• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most important science fiction universe of our Generation?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think Mass Effect might have been the most significant science fiction trilogy going forward, except for that stupid controversy.
What controversy is that?
I started playing Mass Effect, while it is still early in the game for me, so far the "KOTOR-shooter" hasn't impressed me much. Though I did decide I probably will write about the way that system of government (the Council and ambassadors) is set up for my philosophy paper about a fictional government.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
Wizard of os. The new one mmkay. I can't stop staring at the man. Goose bumps uncontrollably wither away my flesh upon thinking I might have a chance.

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
Killzone might be a horrible video game franchise for some, but for me its Sci-fi universe is much more appealing than Mass Effect's. Same goes for Binary Domain.

Different strokes for different folks.

Kerr

Being an 80's kid, I get to claim Next Gen as a part of my generation. I didn't understand much of it back then, but I still grew up watching Captain Picard and his crew seek out new life and cultures to learn about and boldly going where no one has gone before.
And since you are an 80s kid, you dont belong to "our" generation, since its from the 90s and on. Because reasons! Dont me sad over that, though. I dont belong to "our" generation either.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What controversy is that?
I started playing Mass Effect, while it is still early in the game for me, so far the "KOTOR-shooter" hasn't impressed me much. Though I did decide I probably will write about the way that system of government (the Council and ambassadors) is set up for my philosophy paper about a fictional government.

Completely ignore any discussion about Mass Effect until you've played all three games, beginning to end. Then search for those discussions.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
My son and I have a system for determining the "importance" of media ... it is all about how many phrases make it into the general parlance. That argues for Star Trek and Star Wars ... but in my heart or hearts I have to pull for Star Gate, if just for the homage it pays to it's predecessors and it's longevity.

"Can I call it Enterprise?"

"We'll just have to jump off that bridge when we come to it."

"Amazing. This is what was missing from the dig at Giza. This is how they controlled it. It took us 15 years and three supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

"My name is Skywalker, Luke Skywalker." (Homage to both Starwars and Jame Bond).

Major Robert Thornbird: I'm Major Robert Thornbird. And you are?
Jack O'Neill: [coughs] Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise.
Major Robert Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
Jack O'Neill: They're lying.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Completely ignore any discussion about Mass Effect until you've played all three games, beginning to end. Then search for those discussions.
I'm gonna try, but it also depends on how much I can get done before my research paper is due. I am really curious about some of the aspects of the game, but it hasn't been gripping enough to get me to squeeze in extra time to play. I may end up having to read through guides, walk throughs, and faqs to get what I need in order to write about what seems, so far, to be heavily divided, multi-tiered, grossly unequal government.