn't keep any records for wild boar.
Ovis canadensis, the mountain sheep, is another large mammal that somehow survived the ice age, and is indigenous to North America. It has been noted for being easily tamed. Its wool has been found among ancient american artifacts, and are depicted in many petroglyphs.
Wild silk was had in Mesoamerica, according to some reports. There were several varieties of silk moth present. Here is one of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antheraea_polyphemus

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Mathematically, you are correct. If there is plenty of food, no averse weather, and no predators, then horses could become quite numerous in a hundred years. Horses were also brought over specifically for breeding by Columbus himself, who put them on the Island of Hispaniola. Of course horses do have predators; humans, cougars, wolves... but mostly humans. I don't know of any way to tell how much effect Native American populations would have had on the proliferation of horses. They probably killed them for meat. They wouldn't have known how to tame them until later. This is all conjecture; I don't know if or when the horse became extinct in America, and neither do you.
So now the 2,000,000 horses are no longer "magical" as you claimed.

No, we are not on an equal footing here, there is lots of evidence that there were no horses. So much so that there is a virtual scientific consensus on the subject. All that support the claim that there were is Mormon hot air and claims of "magic."
I don't recall reading any articles about the proliferation of elephants across America; is this the untold story of the American continent? Did they escape from zoos, quickly numbering in the hundreds of thousands?
Cows did number in the hundreds of thousands, before the advent of Columbus; we call them, incorrectly, buffalo. They are really bison, which may also have escaped from Spanish shipwrecks. I mean, there is no way that a large mammal like that could survive the Pleistocene, right? ;-)
In Texas, we have a problem right now with the Texas Wild Boar. Incidentally, one of the chupacabra videos on youtube shows a Texas policemen chasing a wild boar. I have been unable to verify whether the Spanish brought them over or not. Perhaps they didn't keep any records for wild boar.
Ovis canadensis, the mountain sheep, is another large mammal that somehow survived the ice age, and is indigenous to North America. It has been noted for being easily tamed. Its wool has been found among ancient american artifacts, and are depicted in many petroglyphs.
Wild silk was had in Mesoamerica, according to some reports. There were several varieties of silk moth present. Here is one of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antheraea_polyphemus
Keep making it up as you go ... I am done detailing your errors. The reality is the the Book of Mormon contains a pack of lies that you can neither defend nor admit, tough spot to be stuck in.

Shad

Veteran Member
Yes, the 1998 Emory University study postulated very early dates for all the haplotypes, even though some small percentage of modern mixing of bloodlines was assumed. So unless their dates were way off, it really doesn't tell us anything about the Book of Mormon, or the likelihood of the base population being altered by a small influx of non-Asian DNA. Everyone is so eager to explain what DNA tells us, that it is harder to discover what DNA doesn't tell us. It reminds me of the old chessboard story, where the king wants to reward the inventor of chess. The inventor suggests putting a single grain of wheat on the first square, two on the 2nd, four on the 3rd, and so forth doubling each time until every square has been filled. What the king doesn't realize, is that the final weight of the wheat is more than the weight of the earth. The puzzle of genetics seems to be the obverse; instead of doubling, it is halved 64 times (in 64 generations), and recombined. With an average generation of 25 years, 64 generations would equal about 1600 years. So after the relatively short time of 1600 years, a complete map of DNA becomes almost impossible, needing the ability to expand that 1% of the DNA that doesn't represent the 4 main haplotypes(in the case of Native Americans), perhaps a million times or more, just to get a crude picture of what else might be present in the last two millenia. This is oversimplified, because DNA doesn't really behave like this; people don't keep the genetic material from every ancestor. Maternal DNA, for example, is passed down to both sons and daughters from their mother, but only the daughters continue to carry it on to the next generation. So if I were to look at my mother's mtDNA, it would be a close match to just one of millions of mothers 64 generations past. If we test a thousand people, then we will know what a thousand women - 64 generations ago - looked like. Again this is oversimplified, because in all likelihood, the same mother would come up again and again; 800 of those thousand women may be the same women. No matter how I look at it, I cannot make the numbers give me even a .0001% chance of finding Lehi's mother's DNA 2600 years later.

Again link the study or post it's proper name. The only study I found contradicts the BoM. Your summary above is an argument from ignorance and gap argument not evidence for your claim.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
rrosslopf, why do you continue to even try to have a dialogue with these folks? Haven't you figured out that they're going to keep at you till the day you die? It's a game for them, and no evidence you could conceivably present is going to make an ounce of difference to them. No matter what you say, they'll just insist that your evidence isn't really evidence at all. As my friend, Draka, once observed, "Debating some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good at playing chess you are, the pigeon is just going to knock down all the pieces, poop on the board, and walk around all triumphant." You've provided some very good evidence to support your claims, but you've wasted enough of your time.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
rrosslopf, why do you continue to even try to have a dialogue with these folks? Haven't you figured out that they're going to keep at you till the day you die? It's a game for them, and no evidence you could conceivably present is going to make an ounce of difference to them. No matter what you say, they'll just insist that your evidence isn't really evidence at all. As my friend, Draka, once observed, "Debating some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good at playing chess you are, the pigeon is just going to knock down all the pieces, poop on the board, and walk around all triumphant." You've provided some very good evidence to support your claims, but you've wasted enough of your time.
rrosslopf has supplied no evidence to support his position that is not both tainted by Mormon apologetic and also falsified by modern science. Come to think of it ... you've not done any better.

Neither of you actually understand the rules of the game you are trying to play. The rules, in a nutshell, are to make logical and reasonable arguments in support of a position based on information gleaned from refereed scientific publications. When you want to advance a claim that flies in the face of what is generally accepted as fact (based again on refereed scientific publications) it is required that you make a singularly strong case (Sagan's rule, "Extraordinarily claims required extraordinary evidence).

Your friend Draka is describing a game know as "Pigeon Chess" an apocryphal pseudo-game that you don't even know the origin of ... it's a description of how CREATIONISTS (and by extension "believers" of any sort) behave:

From The Urban Dictionary:
Pigeon chess
Refers to having a pointless debate with somebody utterly ignorant of the subject matter, but standing on a dogmatic position that cannot be moved with any amount of education or logic, but who always proclaims victory.

From Rationalwiki:
"Pigeon Chess," or "like playing chess with a pigeon" is a figure of speech originating from a comment made in March 2005 on Amazon by Scott D. Weitzenhoffer regarding Eugenie Scott's book: "Evolution vs. Creationism: An introduction":

“”Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon — it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory."

Andrew Schlafly was similarly described for his contributions to Usenet talk.origins in 2002: "I tried it for a while, but arguing with Andy is like playing chess with a small child who doesn't know the rules."

The 2007 cartoon "King me!" by Rudis Muiznieks uses a similar joke and has achieved some notice in the skepticsphere:
Kingme.png

Pigeon chess rather precisely describes rrosslopf's posts here.

Last edited:

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
it's a description of how CREATIONISTS (and by extension "believers" of any sort) behave:
These are the rules I try to live by, although I don't always succeed; let's see who is pooping on the board...

1) Never belittle another person.
2) Always answer with consideration for the other person.
3) Give honest detailed answers.
4) Admit when the other person makes a good point.
5) Prefer facts to opinions, and eye witness testimony over speculation.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
These are the rules I try to live by, although I don't always succeed; let's see who is pooping on the board...

Those are all good rules. I pretty much live by those, too. I just have one more: "Pick your fights." That's just my opinion. If you're enjoying yourself, good for you. As I said before, you've posted some worthwhile information. It's just that nobody's paying any attention.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
The DNA issue is a complicated one. As much as I've read on the subject - and I have read several papers - I am not convinced that the science has arrived to that position where it can disprove the Book of Mormon. I have found geneticists on both sides of the fence. I am not claiming that anyone has found, without doubt, Israelite DNA among Native Americans. I am claiming that no one can completely rule it out. The Emory University study from 1998 couldn't rule it out. According to their conculsions, 4 out of 5 haplogroups were Asian, the 5th haplogroup being European or Northern Israelite. Dr. Scott Woodward, microbiologist, did a presentation on MDNA at BYU where he said that we shouldn't be able to find any MDNA from Lehi in current generations; the MDNA from preexisting populations would quickly overwhelm the MDNA of a small influx of people. mtDNA seems to have some problems as well, as known Jewish groups have wildly different mtDNA. The Lemda of North Africa, for example, have mtDNA that is indistinguishable from the other African tribes.
The fact that you are not convinced of something is utterly meaningless. If you are, in fact, not claiming that Israelite DNA has been found among Native Americans, then you should let your voice drop. You are claiming that "no one can completely rule it out" but that is no different than claiming that this paper may be cited as evidence of aliens abduction and sexual manipulation of Amerind DNA since that can no be completely ruled out either. This is more Pigeon Chess, you don't understand the rules (or the paper), you are engaged in a type two statistical error and on the basis of that error you are declaring victory.
Yes, the 1998 Emory University study postulated very early dates for all the haplotypes, even though some small percentage of modern mixing of bloodlines was assumed. So unless their dates were way off, it really doesn't tell us anything about the Book of Mormon, or the likelihood of the base population being altered by a small influx of non-Asian DNA. Everyone is so eager to explain what DNA tells us, that it is harder to discover what DNA doesn't tell us. It reminds me of the old chessboard story, where the king wants to reward the inventor of chess. The inventor suggests putting a single grain of wheat on the first square, two on the 2nd, four on the 3rd, and so forth doubling each time until every square has been filled. What the king doesn't realize, is that the final weight of the wheat is more than the weight of the earth. The puzzle of genetics seems to be the obverse; instead of doubling, it is halved 64 times (in 64 generations), and recombined. With an average generation of 25 years, 64 generations would equal about 1600 years. So after the relatively short time of 1600 years, a complete map of DNA becomes almost impossible, needing the ability to expand that 1% of the DNA that doesn't represent the 4 main haplotypes(in the case of Native Americans), perhaps a million times or more, just to get a crude picture of what else might be present in the last two millenia. This is oversimplified, because DNA doesn't really behave like this; people don't keep the genetic material from every ancestor. Maternal DNA, for example, is passed down to both sons and daughters from their mother, but only the daughters continue to carry it on to the next generation. So if I were to look at my mother's mtDNA, it would be a close match to just one of millions of mothers 64 generations past. If we test a thousand people, then we will know what a thousand women - 64 generations ago - looked like. Again this is oversimplified, because in all likelihood, the same mother would come up again and again; 800 of those thousand women may be the same women. No matter how I look at it, I cannot make the numbers give me even a .0001% chance of finding Lehi's mother's DNA 2600 years later.
You need to look up the mitochondrial DNA and gain an appreciation for how it is duplicated and what the presence and absence of various haplotypes demonstrates.
I did go back and read my posts. Perhaps you should as well.
I did, we are still waiting for you to provide the post numbers.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Yes, it is a fact. Here is a statement by archeologist Wade Miller:
"I have Carbon-14 dates on horses that are as recent as 800 years. Other dates are only 1200 years to 1400 years ago."
Not a "fact" but a claim by Miller. His claim is, interestingly enough, not made in a peer reviewed journal where he would be expected to provide the bona fides of the lab where the analysis was performed as well as all the calibration details, especially when the analysis is being used to support such an extraordinary claim.
It is not a red herring. The Curly horses of North America, which persist to this day, are not closely related to any known Asian horse. Where did they come from? And when? There is no evidence that the Spanish brought them over, and no Spanish breeds even look like them.
A red herring and a patently false claim to boot (see: "Iberian Origins of New World Horse Breeds". Jhered.oxfordjournals.org.doi:10.1093/jhered/esj020 )
Henry C. Mercer in his book "The Hill-Caves of Yucatan", talks of finding several horse bones, which were not fossilized. These bones were not carbon-dated, but later examined by paleontologist Edward D. Cope, who determined that they were the Mexican horse.
If not dated, what is the point?
Another discovery of ancient horse bones was found in a cenote at Mayapan. Bones from both the Mexican horse and the Western horse were found along side pottery fragments. (Journal of Mammalogy, Vol. 38, May 1957, No. 2)
Dr. Peter Schmidt of ENAH (Escuela Nacional de Antropología e Historia) found 44 horse bones mixed with ceramics from level one to level 7 at Loltun cave, level 7 being carbon dated to 1805 BC. (Origenes Del Hombre Americano, by Alba Gonzalez Jacome, Sept 1987) He suggested that the survival of the Mexican horse may need to be extended to the beginning of the ceramic era.
No, that is a gross misinterpretation of the find.

A summary of the animal remains in the Loltun Cave was provided by the Hatts, who in 1929 and 1947 explored fourteen “cenotes” and dug in nine of them:

"The time range represented is from over 28,400 yr BP. Not all taxa are found throughout this long period, but they can be divided into three main groups (Table 10.3). Group I (Holocene and Pleistocene) is formed by those species that occur through most of the stratigraphic sequence, accounting for more than half of the identified of the identified species (n = 39, 57.3 percent). Group 2 (n = 18 species, 26.5 percent) is composed of those species found only in the Holocene sediments. Species that occurred only in the Pleistocene strata constitute Group 3. "

"Table 10.3 Mammal Species from Loltun Cave Divided According to Their Temporal Record in the Excavation.

Group 1- Holocene and Pleistocene
Didelphis marsupialis, Marmosa canescens,M. Mexicana, Cryptotis, Cryptotis mayensis, Peropteryx macrotis, Pteronotus parnellii, Mormoops megalophylla, Chrotopterus auritus, Glossophaga soricina, Stumira lilium, Artibeus jamaicensis, hiroderma villosum, Desmodus rotundus, Diphylla ecaudata,Eptesicus furinalis, Lasiurus ega I. Intermedius, Nyctinomops laticaudatus, Herpailurus yagouaroundi, Leopardus pardalis, L. wiedii, Puma concolor, Panthera onca, Conepatus semistriatus, Spilogale putorius, Nasua narica, Mazama sp, Odocoileus virginiamus, Pecari tajacu, Sciurus deppei, S. yucatanemis, Orthogeomys hispidus, Heteromys gaumeri, Oryzomys couesi, Ototylomys phyllotis, Peromyscus leucopus, P. yucatanicus, Sigmodon hispidus, Sylvilagus floridanus.

Group 2 – Holocene Only
Philander opposum, Pteronotus davyi, Carollia brevicauda, Centurio senex, Natalus stramineus, Myotis keaysi, Eumops bonariensis, E. underwoodi, Promops centralis, Molossus rufus, Dasypus novemcinctus, Canis familiaris, Urocyon cinereoargenteus, Bassariscus sumichrasti, Procyon lotor, Mustela frenata, Coendou mexicanus, agouti paca

Group 3 – Pleistocene Only
Marmosa lorenzoi, desmodus cf. D draculae, Canis dirus, C. latrans, C. lupus, mephitis sp, Cuvieronius sp, Equus Conversidens, Bison sp, Hemiauchenia sp, Sylvilagus brasiliensis" page 267

Note that Equus Conversidens is listed as ONLY Pleistocene. The Bison reference is to a now extinct species that was extanct during the Pleistocene era. This is likely what Mercer originally thought were "cattle" bones."

Now, where were the Pleistocene animal remains found? The next citation makes it very clear:

"The Pleistocene mammal fauna from Loltun Cave consist of those remains from the bottom of Level VII downward and is represented by fifty species (Groups 1 and 3) in forty genera, twenty-three families, and nine orders. This variety is one of the largest from the late Pleistocene of Mexico (Arroyo-Cabrales et al, in press; Kurten and Anderson 1981). Furthermore, it is the most diverse fossil mammal fauna for the Neotropical region of North and CentralAmerica (Fernasquia-Villafranca 1978; Webb and Perrigo 1984)."

There was only one citation that made the dating of the horse bones seem questionable, and it certainly wasn’t placing them up in level V. This citation does not contradict the previous one, because we already know the scientists say that the demarcation between the Pleistocene era and the Holocene era could be in the bottom of Level VII. This would be around 9,500 BC.

"To date, a comprehensive publication on the site has not been produced; however, several studies have reported on some of the important findings from the excavations by INAH. These findings include layers with ceramics and lithics, and layers with only lithics in association with extinct animals. These ceramic lithic layers are important for assessing the purpose and lifestyle of the first human beings that occupied the Yucatan Peninsula. Other studies cover lithic morphology and typology (Konieczna 1981), and biological remains, such as mammal bones (Alvarez and Polaco 1972; Alvarez and Arroyo-Cabrales 1990; Arroyo-Cabrales and Alvarez 1990), mollusk shells (Alvarez and Polaco 1972), and plants (Montufar 1987; Xelhuanzi-Lopex 1986).

It is clear that Loltun Cave is an important site because of the presence of lithic tools and Pleistocene fauna, though doubts still exist about the stratigraphic and temporal associations. The presence of Pleistocene Equus conversidens in ceramic layers has been interpreted as possible proof of the survival of the extinct horse into the Holocene (Schdmit 1988)."

Level VII is a ceramic level, and we already know that the animals were at the bottom of Level VII. There is uncertainty as to whether the demarcation between the Pleistocene and Holocene eras would be in Level VIII or at the bottom of Level VII. The rest of the citations in this book accept the placement of the demarcation in Level VII.

Now could this be evidence of the horse in the BoM time period? Nonsense. This is like Sorenson’s earlier statement that supposedly finding pockets of extinct animals surviving into 8,000 BC would constitute evidence for the BoM. We are still talking about many thousands of years prior to the BoM time period.

Yet another citation refers to this particular find. The following is obtained from the text “The Cambridge History of the Native Peoples of North America”, page 62, which is available from a google book search:

"Currently, only one site in Mesoamerica supports the hypothesis of human occupation in lowland environments before 12,000 years ago. In the Puuc Hills of northern Yucatan, the lowest levels of excavations reported by R. Velazquez at Loltun Cave have produced some crude stone and bone tools along with the remains of horse, mastodon, and other now extinct Pleistocene animals. Felines, deer, and numerous rodents round out the archaeological assemblage. No radiocarbon dates have been forthcoming for this proposed early components that underlies later ceramic occupations. On the basis of stone tool typology and faunal association, MacNeish has proposed that the lower levels of Loltun Cave are somewhere between 40,000 and 15,000 years old."

This citation demonstrates that the horse remains were identified as extinct Pleistocene animals, and were located in the lower levels underlying the ceramic levels.

To summarize this section, here are the “if….then” questions that need to be evaluated in context.

if the horse did exist in Mesoamerica during Book of Mormon times, then not a single bone or tooth from any of these horses has ever been discovered, despite the fact that the remains of an abundance of other animals have been discovered in Mesoamerica

if horses existed in ancient Mesoamerica during the Book of Mormon time period, then despite the fact that ancient Mesoamericans depicted many animals in art and ideology, they never depicted a horse or included the horse in any of their mythology

if the horse existed in Mesoamerica since Jaredite times, then it left no trace of the sort of social evolutionary impact that we see in other cultures that possessed the horse

if the Book of Mormon “horse” is really a tapir, then tapirs were domesticated only by one small group of people, never to be replicated by anyone else, despite sharing characteristics that disqualify large mammals from domestication

It is clear that each of these proposals is highly unlikely, and fails to fit within the context of not only what we know about ancient Mesoamerica, but what we know about the history of other peoples in other parts of the world, as well.

With thanks to: http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com/

Sapiens

Polymathematician
So what? Were the indians known to build with concrete? No. Were indian teepees built of concrete? No. Is there any reason for Joseph Smith or anyone else in 1830 New England to believe that the indians had once built houses out of concrete? None. Is concrete found in every society, independently invented? No. Did the chinese have concrete? No, hydrolic lime, the cement for modern concrete, was invented in the Middle East around 700 BC, where it was used for building houses, and cisterns. The Mayans also used hydrolic lime, becoming expert in its use around 100 AD. We don't know if it was an independent discovery, or whether they somehow learned the skill from the Middle East, but either way, there was no reason for Joseph Smith to believe that anyone in America once had it. let alone pinpoint the date at which it came into vogue.
Ancient Mesoamericans made a type of “cement” out of limestone. It was then used as a plaster overcoat on top of rubble and stonework. Here are a couple of paragraphs from the book Life in the Ancient Maya World, by Lynn V. Foster, that explains:

“The Maya constructed cities with complexes that could cover many football fields and pyramidal ones that rose to heights of 70 meters (231 feet), yet they built their cities with Stone Age technology. No steel beams supported pyramids or vaults, no metal tools were available to quarry stone or to carve it. Instead, wooden beams, stone, and lime cement were the structural building blocks; rope-and-water abrasion and stone and obsidian tools provided the basic technology of Maya cities." (238)

Limestone was burned under intense heat to make plaster, or stucco, and cement. To make a small pile of plaster (0.9 meters, or 3 feet high), 20 trees had to be felled and burned. Plaster on exterior walls weather poorly, so little is recovered during excavation. There is enough evidence, however, to indicate that some buildings were colored red or cream by the addition of either iron oxide or organic materials to the plaster. Lime cement was used as mortar or fill at many sites, including Palenque and Uxmal." (239)

THE BOOK OF HELAMAN: CHAPTER 3

Many Nephites migrate to the land northward—They build houses of cement and keep many records—Tens of thousands are converted and baptized—The word of God leads men to salvation—Nephi the son of Helaman fills the judgment seat. Between 49 and 39 B.C.

4 And they did travel to an exceedingly great distance, insomuch that they came to large bodies of water and many rivers.
5 Yea, and even they did spread forth into all parts of the land, into whatever parts it had not been rendered desolate and without timber, because of the many inhabitants who had before inherited the land.
6 And now no part of the land was desolate, save it were for timber; but because of the greatness of the destruction of the people who had before inhabited the land it was called desolate.
7 And there being but little timber upon the face of the land, nevertheless the people who went forth became exceedingly expert in the working of cement; therefore they did build houses of cement, in the which they did dwell.

Apologists believe that this is a significant “hit” for the Book of Mormon. They claim that cement appeared ‘suddenly’ in ancient Mesoamerica around 100 AD.

“The use of cement appears abruptly in Mesoamerican archaeology around the first century A.D., as, for example, in these cement buildings at Teotihuacan in the Valley of Mexico. The Book of Mormon states that some Nephite dissenters who moved in a land northward "became exceeding expert in the working of cement" and built "cities both of wood and of cement" beginning in 46 B.C. (Hel. 3:7, 11). Courtesy John W. Welch.”

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/book_of_mormon/economy_technology.html]

In reality, the use of limestone cement as a plaster overlay was used long prior to that period, and prior to Teotihuacan’s famous use of it. The only reason the BoM apologists want to connect Teotihuacan to the cited scriptures is due to the noted “lack of trees”. Teotihuacan did, indeed, experience an ecological catastrophe that probably contributed to its demise around 500 AD. However, there are problems with trying to connect this to Helaman.

One – Helaman notes the construction of cement cities as an unusual phenomenon. Yet the use of limestone plaster was in use long before this date. In one of the earliest Mesoameican cities, Nakbe, demonstrated the architectural style:

“Complex societies flourished in the Petan region during the Middle to late Formative Period (600/500-300 BC). Monumental architecture was established in Nakbé as early as the 8th century BC. By 750 BC Nakbé had some structures that reached the height of 20 meters (66 feet) high. By 800 BC, Nakbé had grown to extend to over 50 hectars (124 acres). During this time the city was replaced its collection of low platforms of rough stones surmounted by wattle-and-daub structures with a number of high platforms and temples covered in plaster.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakbé

Two – the BoM has the cause/effect reversed. In Teotihuacan, it was the excessive use of limestone plaster that CAUSED the deforestation, due to the high number of trees needed to produce the prerequisite heat.
“Teotihuacan at the Time of the Fall

In dividing up the chronology of Teotihuacan, archaeologists identify the last two periods as being the Xolalpan Phase (A.D. 450-650) during which time the city reached dizzying heights in art, architecture, and cultural influence, and the Metepec Phase (A.D. 650-750), during which time the Empire went into sharp decline before it suddenly and mysteriously combusted.

Scholar G. C. Valliant wrote of the final period of Teotihuacan, that "Teotihuacan was built over hastily with the maximum use of original construction. The abrupt change in figurine styles suggests new gods were being honored. The drain on human resources implicit in such large scale construction, would lead readily to revolt under the strain"20.

Villiant was also the first to suggest that the massive deforestation of the surrounding area to produce limestone caused the drying up of streams and erosions of fields, ruining the surrounding farmland.”

http://www.ericrosenfield.com/teotihuacan.html
Third – as seen in the link above, Teotihuacan actually was at its prime in 450-650 AD. The problematic deforestation occurred past the BoM time period. BoM apologists Brant Gardner attempts to “correct” this problem by asserting that the editor Mormon engaged in “presentism” by inserting information about Teotihuacan from HIS time period into the ancient text, and there is no way the authors of Helaman would have actually known about this area in the first place. This is completely unsupported by the text, and moreover, even this time adjustment does not put the severe deforestation in the right BoM time period.

http://www.fairlds.org/FAIR_Conferences/2002_Gadianton_Robbers_in_Mormons_Theological_History.html

People during JS’ period were aware of the astounding discoveries in Central America. The pyramids were receiving press already by that period. In addition, other authors of JS’ time period implied the use of similar materials. An example can be found in the Spalding Manuscript, as noted here:
http://solomonspalding.com/SRP/SCIOTA/Bown04a.htm

“28. Some modern building methods were used.

MS -- The inside of the walls of the houses of the Ohons "were formed of clay, which was plastered over with a thin coat of lime" The chimney of their fireplaces were built of split timber on the inside "(with wet dirt or clay) of which they plaster, dirt or clay -- which compleatly covers & adheres to the timber & prevents the fire from having any operation upon it." (p. 23)

BM -- "And there being but little timber upon the face of the land, nevertheless the people who went forth became exceedingly expert in the working of cement; therefore they did build houses of cement, in which they did dwell." (Helaman 3:7) Cf. also Helaman 3:9, 11. 9

Sapiens

Polymathematician
It is probably incorrect to view the structures and building methods of either source as being exclusively "modern." About the only Spalding building element that would be an out-of-place addition to known pre-Columbian homes would be his fireplace with a draft chimney. But this is not found in Book of Mormon structures. The "cement" mentioned in the Book of Mormon may have been similar to Spalding's "plaster," but such building materials were known in the ancient Americas (see also Bown's item #29).:

It is probably incorrect to view the structures and building methods of either source as being exclusively "modern." About the only Spalding building element that would be an out-of-place addition to known pre-Columbian homes would be his fireplace with a draft chimney. But this is not found in Book of Mormon structures.

Exactly what the Book of Mormon writer meant by the word "cement" is unclear. Presumably he did not mean reinforced concrete construction, but rather the cementing of stones to produce structural walls. Joseph Smith, jr. used the term with this general meaning when he spoke of finding a cemented stone box of Nephite construction. Structures built of cemented stone, plastered over on the outside and roofed with wood, sod, or additional rock work could have been erected by Book of Mormon peoples and Spalding's Ohians with equal ease. The civilized peoples of both accounts appear to have reached about the same level of technology and both would have generally had the same building materials to work with.

Bown is thus incorrect in seeing this type of building as being exclusively "modern." Primitive cement can be made from a mixture of ground limestone, sand, clay and a bit of vegetable fiber. Such a material would weather and deteriorate in most climates, leaving little evidence in the archaeological record.

If Bown meant this generality to serve as a parallel, he should have said something similar to my comments given for his item #28. It is a bit unclear whether Book of Mormon peoples built houses of wood and houses of cement, or whether they built some houses exclusively out of wood and others of both wood and cement. Houses like those described by Spalding, built of plastered wood, could easily be essentially the same as structures built both of wood and cement. Perhaps Book of Mormon "cement" was little more than a structurally stronger version of Ohian "plaster." At any rate, pre-Columbian houses of Spalding's exact type have never been uncovered. These fictional structures probably find their closest real equivalents in some of the highland constructions of ancient South America.”
Aside from the Spalding manuscript, the Mound Builders also used plaster, and remnants from this ancient culture were being discovered during Joseph Smith’s time period and area. Here’s one example:

"Evidences of the work of these people are found in many of the eastern states and as far south as Tennessee in great abundance. The mounds are numerous along the Mississippi Valley in Iowa, extending from Dubuque at intervals through Jackson, Clinton, Scott, Muscatine, Louisa and other counties. Many of these when opened are found to contain skeletons partially preserved, with various implements, vessels, pipes and ornaments. One opened near Dubuque disclosed a vault divided into three cells. In the central cell was found eight skeletons sitting in a circle, while in the centre of the group was a drinking vessel made of a sea shell. The whole chamber was covered with logs preserved in cement."

With thanks to: http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com/
The Mormons haven't changed the Book of Mormon in this regard, nor have they bribed non-member archeologists to make up stories about the Maya. The most that you can say, is that the place - the American continent - isn't very specific. It is a broad target, but it is a target. Could you say - without access to the internet or any libraries - when cement was first used to build homes in Australia? Malasia? Formosa? Those are pretty big targets too.
Neither could Smith, he guessed and got it part right, but mostly wrong.

The Manchester Library had 421 books in 1830. What are odds that one of them was about olive husbandry? It seems extremely unlikely.

Yes, the testing was done on the carbon which surrounded the bones and the ceramics. What are you suggesting? The the Mayans ate a prehistoric horse and deposited the bones in their trash heap? That isn't what the archeologist suggested. He believed the extinction date needed to be moved up.
You can't date charcoal, which floats, and use that date for bones that sink. That should be rather simple to see.
Is this a game to you?
The pursuit of truth is never a game.
Which? Fossilization? Is it hard to determine whether something has turned to stone or not?

Where have you been hiding it all? You should have brought that out first.
I made it clear back in Post #20:
If you examine the internally consistent and cross fields consistent evidences that falsify the Mormon claims of Hebrews in North America, evidences that come from archaeology, paleontology, zoology, botany, geology, sociology, linguistics and damn near every other professional scientific discipline know to man it is obvious that there is no rational basis. If you similarly examine all the support from all these disciplines for the Mormon claims of Hebrews in North America you find them to be few and far between and they are, often as not, modified by phrases such as "could have" and "possibly." In any case, the claims never display robust consistency but rather demand reliance on anecdotes or singular observations that the Mormons attempt to inflate to generalities. For example, when the zoologist say that horses and elephants were extinct in North America the Mormon apologists try to conjure up a world where horses and elephants were widespread citing rare and singular bone finds that may, indeed, represent tiny relic remnant groups of such animals. The Mormons want to pretend that evidence that a tiny surviving herd of horses or mastodons falsifies what is know of the Pleistocene extinction and make likely the claims of the Book of Mormon. It doesn't wash.
Those are all good rules. I pretty much live by those, too. I just have one more: "Pick your fights." That's just my opinion. If you're enjoying yourself, good for you. As I said before, you've posted some worthwhile information. It's just that nobody's paying any attention.

I'd say that in this thread you've failed to live up to any of the five, you can't just say it, you've got to actually live it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But given how metalworking was done back then, each time the iron was melted down and reforged it got more & more carbon added into it, and once it passed the 2% threshold it became steel.
Iron actually becomes steel when when it's roughly in the 0.05% to 2.1% carbon range.
The real trick has historically been getting rid of the excess carbon, which was hard to do until Bessemer came along.
Above that, you'd have free carbon, typically (back then) in the form of flakes which cause stress concentrations & consequent brittleness.
And then there was wrought iron, which had additional impurities, which when hot worked, yielded better ductility, but were still weak.

Note:
The above is a massive over-simplification.
Ref....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessemer_process

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
Ancient Mesoamericans made a type of “cement” out of limestone. It was then used as a plaster overcoat on top of rubble and stonework.
"The Maya invention of hydraulic cement and the construction of cast in place concrete structures enabled the Maya to build their great high-rise cities. This durable material enabled the structures to withstand the ravages of time and the environment. They resisted the forces of earthquakes, hurricanes, and prying jungle growth to enable their survival after 2000 years." http://www.theoldexplorer.com/index.php/maya-technology/cement