• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morning after, over-the-counter medicine rejection by the FDA

Pah

Uber all member
Last year in 2004 the FDA announced that it, by virtue of it's acting-director sole decision on scientific concerns, would not approve sale of the pill to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex. Quoted from the Washington Post "[he] announced the rejection, he said the decision was his own, had been recently made and was based on scientific concerns"

The General Accounting Office is releasing a report that calls the action into question. It shows that the FDA's advisory panel, in late 2003, supported the decision on scientific grounds and that it's medical reviewers were also convinced. The leaders of the FDA expressed concern, at that time, about availability of the drug to young girls and how to keep it from them.

Morality vs science again - a minority religious morality overruled the scientific evaluation. Government supports it and government leaders lie about it.

Austin Cline said on About "This is what happens when the government becomes beholden to self-righteous, moralizing religious leaders who place religious ideology ahead of science and professional responsibility." I agree.

Sources
http://atheism.about.com/b/a/210471.htm?nl=1
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/12/AR2005101202607.html

This thread is about the inadvisablity of mixing science and religious morality in government.

Melody

Pah said:
"[he] announced the rejection, he said the decision was his own, had been recently made and was based on scientific concerns"
Bob,
Did I understand this correctly, that one person made this decision?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Disgusting.
I´m sure he really has to worry about getting pregnant.

And way to go, this will only cause more abortions. I hope he´s happy this little plan is going to backfire.

>:{

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Everyone these days claims science is on their side. Even when people make decissions based purely on moral views, they claim that their decissions were based on science. In order to do so, they often distort the available science. This is tantamount to lying.

Pah

Uber all member
Melody said:
Bob,
Did I understand this correctly, that one person made this decision?
Apparently. It follows from what he said and the fact he was head of the agency at the time.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
While saddened, I am not surprised when politicians and bureaucrats act like politicians and bureaucrats.

As Henry Kissinger once said, "90% of politicians give the other 10% a bad name."

Ceridwen018

The FDA should certainly not be concerned with "young girls getting ahold of it, and how to keep it from them." What they should be concerned with are the possible risks that this pill poses.

However, women have been using this pill for awhile now. Obviously, side effects are not an issue. As far as young girls getting it, I think that's a moot point. Even a young girl could get one if she wanted. Its the equivalent of high schoolers getting beer, really--not always easy, but not nearly impossible.

Pah

Uber all member
drekmed said:
i was under the impression that the FDA voted on these things through a board?
The boards probably did vote, but the final decision is always the choice of the department head.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Pah said:
..................."When Steven Galson, then-acting director of the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, announced the rejection, he said the decision was his own, had been recently made and was based on scientific concerns.".................

This thread is about the inadvisablity of mixing science and religious morality in government.
Oh yeah ? :rolleyes:

Quite. just about as good a mix as oil and water.

Engyo said:
While saddened, I am not surprised when politicians and bureaucrats act like politicians and bureaucrats.As Henry Kissinger once said, "90% of politicians give the other 10% a bad name."
great quote. nice to see our government thinking (and acting) in such realistic terms in 2005. idiots.