• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most important science fiction universe of our Generation?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Futurama wins, hands down!
It has more inky antics than all others combined.
exit-zoidberg-o.gif

Video games....does anyone still play those things?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Star Trek, particularly Next Gen, still has my vote. Larger than average female cast (it was the late 80's afterall), questions about what is life, what is human, ethical treatments of others, moral obligations, and non-interference, and plenty of references to classic literature to keep the well-read fans entertained.
Though I may have to try this Mass Effect out when I can get my PS3 fixed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Star Trek, particularly Next Gen, still has my vote. Larger than average female cast (it was the late 80's afterall), questions about what is life, what is human, ethical treatments of others, moral obligations, and non-interference, and plenty of references to classic literature to keep the well-read fans entertained.
I agree about STTNG being the best of the live action shows.
And the babes were all hot & trim in their tight little uniforms.

Shad

Veteran Member
For my generation, Y or Millennials, in film Star Trek and Star Wars. For TV it was Star Trek. Dune become a cult classic years later so I exclude it from my list.

Kerr

To be fair it says its the most important science fiction universe of "our" generation, not of all time. Which is the generation from the 90s and on... seems rather arbitrary to me, though :shrug:.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
To be fair it says its the most important science fiction universe of "our" generation, not of all time. Which is the generation from the 90s and on... seems rather arbitrary to me, though :shrug:.
Being an 80's kid, I get to claim Next Gen as a part of my generation. I didn't understand much of it back then, but I still grew up watching Captain Picard and his crew seek out new life and cultures to learn about and boldly going where no one has gone before.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
That I like Star Wars and Star Trek better, personally :p. But Mass Effect is pretty neat as well. To claim its the most important science fiction universe of our generation seems to be blowing it out of proportion to me.

Star Trek is my favorite and I mean most of them: The Original, TNG, DS9, and Voyager. And I've seen all the Star Wars movies, too. :)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I think Mass Effect might have been the most significant science fiction trilogy going forward, except for that stupid controversy.

Alceste

Vagabond
I think it's whatever universe comes from the mind of Paolo Bacigalupi. Ship Breaker, the Windup Girl, his short stories - take your pick.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'm not sure what our generation, and I don't think I'd necessarily classify any science fiction universe as "important," however, I think some of the most influential, rich, and compelling are the universes of Frank Herbert's Dune, Larry Niven's Known Space universe (Ringworld, etc.), and the universe of Dan Simmons' Hyperion Quartet.