• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Boring Of All?

dave_

Dionysus definitely does not have an issue with his followers drinking, having sex, and partying. LHP religions do not have any such prohibitions, though it depends on the individual to partake or not. Nordic celebrations, among other things, are known for including drinking mead. In many tribal religions, the use of psychedelic substances are a part of religious rituals, and it's not unusual for a shaman to perform under the influence. To the Rastafarians, smoking marijuana is a sacred sacrament. To many neo-Pagans, and others such as Crowely and LaVey, sex is a good way to work up powerful levels of energy for performing ceremonies. I've also known some Christians who believe pot is a gift from God. And of course Christianity does not prohibit alcohol because Jesus turned water into wine, Judaism does not prohibit alcohol due to it being consumed in some holidays and ability to find Kosher alcohol, and Islam does not flat out ban alcohol consumption although it is generally regarded as best to refrain from it.

So is it buddhism?

dave_

I can assure you, meditation certainly need not be boring.

I am basically a buddhist so i know where you are coming from.Though i have my own perverted version of buddhism.I had to modify it to some extend to make it more fun and for it to make me more fun.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Hi dave_
In Judaism, there is a requirement and custom to drink the equivalent of a bottle of wine every Saturday. As well as some additional amount of alcoholic drink within at least two of the three meals.
In Judaism, there is a requirement and custom to drink half a bottle of wine per day of holiday.
In Judaism, there is a holiday where it is required and customary to get flat out on the floor drunk.

Please refrain from false generalizations in the future.

I wonder, have I racked up enough points to get into Jew-Heaven? I mean, I did all that without knowing it pleased YHWH, so surely I am basically a saint about now. Or is it spoiled by the fact that a good 40% of those drinks were accompanied by pork or meat with cheese?

Donmax

I believe God favors boredom

Could be right because according to religion God created everything and all in six days so it would be understandable that after he created everything he found himself with nothing else to do, so he got bored.

So does that mean he created boredom on the seventh day. :beermug:

SpeaksForTheTrees

I believe God favors boredom.You have to give up all the funny things to get closer to the god.For example in buddhism you sit doing nothing but breathing.In abrahamic religions you stay away from all fun things like alcohol etc.Almost all religious leaders have boring hats.So which religion is the most boring of all?Why?
Eternity is a long time and its going to get boring..

Baladas

An Págánach
I believe God favors boredom.You have to give up all the funny things to get closer to the god.For example in buddhism you sit doing nothing but breathing.In abrahamic religions you stay away from all fun things like alcohol etc.Almost all religious leaders have boring hats.So which religion is the most boring of all?Why?

I'm not sure that I would call any particular religion boring...I suppose something with extended church services (meetings) that involve a lot of repetitive motions.

Christianity does not ban alcohol.

My old youth pastor brews his own beer. lol :D

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I find religion offers nothing of the sort. Living on the other hand offers every thing.
Many, myself included, find religion gives me everything to be happy and content. I don't think I could find the same in the sensual life.

Thana

Lady

You can drink in Judaism and Christianity.

Ecclesiastes 9:7 -
"Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do."

All the bible says is just don't be a complete drunkard fool.

And not everyone finds fulfillment in casual sex and long nights of drinking and partying.
Some of us enjoy peace and quiet contemplation.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
But it's not a false generalization.Jews doesn't consist of majority of followers of abrahamic religions.Christianity and islam bans alcohol so we can say in general abrahamic religions say to stay away from alcohol.

Since Jesu turned water into wine, I would find it odd for Xianity to ban alcohol. ie, it doesn't seem to, actually.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Many, myself included, find religion gives me everything to be happy and content. I don't think I could find the same in the sensual life.
I didn't say the sensual life. Just life.

edit and I find the religion can rob life of these things.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe God favors boredom.You have to give up all the funny things to get closer to the god.For example in buddhism you sit doing nothing but breathing.

Ehh, there's more to Buddhism than doing nothing but breathing. Unless you're a particularly lazy Buddhist I suppose.

In abrahamic religions you stay away from all fun things like alcohol etc.

Lol maybe Islam. And even then I'm sure you can find Muslims who partake in a little "adult grape juice."
Christians don't have a prohibition against alcohol. Certain sects of Christianity do, but that's not all Christians. Half my family is Catholic and they drink like fish! Also they like Communion to be real wine, for authenticity sake I'm sure. ;)

Almost all religious leaders have boring hats..
Have you SEEN religious hats, mate?

8795dfbc24e69cc740acdcf3b04c852f57ea4a4c.jpg

So which religion is the most boring of all?Why?

I don't know. But I do recall often hearing from very bubbly people "if you need alcohol to have a good time, chances are you're pretty boring to begin with.":D:p
Not that I'm completely averse to some drinks myself, mind you.

JoStories

But it's not a false generalization.Jews doesn't consist of majority of followers of abrahamic religions.Christianity and islam bans alcohol so we can say in general abrahamic religions say to stay away from alcohol.
Christianity does not prohibit alcohol. Some may hold that position but for most, including my mother, who is a devout Christian, they drink on occasion. Some churches still use wine for communion.